Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Cloud City Wheelers are pleased to announce this year's Leadville Winter Mountain Bike Race Series!

*New this year!

*New race at North America's Highest golf course: Mt. Massive Golf Course.

*New Series Championship; best combined results from any 3 races wins a Surly Karate Monkey Frame!

*New Sponsor: Dale's Pale Ale!

*Sign up for three or more races and get a pair of Limited Edition Winter Series Socks from SOS

Here's the schedule!

-Jan. 17th The East Side Epic: A tour of Leadville's Historic Mining District / 8am Register/Check In @ Cycles of Life, 504 Harrison Ave Race starts @ 10am

-Feb. 7th Tennessee Pass Night Jam: Bring your lights to Tennessee Pass Nordic Center for a fast race through the trees at Ski Cooper / 5pm Register/Check In @ Tennessee Pass Nordic Center, Race starts @ 7pm

-Feb. 21st Golf Course Chaos: A unique 2 person relay race on a fast course with unbelievable views / 8am Register/Check In @ Mt. Massive Golf Course Race starts @ 10am

-March 8th Mineral Belt Mayhem : A 12 mile loop on Leadville's Beautiful Mineral Belt Trail: 7am Register/Check In @ Cycles of Life, 504 Harrison Ave. @ 504 Harrison Ave. Race starts @ 9am

-March 28th Tennessee Pass Spring Fling: Powder, slush, hard pack, Who cares? Lets Race! / 2pm Register/Check In @ Tennessee Pass Nordic Center, Race starts @ 4pm

All race registrations will be day of. For more info and to sign up for a newsletter please go to http://www.cloudcitywheelers.org/

The Leadville Winter Mountain Bike Series is put on by the Cloud City Wheelers; a local bicycle advocacy group. All proceeds from the series will go towards cycling projects in and around Leadville/Lake County.

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Every race but the first one are on hardpacked groomed nordic ski trails. The first one is on packed snowmobile trails and snowpacked roads. We are using a drag this year to make the trail even better. Last year the trail was in perfect condition until it snowed the night before. Conditions vary. No need for studded tires just the widest wheels and tires your bike can fit! The average last year was 25 people with the classes being Male, Female, Male Single, and Female Single. We hope you join in on the fun!

Attachments

· Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Distances are short, 7-10 miles usually, 1 to 2 hours timewise depending on the course conditions. Clothing really depends on the weather but I've worn just a wool shirt and a jersey with tights or knickers and maybe a wind jacket for most of the races.

· Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Last years race 1 had a lot of climbing and loose stuff, I think that was the only one that took me over an hour. The night race was 30-40 minutes for me, the last one maybe 45-60 minutes? I have a Pugs FWIW so take that into consideration.

The snowcat groomed stuff makes it rideable, whether it's fast or not depends on how much windblown stuff there is and temps.

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The first race is closer to 12 miles long. This year we will have a special pugsley course to slow them down ;)

Someone asked whether the March 8th race should actually be on the 7th. No the date is correct it is on a Sunday. This is during Leadville's Crystal Carnival Weekend. There is much better ski joring to watch on Sunday rather than Sat. And it starts a little earlier for better snow conditions.

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The course is looking sweet! Its been setting up much harder than last year, and we aren't going to get the wind and snow the night before like last year either. We've been rolling it everyday this week and with the last couple days being sunny its been helping us out big time! I'll try to get some pictures up today. There's not a cloud in the sky today so skiing will suck tomorrow. Come ride your bike! Food and beer at Rosies Brewpub after the race!

There are some sweet jumps and some rhythm sections! :thumbsup:

We hope to see you there!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.