Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Do it all or nothing
736 Posts
But thats xc race for you... you can only use two of the three words here; light, strong, cheap. Unles you spent a fortune or carbon it will always be a problem, but the hei-hei it still sweet looking... and has at least a four year warranty

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I have an '06 Kula made with an Easton Aluminum tubeset. Do they still offer that one? I wouldn't begin to call it flimsy but it is a very smooth riding frame.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Finally have my 09 18" Kona Kula Supreme weighted:

Frame + stock seat clamp + D hanger + stock bottle bolts (4) = 1503 g

Quite disappointed as a USA made Cannondale Cafferine, which costs nearly the same, weighs less.

·
Registered
144 Posts
enio said:
hmm than what material is caffeine from? more weight, more punishment it can take, who cares about few grams.
6000 series aluminium. By gut feeling, I would bet caffeine can take more punishment. I should have seriously considered the caffeine.

Anyway, Kula Supreme is still a good frame. Will post bike once assembled.

·
Registered
543 Posts
kuiwing said:
6000 series aluminium. By gut feeling, I would bet caffeine can take more punishment. I should have seriously considered the caffeine.
No, I'm sorry, that has to be wrong. Physics is physics. Scandium is quite a lot stronger than 6000 aluminium, weight for weight. If the two frames weigh the same, it'll be the scandium frame that is the stronger of the two.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Glad to hear that. I thought so because I've been on Cannondale for many years.

I wish my Kona Kula will last. But if you tap the middle down tube of the Kula Supreme by hand, it doesn't feel that convincing.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
It's not the middle of the down tube you need to worry about. Unless you ride through a quarry.

Welds and stays are the stuff to watch. And in the experience of friends who have had the scandium frames, in particular the junction of the top tube and the seat tube.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just got my 18" Kula Supreme built up the final weight is 22.3lb as follows:-

Fork: 05 SID Team with remote lock
Wheel: 08XTR
Brake: 08XTR 6" F/R
Tyre: Kenda small blocks UST with stan
Crank: 07XT
RD: 08 X9
FD: LX high clamp
cables: Jagwire set
Saddle: SARS
Seatpost: 27.2x330 thompson
Paddle: M540
Bar: Easton EA70
Stem: Element
headset: CK nothreadset
Grip: Ritchery foam

It is about 1/2 pound lighter than my Cannondale Optimo/super fatty with the same components.

Will post photo after going for a test ride

·
Registered
144 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Really nice color scheme. What's the new symbol on the headtube?
Don't know. It is a strange symbol. The frame came this way.

comment after first ride:-

I only bought an 18" frame for about Hong Kong dollar 3400 or 436 USD.

The frame (with seat collar, holder bolts and D. hanger) weighs 1503 g

I also noted that the cable route is under the top tube while the the one on Official Website is above the top tube.

Geometry is nice for me, my inseam is about 33 in and I have more than 3" of mid tube clearance.

The SID in front is too flexy. The rear end feels very good and every pedal stroke is transformed into forward motion.

The mid downtube and mid top tube is very week. I accidentally dented it slightly (at mid top tube) before getting it assembled.:madman: The frame is strong but it cannot take abuse that not mean to, eg mid tube hitting a rock after falling. It is definitely for racing and not for bashing around.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.