Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm finally ready to buy my first FS MTB and i'm pretty much narrowed it down to the Warior 6.0 because I'm on a budget (just graduated college). I'm wondering what components i should consider upgrading first. I know the fork and rear shock are gonna need to be replaced but does anyone have any good suggestions as to what to replace them with? Also if you could suggest what components need to be upgraded and what to upgrade them with that would be awesome!!! Any ideas how to shave a pound or 2 off?

http://www.rscycle.com/2009-Iron-Horse-Warrior-6-0

Specifications
Frame: 5" TRAVEL TRAIL DUAL SUSPENSION, SINGLE PIVOT W/ SEALED BEARINGS, 1-1/8" ZERO STACK HEADTUBE, REPLACEABLE DERAILLEUR HANGER, INTERNATIONAL DISC BRAKE MOUNT
Fork: ROCK SHOX TORA 289, U-TURN 85MM-130MM TRAVEL
Rear Shock: SR/SUNTOUR RS-8 EPICON AIR, 7.5"X2"
Front Derailleur: SUN RACE FDM90, 34.9MM CLAMP
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.5 TRIGGER
Shifters: SRAM X.5 TRIGGER
Brakes Levers: HAYES STROKER RYDE
Brakes: HAYES STROKER RYDE
Chain: KMC Z72
Crankset: FSA ALPHA DRIVE, 15-17"=170MM, 19-21"=175MM
Cassette: SRAM PG-850, 11/34T, 8 SPEED
Pedals:
Bottom Bracket: FSA POWER DRIVE, 73X113MM
Headset: NO 10, ZEROSTACK
Saddle: WTB PURE V SPORT
Seat Post: EASTON EA30, 30.0MM
Handlebar: EASTON EA30, LOW RISE, 685MM, 31.8MM CLAMP
Grips: VELO VLG-311 125MM, BLACK KRATON
Stem: EASTON EA30, 31.8MM CLAMP
Tires: WTB WEIRWOLF, 2.35" FRONT/2.1" REAR
Wheelset: WTB SX24, 32H/ALLOY DISC, 32H
Weight: 34.72 (17")
Color: WHITE SATIN

Also if there are any Warrior 6.0 owners out there could you drop in and let me know what you upgraded w/ and how its working out for you? THANX!!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Warrior 6.0 is a great bike for the price, but why buy a brand new bike and up grade right away? it will be much cheaper to get a better bike. you could spend $1000 just upgrading the fork and shock. or put that money into the bike and get an Azure or MKIII.

·
SoCal Rider
266 Posts
I agree with everyone on here, instead of putting your money towards an entry/mid-level bike and upgrades, why not just put all the $$$ together and get a high end bike with high end components already installed, and even end up with a lighter bike?

The Warrior's a decent bike (but heavy), but I'd go for an Azure if i were you (30lbs and under stock)

·
cycle dad
317 Posts
the warrior 6 is the way to go

don't pay a grand more for the MKIII. That is stupid. Upgrade the 289 u turns for 30 bucks (new coils) and you are good to go. The bike is heavy but you can lose five pounds riding and then it is like the bike is thirty pounds. It has much better hsrdwear than other bikes for the price. If you had to get a different one look at the diamondback recoi comp. They are similar but the Warrior six has way better brakes and rear suspension.

·
U sayin' Bolt ?
1,364 Posts
Yup a firm or x firm coil is gonna be the cheapest way to upgrade the tora 289 ..
universalcycles.com carries rockshox coil kits
If you have the money to upgrade the the fork and rear shock, why not use that money in your intitial purchase? and get the better frame of an azure or mkiii.
i think the 2008 azure sport is the best deal at RS =)
has a tora 318 solo air fork and a float r rear shock
or the 08 mkiii comp for more travel =) =)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought a Iron Horse Warrior 4.0 (all mountain) 2009 at rscycle.com since ive just started mountain biking this year beside its cheaper but im looking to buy next year a better bike setup like as for now its the cheapone just to get a feeling for it and knowledge for MTB

what type of headset do i need for this frame headtube? im replacing it the stock headset to a much nicer ones.ive asked the CS at RScycle about the size they said
Internal/Zero Stack 1-1/8 thats the only help i could get dont know the size ive googled everywhere ended up here askin for u guys help
point me out to the links to where i can buy a headset for this bike..Thank You

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.