Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I can't find much info (weight etc.) on the difference between these. I heard that the CL rotors block the adjustment on the hub so you can't do it on the bike.
I run formula or XTR brakes and XTR CL rotors are compatible with both, as well I can't see any issues running a CL adapter on 6 bolt Formula rotors.

Is the CL wheel set lighter? is this still the case after you mount a 6 bolt rotor with an adapter?

Is it a big problem to block the adjuster?

I'm after any thoughts or arguments to go one way or another, I realize that in my situation it doesn't seem to matter either way, nut any info is appreciated, they aint cheap wheels!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mavic has an incredibly crappy freehub system that uses a nylon washer inboard of the cassette (instead of a bearing). I wore the nylon washer out in ~10 rides (admittedly with several stream crossing per ride). The nylon washer is not replaceable, you have to buy a new cassette body (~$60).

My 2008 Crossmax ST look great and are nicely made with that one glaring design flaw (they are not super stiff either but I can live with that).

My advice: if you ride anywhere with mud or water crossing (basically the entire East coast), go with a hub from King or Paul or White Ind or I9 etc.

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
...i think the difference with the hubs is about 15g lighter for the CL hubs.

personally i've never had to adjust the bearing tension during a ride, the adjuster side of the hub is not the rotor side - so there's nothing to stop you if you need to stop and fiddle about CL or 6 bolt.

12x lightest available Ti rotor bolts are about 24g
2x Alligator CL adaptors are about 42g

with CL adaptors its really easy to switch rotors front to back for wear check or replacement.

i have a Marta brakeset, if i'm going somewhere with long descents (and remember to) i'll switch the front rotor from SL to drilled for less brake fade. to do that with 6 bolt wheels can be a drag - with anti-seize Ti rotor bolt paste getting everywhere ect.

mine are older SLR's with enduro ceramic bearings replacing the worn out ones after 2 years no maintenace at all (its dry here also). no probs with them to grumble about, they spin great and take lots of abuse.

hope that helps

·
Registered
195 Posts
I believe the older Mavic hubs/cassette body had a sealed bearing where the current hub has a nylon washer.:madman:

culturesponge said:
...i think the difference with the hubs is about 15g lighter for the CL hubs.

personally i've never had to adjust the bearing tension during a ride, the adjuster side of the hub is not the rotor side - so there's nothing to stop you if you need to stop and fiddle about CL or 6 bolt.

12x lightest available Ti rotor bolts are about 24g
2x Alligator CL adaptors are about 42g

with CL adaptors its really easy to switch rotors front to back for wear check or replacement.

i have a Marta brakeset, if i'm going somewhere with long descents (and remember to) i'll switch the front rotor from SL to drilled for less brake fade. to do that with 6 bolt wheels can be a drag - with anti-seize Ti rotor bolt paste getting everywhere ect.

mine are older SLR's with enduro ceramic bearings replacing the worn out ones after 2 years no maintenace at all (its dry here also). no probs with them to grumble about, they spin great and take lots of abuse.

hope that helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.