Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about the folks who post on the NC/SC forums--How many MTB miles did you get in last year? How many volunteer hours did you contribute to organized (SORBA, IMBA, DSF, etc) trail-related efforts? I ended up with just over 760 miles for the year and almost 205 hours volunteer time...
TZ

·
drunken pirate
1,414 Posts
azdrawdy said:
The volunteer hours ain't for bragging rights. It is something we do to help foster our relationship with the land managers.

MD
I've never been asked by a land manager how many hours I volunteer. I spoke to Randy Burgess on the phone last year and he never asked me how many hours I've volunteered. I know that volunteer hours are logged and tracked by volunteer groups so that they can keep track of and get credit for work done but other than personal satisfaction (or perhaps indeed bragging rights) I don't know why a single individual's number of volunteer hours matters. I don't do much official organized trail work and have no problem admitting that.

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
I don't know why a single individual's number of volunteer hours matters.

Did you know that the miles driven for non-profit volunteer work is a tax deduction?

:cool:

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
I've never kept detailed records of rides, but can understand that its fun for those who do. I actually have an odometer. Found it on the trail... makes a great little clock.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
extrmtao said:
I don't even carry a time piece with me while I ride. That's why I always want to push further up the parkway. . .

I rode some miles, did some trail work.
Ditto. In fact the lack of a clock has gotten me in trouble a few times with my wife. Silly stuff like riding too long and showing up late for dinner.

I did some trail hours here and there but not nearly as many hours as I spent riding. Thank god for that. Now if we started counting the hours I spent on the internet then we would have some impressive numbers.:thumbsup:

Happy New Year everybody!

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
azdrawdy said:
The volunteer hours ain't for bragging rights. It is something we do to help foster our relationship with the land managers.

MD
I'm really not trying to sound like a jerk or "brag" here, although I know this far-too-long post could read that way...bear with me.

On organized group trail work days that I was the facilitator for this past year, I did keep track of my hours and those of many others totaling over 1000 hours of time and turn them into PAS. Today, however, I have no idea or record of how many personal hours this equalled. .

I signed all the sign in logs for organized trail work days led by others that I attended. Again, today, I have no idea how many total hours this was.

I spent COUNTLESS personal hours at Richmond Hill this past year flagging new trail, meeting with environmental assessors, meeting with city staff, clearing trail corridor, etc. On these days, when it's just me or 1-2 other people ,I wil admit I did not keep track of the time or report it to anyone.

I attended at least one meeting each month for the past year associated with PAS. I have no idea how many hours this totalled.

I volunteered for numerous events linked to mountain biking and fund raising, but not trail work. Again, I have no idea today how many hours this totalled, but somebody kept track of that at the time.

What I'm trying to say here is that the hours I give get reported when appropriate and relavent...and then I move on. What I don't do is keep a personal record of totals. I just don't have the time, interest, or energy. I enjoy life, including most of the volunteering, too much for this.

Regarding ride miles, I started carrying a GPS this past November (because I love maps and devices both plus I needed it for some trail work projects) and could probably sort through it's data to get a total for a few months. But, again, I don't have the time, interest, or energy.

Now, if it were tax deductible....

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's About the Land Manager...

azdrawdy said:
MD
Right, MD--It's all about the land manager relationship. While Randy Burgess didn't ask Driftwood about his volunteer hours, Randy knows how many hours MTB volunteers reported last year. He also knows how many hours were reported by various hiking and equestrian groups, as well. And I suspect that the hours reported by each user group have some influence on how those groups' interests and requests are addressed by the USFS...

That gets me to the reason for my OP. PAS reported about 2200 volunteer hours last year. While that looks like a lot of time in raw numbers, when you consider that the current membership of PAS is ~185 people, the reported volunteer time (at ~12 hours per member) appears less significant. I know that a big part of that appearance is that the PAS logging system doesn't capture all the hours of volunteers like Mike Brown and others who have given HUGE chunks of time to pet projects. That begs the question about how many volunteer hours MTB users really represent on our public lands. While a simple post like this can't completely answer that question, it can demonstrate that the 2200 hours reported by PAS reflect only the tip of the iceberg of our volunteer hours... If our volunteer hours affect how land managers consider our interests, do we need to improve our methods of capturing and reporting time spent working on trail-related projects?

TZ

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
If you read Dupont State Forests's supervisor reports found on the website every year. You will see that they report the number of trail/work hours logged by each specific user group.

So I would tend to agree that although numbers are just that, they are out there and visible. . .either good or bad.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.