Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Nice bonus,

Get some paint stripper on there. The paint adds weight. Just polish the Al nice and shinny:D

I did that to a bike frame once. It was a lot of work, but the old paint was chipped and scratched. It looked good when I was done, but I wouldn't do it again.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is oil and air.
Not sure exactly what is different compared to the 2008, but the 2009 is lighter.

This fork is the normal RLC. No remote lockout. I don't use the remote lockouts much, especially for 80mm forks.

Dan: It is one of the heaviest 80mm forks out there. But I know it will perform well. I have a 2005 F80RL that I like a lot on an older specialized stumpjumper hardtail.

The history on this decision was:
1) Manitou R7 MRD disc only... 12XX g. I wanted it so bad. I couldn't find a place that had it in stock and then there were postings of people getting their forks in at high 1300g and even a posting of it at 1400g.
2) I ordered a Magura MD80R Disc only. I got shipped a disc/canti version. I returned it and asked the store to get me the correct one I ordered. Apparently Magura USA did not import any 80mm Disc only MD80Rs
3) I was going to go with Rock Shox but some were coming in at 1500+ grams for the SID TEAM. The SID World Cup in blue would have been awesome but not at 1000 dollar a fork.
4) DTSwiss carbon XRC 80mm was an option but not one had one in stock and also it was 1000+ bucks
5) old SID worldcup. I tried to win a couple on ebay but failed. I wasn't willing to pay 350 bucks for a 5 year old world cup fork.

So that is how I ended up with the Fox. 1562 is a very respectable weight. Especially when the Magura is high 1400s, Manitou is all over the place, Rock Shox SID 32mm is high 1400s. Fox is probably teh stiffest most reliable out of the options too.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Cheers! said:
Dan: It is one of the heaviest 80mm forks out there. But I know it will perform well. I have a 2005 F80RL that I like a lot on an older specialized stumpjumper hardtail.
I see, I'm not saying the weight is a bad thing, lighter is not always better, it's just that being in the Weight Weenies section you know...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.