Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So received these from https://www.wiggle.co.uk/

They were back ordered, but still shipped very promptly and qualified for free shipping. Sweet!

Here are the pics:

160mm Left hand lever, all bolts, all washers, no mounting bracket (most people use post mount these days)

Post Mount to IS adapter:

160mm Hope Floating Pro rotor (1.8mm thick I believe, so not the standard floating rotor)

140mm Right hand lever, all bolts, all washers

Post mount for rear brakes to frame (I haven't see a post mount rear frame yet) - same weight for the front and rear pic, hence same picture

140mm Hope Floating Pro Rotor

Tuning potential:
-Carbon Master Cylinder Reservoir cap from https://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/
-Aluminum bolts for the levers (Hope supplies Ti)
-Ti or Aluminum washers (Hope supplies Stainless and really crappy quality ones)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
They look great, and the rotors look sweet! Will the cables require trimming?

I was hoping to see the weights closer to 300g though.......hopefully they perform well.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
civil said:
They look great, and the rotors look sweet! Will the cables require trimming?

I was hoping to see the weights closer to 300g though.......hopefully they perform well.
Once I shorten the hose and put some Al fasteners and some Al washers it should be close.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
you could go super weight weenie and only use three Ti rotor bolts per brake and three alloy per brake

maybe goodridge lines with the alloy hardware, or just replace the ti banjos etc with alloy

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Well actually my front Juicy Ultimate is lighter.

Caliper,lever, hose and bolts 226 grams (5 grams lighter if i dont use the Matchmaker clamp)
Hope Pro rotor 78g
6 Ti bolts 8 grams

= 312/307g

Cant compaire the rear as we use different rotor sizes.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Tiffster said:

Caliper,lever, hose and bolts 226 grams (5 grams lighter if i dont use the Matchmaker clamp)
Hope Pro rotor 78g
6 Ti bolts 8 grams

= 312/307g

I too have the
Juicy Ultimates for my Kona Hei Hei Supreme.
I tuned them with/ aluminum bolts for levers, Ti bolts for all caliper mounts, Ashima ARO-08 160mm, and 140mm rear, and I machined out the rear IS to Post Mount adapter. All that work and it is just barely lighter than the Hope Mini X2 out of the box. The one thing I do not like about the Avid Ultimates is the flex in the levers when you squeeze the brakes...

Don't get me wrong they are a good brake setup. but a PITA to bleed. Those stupid syringes make me cringe whenever I need to use them. The hopes use the old traditional bleeding method found on motorcycles and cars. Pop a hose on the nipple, pump the brake, hold, open bleed screw, close. Repeat. No stupid syringes.

Prices on the Ultimates aren't so great. Best price I could find was about 399 USD + shipping. These Hopes are lighter out of the box without me having to tune anything other than lever bolts. The set came out to 240 sterling pounds, with free shippipng. That translates to around 350 USD. Which is a smoking deal!

When I shorten the hose, get the Fibrelyte reservior cap, and aluminum fasteners for the hand levers, I'll re-weigh them just for you. ;)

Personally I think Sram stuff has fallen off lately. crappy castings on the X.O. and X.9. Rear D, and plastic feeling in the shift mechanisms. Oh and I forgot... Over weight SID forks. ;) :D

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Im not getting into an argument or anything but you must have some overweight Juicy's then.

My front is with the stock titanium bolts, no other modifications etc so it's "straight out the box" too and it's lighter.

If you look at another thread here there is a guy who has tuned his with alloy bolts like you plan and there 206g for the lever,hose,caliper so add a rotor at 78g and rotor bolts at 8g and your at 292 grams.

I disagree though with the bleeding - its a piece of cake to do, works brilliantly too. I agree however its not as easy as a car - push pedal down, release. Repeat :thumbsup:

I also disagree on the Forks. My Sid team with a near full lenght steerer, startnut and Crown race is 1508 grams. That's pritty bloody good if you ask me.

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
Tiffster said:

Hope Pro rotor 78g
6 Ti bolts 8 grams

= 312/307g

You are comparing a Tuned brake versus a stock brake?

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Off the top of my head...
My 2007 Juicy Ultimate out of the box were:
330g Front w/ 160mm G2 Clean Sweep Rotor (no IS to PS adapter)
334g Rear w/ 140mm G2 Clean Sweep Rotor (w/ post mount adapter)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Batas:

Yeah Fibre lyte Can make them but they dont have any in stock. I asked and they would need one to be sent in so they could copy it - but i couldn't be bothered. If you get it done let me know please.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts