Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Paper or plastic?
10,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a thread about 2010, but what about 2009? Spill the beans. What were your cycling (or non cycling) highlights of 2009?

Note: pics are great. :)

·
Weird huh?
2,283 Posts
Not a single trip to the ER

Seriously

·
~~~
2,036 Posts
2009 was a great mountain biking year for me. I finally decided to join in on the MTBR family fun, and not only did I get to experience so many new places to ride, I got to meet so many great folks, and got to make some new friends. Thanks to all of you for making NorCal such a great place to live and ride. Cheers to all of you!

1. First Demo 10K ride in 2009 (Our group did ~4K)
2. Early 2009 Skeggs ride. Bacon Explosion!
3. MBTB - Big Basin Fireroad Epic
4. TNGR
5. MTBR Downieville Gathering

Attachments

·
~~~
2,036 Posts
6. Summer's here! JMS calls another 10K Demo day. MarkMass is off finishing his 10K. We sit and drink.
7. Jeng calls another MTBR Skeggs ride in August.
8. Skyline35's infamous Tour de Skeggs/Purissima/Half Moon Bay ride.
9. Another late summer Skeggs ride. What's this? More BACON!!! :thumbsup:
10. Leisurely Demo ride. <10K day :)

Attachments

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,325 Posts
zorg said:
We got a thread about 2010, but what about 2009? Spill the beans. What were your cycling (or non cycling) highlights of 2009?

Note: pics are great. :)
I think I built 3 new bikes this year - a turner rfx, foes fxr and turner flux.

Road trips included gooseberry mesa, moab and downieville.

Did the Punisher once, Super Punisher twice and Rose to Toads.

Lost close to 20 pounds this year and got fit.

Attachments

·
Safety Consultant
235 Posts
iheartbicycles, that first photo of yours (the swirly distortion) is one amazing image...belongs in a bike magazine for sure. or in a frame.

·
(slight return)
2,138 Posts
Highlights in 2009 included

Riding with some great riders and hooking up with a solid North Bay crew.

Getting back out for some weekend road/camping trips for the first time since becoming a dad. Did road trips to Tahoe/Downieville, South Yuba and my favorite, White Mountain out of Bishop.

Riding in new places including Skyline, South Yuba, White Mountain, Waterdog and new trails in Tahoe and Downieville . Returning to Rockville for MBTB. Several great trips to Pacifica. Also rode a couple new local trails.

Finally cleaning one of my favorite trails after a solid year long battle in 1-dab territory.

Camping with the family in Tahoe and towing the kid on a trail a bike on the TRT, China Camp and Pt Reyes.

A couple months of incredible trail conditions that keep on going on.

First time on the Appetite Seminar, a new tradition.

-slide

·
Registered
761 Posts
It was an off year for me ,started out fine and felt strong on the bike until breaking my leg at the march cccx race. Got back on the bikes pretty quick but my ankle is pretty jacked now. High points for me would be watching my son develop into an amazing rider this year.

·
ROOOOOOOO
1,669 Posts
Best riding season ever

Rode The Plunge
Downieville Mtbr event (+ North Yuba!)
Podium'd at the Sea Otter, got 5th in Tandem Class
Tahoe, Northstar
Trials competition
Countless Skeggs and Dog rides
Drank Anchors and swapped stories with Scott from Ibis in a dive bar in Mtn View
Built up an electric bike
New shoes on Piglet

·
NedwannaB
12,760 Posts
Awesome pics dan51!

dan51 said:
HCFC

Tahoe

Group log ride in Tahoe

Machu Piccu-non biking

Lots of HITG trips

And Whizzler!
Specially #4, seems like you know and like this person. :D

·
My spoon is too big!
881 Posts
-Rode Demo, Skeggs, and Rockville for the first time.
-Toured Waterdog more times than I can count.
-Did the Kirkwood to Star Lake ride. Found my endurance and altitude limits.
-Bought my first singlespeed...then took it to HCFC. It was my first return to Coe in 15 years.
-Met and rode with countless wonderful people from MTBR. Thanks for the good times, great memories, and inspiration. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I built a new bike this year. It's the first bike I've ordered ala carte, then assembled on my own. I'm super happy with the bike, and rode it the whole summer:

One of the first rides I had on it, out at Salmon Falls trail:

I don't know what it is about the Jabber, but I'm trying stuff on it that I've never done on my full suspension bike:

In May, I did the Annadel State Park ride for "May By The Bay". Someone got this of me:

In June, I rode the South Yuba River trail with a fast group of guys. I ended up riding with these guys a few more times during summer:

This one is easily my favorite. Riding the Hole In The Ground trail, my favorite trail:

Probably one of the most fun trips we took this summer. This one is cycling related - you can see my Jabberwocky on the roof of the orange monster :D I rode the first five miles of the Rubicon, to Buck Island where we camped, and rode passenger in the FJ on the way home:

After the Rubicon, we got in to backpacking. Our first trip was to Showers lake:

And a few weeks later we did a trip to Lyon's Lake:

2009 is up there with the best years of my life. I did ton of riding and improved my skills and fitness like crazy, took three trips I never thought I'd take and tried a bunch of new things. Here's to 2010 - I already know it's going to be a wild ride.

·
Mountain Lion Bait
876 Posts
2009 sucked balls for me all around. Glad its over. Looking forward to a season pass at Northstar, and more rides at Downieville.

·
Ride Good or Eat Wood
606 Posts
cmdrpiffle said:
Not a single trip to the ER

Seriously
I wish!! One trip to the ER in May, 9 weeks hospital, 6 months rehab..... landed on the head, broke the neck!! :nono: Coming good now, but probably not back on the bike till mid next year!! Bummer!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts