Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Quick question. Ive been offered a great deal on a Fox36 float fork. Is there anyway you can change the fork height by adjusting the air pressures? (like Pike air)- i.e. add more neg in and it sucks the fork down into its travel?

Reason being is at 160 the fork would be 5-10mm too long for all day riding on my frame. I dont want to go with a 150 32 due to the QR15 (slight flex) and I havent been offered a great deal on a set of Revs!

·
Registered
154 Posts
You can change the travel using spacers. I have a set of 36 Vanillas set at 150mm on my Blur LT.

·
Registered
83 Posts
grahamt said:
You can change the travel using spacers. I have a set of 36 Vanillas set at 150mm on my Blur LT.
Is it easy? How do you do this/using standard spacers? Very interested as Van R's opens up the search to lower prices for me.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
hora said:
Is it easy? How do you do this/using standard spacers? Very interested as Van R's opens up the search to lower prices for me.
The method of spacer stacking that Fox uses is on their site. Most all Vanillas and Floats allow this. It requires a simple "leg drop" disassembly, not a full damper teardown.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I converted my RC2 Talas to coil with reduced 150mm travel. On my bike (Blur LT2) I found that the 160mm setting was too slack and 130mm too steep. Reducing to 150mm balances the bike beautifully and I don't miss the travel adjust - plus I've rediscovered how plush a coil can be!

Was a simple case of removing the air cartridge and talas assembly in the left leg and replacing with the vanilla coil assembly and the correct spacers.

·
Registered
556 Posts
grahamt said:
I converted my RC2 Talas to coil with reduced 150mm travel. On my bike (Blur LT2) I found that the 160mm setting was too slack and 130mm too steep. Reducing to 150mm balances the bike beautifully and I don't miss the travel adjust - plus I've rediscovered how plush a coil can be!

Was a simple case of removing the air cartridge and talas assembly in the left leg and replacing with the vanilla coil assembly and the correct spacers.
How did you lower your fork? I thought the only way to lower the VAN 36 was to make the coil shorter. Did this change?
Thanks!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Bike shop did it for me - they have done several conversions. My understanding is that they used spacers as per this diagram I have borrowed from the pinkbike forums. Not sure whether they had to cut the spring or not - I would presume that it would need to be, otherwise the spring would be compressed and initial preload would be too high.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
grahamt said:

How much does the conversion cost?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Cost me about $350NZ - which is about $230US - however I was converting a 2009 RC2 Talas, so had to buy a whole new set of vanilla internals for the spring side leg to replace the talas and air cartridge assemblies. Most of the cost was these parts. Also - to put the cost into perspective, a new RC2 Talas in NZ is about NZ$2400 (US$1650) - bike parts are expensive here.

Would be lots cheaper if I had been converting a vanilla, in which case it would have only been the spacers and a small amount of time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts