Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had a look at the new Fox Shocks with the15mm TA?

I can't help but think this would be a really nice addition to my ML. Of course for the price of the shock, new hub, and wheelset it almost make sense to dive head first into a EG.

Anyway, stiffing the front end of the ML would be an ideal upgrade in my mind...I can only assume '09 ML's will come with this fork.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=2818

If you get Bike magazine, the latest copy has descent description of some of the techy marketing speak like transverse shear and torsional rigidity.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
schlim said:
I have no idea what your post means. :D How light is Mike anyway?
I'm not assuming to know how light Mike is, nor am I assuming to "know who" Mike is, but I think it's safe to assume he's pretty light. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
austin_bike said:
someone on that site was asking about a 15mm to 20mm adpater. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a through axle by adding more flex?
well..depends... for example the Hope Pro 2 already use adapter cups to run 20mm...so it is just a different shape cup for QR15...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Kiwi Mike explains his post

Gentlemen
I was asking whether anyone would consider putting the new Fox F120 with 15mm on a ML .
It seems that there is 2 ML camps - the freeride range - use pikes or Marzocchi and lean towards a burly build 2x 9 and coil shock, then the are others that set up bling bling with XTR wheels and lightweight components .
So my question is with the geometry set around a 120 mm fork would anyone go for the new F- RLC Q15 120 for that ultimate marathon race build ? 3.7 pounds as opposed to 4.35 , and while I was on the Fox site did anyone else see the new 32 Talas 150 - 13- 110 do you think they will put em on the 09 ML ?

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
crisillo said:
well..depends... for example the Hope Pro 2 already use adapter cups to run 20mm...so it is just a different shape cup for QR15...
Criss,

In theory that would be correct, but don't forget that the bearings are what holds the loads, so while it's simple to press the bearings in and out, it's far from a simple swap. I could imagine hope coming up with an adapter cup, however, that not only spaces laterally for the dropouts, but also reduces for the smaller axle, going down from 20-15mm.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
mw04snow said:
Gentlemen
and while I was on the Fox site did anyone else see the new 32 Talas 150 - 13- 110 do you think they will put em on the 09 ML ?
I think the talas 32 on the kits from Titus will still be the 140 (theare are 2 talas 32 models available), since Titus always said that max travel for the ML was 145.. IIRC

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Criss,

In theory that would be correct, but don't forget that the bearings are what holds the loads, so while it's simple to press the bearings in and out, it's far from a simple swap. I could imagine hope coming up with an adapter cup, however, that not only spaces laterally for the dropouts, but also reduces for the smaller axle, going down from 20-15mm.
I agree, JC...when I said different I meant both in axle diameter and spacing..... I worded my post wrong :)

I bet the qr15 cups look like the QR ones (sitting inside the bearing) with a 15mm hole on the side :D

BTW, how's Dresden? settling down a bit already?

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
crisillo said:
I agree, JC...when I said different I meant both in axle diameter and spacing..... I worded my post wrong :)

I bet the qr15 cups look like the QR ones (sitting inside the bearing) with a 15mm hole on the side :D

BTW, how's Dresden? settling down a bit already?
Or you mean you posted your words wrong ;)

All is well. I'm back in NRW for the week and bringing more of our stuff back the next for the final move. Air conditioner is in place, Turner Hauler is running well, Uebler bike rack is at my friend's bike shop in Bielefeld, and language lessons are coming along. The problem I do have is that people WANT to speak English with me, and even after insistence, either in English or German, they insist more strongly on speaking English. What generally works is to simply say in poor German "Ich kann nicht Deutsch sprechen, aber ich verstehe" and it usually works because then I'm not revealing much about what language I do speak.

I have had a busy couple weeks and even went to the US a couple weeks ago for business.

Also, I think I might be going to Willingen on Sunday. We shall see.

And for showoff purposes, driving back home in the Turner Hauler:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Or you mean you posted your words wrong ;)

All is well. I'm back in NRW for the week and bringing more of our stuff back the next for the final move. Air conditioner is in place, Turner Hauler is running well, Uebler bike rack is at my friend's bike shop in Bielefeld, and language lessons are coming along. The problem I do have is that people WANT to speak English with me, and even after insistence, either in English or German, they insist more strongly on speaking English. What generally works is to simply say in poor German "Ich kann nicht Deutsch sprechen, aber ich verstehe" and it usually works because then I'm not revealing much about what language I do speak.

I have had a busy couple weeks and even went to the US a couple weeks ago for business.

Also, I think I might be going to Willingen on Sunday. We shall see.

And for showoff purposes, driving back home in the Turner Hauler:
Nice!

you were lucky, here in Saarbrücken...when I moved here, nobody outside the university spoke English to me...even people that apparently understood my English quite well :p

Glad things are working out...gotta love the Autobahn, right? :thumbsup:

·
parts leftover
997 Posts
mw04snow said:
Gentlemen
I was asking whether anyone would consider putting the new Fox F120 with 15mm on a ML .
It seems that there is 2 ML camps - the freeride range - use pikes or Marzocchi and lean towards a burly build 2x 9 and coil shock, then the are others that set up bling bling with XTR wheels and lightweight components .
So my question is with the geometry set around a 120 mm fork would anyone go for the new F- RLC Q15 120 for that ultimate marathon race build ? 3.7 pounds as opposed to 4.35 , and while I was on the Fox site did anyone else see the new 32 Talas 150 - 13- 110 do you think they will put em on the 09 ML ?
I'm still not entirely convinced that there is a decent market out there for a 15mm axle. The appeal would be to the lightweight racer-types, but is additional stiffness that big of a priority in an enduro race? 20mm TA on a 3.7lb fork would be something to consider, given that there are existing wheelsets out there that are lightweight at 20mm (DT Swiss and Mavic), but will lots of people decide to buy a new hub or front wheel to take advantage of a new axle standard? I can't imagine that there would be a significant weight difference by going 5mm smaller in the axle and hub. I'll bet that nearly all of the weight savings is in the fork itself regardless of the clamps.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
There's a crapload of riding around Dresden. I hooked up with the locals there on Germany's mtbr, but haven't ridden yet:

http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=333468

As far as the interface, Dirtdad has posted about getting qr15 adapters for the Hope, but again, mentioning how the interface is lighter and superior and perfect and blah blah blah. It's hard to prove how much lighter it is or at all, and especially since Maxle lite has shown itself to be plenty light with a 20mm interface, I think that's the way to go. Of course, marketing will win this war, not common sense.

·
Registered
344 Posts
crisillo said:
Hope currently doesn't list 15mm adapters. Let's hope they do!! If they have them out, the F32 with 15 will be tempting. I've got a 08 talas today, but almost never use the travel adjust.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
fervor_1 said:
Hope currently doesn't list 15mm adapters. Let's hope they do!! If they have them out, the F32 with 15 will be tempting. I've got a 08 talas today, but almost never use the travel adjust.
They are out already...check this thread on the Turner forum http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=422585

I also talked to Chad @ red barn and he confirmed that the conversion kit for pro 2 is available.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hey, thanks. Did not know that. Looks like I'm headed to the local shop.

-b

crisillo said:
They are out already...check this thread on the Turner forum http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=422585

I also talked to Chad @ red barn and he confirmed that the conversion kit for pro 2 is available.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.