Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Devil on wheels
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any of you explain me why do 2009 Reign and Trance frames come with totally unprotected bearings? You can actually SEE the blue sealings of the bearings. The pivot bolt is so small that it doesn't protect a thing!

Giant had serious problems with its pivot bearings for a while, what are they trying to prove?

I asked my LBS why it was like this and with a smile, he answered:
"That's for improving my sales! You'll need to change bearings a lot more and I have plenty of them to sell!" :madmax:

Any idea?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
I don't think pivot bolts as such (in general, not Giants) are not meant intentionally to provide additional sealing (unless they also have a bearing cap or similar).

Plenty of bikes have "exposed" bearings, and do fine.....the quality of the sealing the bearing uses will have a greater impact on its longevity, than the size of the head of pivot bolt

·
Devil on wheels
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still not convinced

Well, it seams I'm alone on this one. Esthetically or just because of personal feeling, I prefer not go around "showing off" my bearings... ;)

If you can protect them even if it's just a bit more, don't see why they had to replace the big pivot head bolts. Weight? :confused:

Or is it to be visible when they break apart (specially those top ones!).

Cheers

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Before 2008 Giant was having a lot of trouble with the pivot bearing life on the Maestro suspension bikes. When they redesigned the Trance, Trance X and Reign for 2008 they switched to a much higher quality sealed cartridge bearing and after testing it they were apparently so impressed with the life span of the new pivots they felt it was safe enough to remove the dust covers to save weight, or downsize them as others have said.

There's a lot of riders on here with Trance's, Trance X's and Reign's and I've yet to hear of any problems with the new pivots. More importantly my Trance and Trance X are still 100% tight and smooth after a coating of mud and a wash off after every ride…:thumbsup:

·
Devil on wheels
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Solved

Now that's the kind of answer I was looking for, EGF! :thumbsup:

It was my only hope, that the new bearings were so good that for showing that the bearing problems were defenitivly over, Giant decided: "See!? Our new bearings are so fine that they need no extra protection! Now shut up and ride!"

I had mine (2006) replaced for some EnduroMAX, but the next ones might be those new ones. Any specs?

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.