Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Force 3.0 with a Rock Shox Bar 2.1 on it and am looking to upgrade.

The shock is 7.5 inches eye to eye.

Is the shock a 2 inch compression?

Is it high volume? medium?

I am looking at a Fox RP23. Any advice?:thumbsup:

Thank you kindly.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!!/Upgrade recommendations

Bird your force looks like a 1.0. not sure?? Hows the PIke???

The SR Mag 32 fork has been great. I know your saying to upgrade but I am ok with it until it stops working so hot.
UPGRADE LIST
1. I put a XT Derailleur($35) on the back along with Ruffian Grips($10).

2. Tektro brakes need upgraded. They fade bad. Some XT's are going on next.

3. The Bar needs to be upgraded to a Fox rear shock

3.I want a new wheelset. the back hub sux in my opinion. Azonics Outlaws or Havoc AM's. I would love some crossmax sx's but may be more than I can afford.

Ebay is a beautiful thing.

Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.
Mike

·
Registered
273 Posts
ah...haven't tried the SR, I had the Marzocchi from the previous year which was horrible.

pike rules (can find cheap) but looks like they've made some improvements in the new revelation, which is a lot lighter. 20mm front axle is that way to go.

crosstrails compare favorably with the havocs - so look at those too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
force 3 upgrades

I went with the Fox 36 Talas fork and RP23 shock. Very plush ride now, I can hit curbs and fairly large rocks without full weight shift back over the rear tire now!
The new suspension has highlighted how twitchy the Force geometry is on the run down hill. I'm currently swapping all my gear over to a Sanction 1 frame to make descents a little easier

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I love my GT Force 3.0 and have had it for 6 months.

I Taco'd the rim two weeks ago. Luckily it could be trued.

Bent the FSA Alpha Crank. Its so maleable. Total Crap.

I broke the chain and just added a xtr chain and xt cassette. The Deore cassettes and hubs are junk.

Put a xt derailleur on the back/b/c I am not into ghost shifting.

I hate to say it but the components on the 3.0 are total CRAP!!

The seat is creaking after 6 months.

I have to say the SR Mag 32 has held up well. I was planning on upgrading over time but not this soon.

This bike is great if you like to ride sidewalks and constantly upgrading parts. The Frame is great. Did GT test these components before they decided to sell this thing?

·
Registered
50 Posts
mikerod87 said:
I love my GT Force 3.0 and have had it for 6 months.

I Taco'd the rim two weeks ago. Luckily it could be trued.

Bent the FSA Alpha Crank. Its so maleable. Total Crap.

I broke the chain and just added a xtr chain and xt cassette. The Deore cassettes and hubs are junk.

Put a xt derailleur on the back/b/c I am not into ghost shifting.

I hate to say it but the components on the 3.0 are total CRAP!!

The seat is creaking after 6 months.

I have to say the SR Mag 32 has held up well. I was planning on upgrading over time but not this soon.

This bike is great if you like to ride sidewalks and constantly upgrading parts. The Frame is great. Did GT test these components before they decided to sell this thing?
I'm in the process of slowly replacing every one of the stock components, have already changed the shock to a Fox rp23, the fork to a Fox 36 Talas, and the rear derailer to a XTR mid length. All changes being completed one at a time so I have a bike to ride most of the time

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
brianbear said:
I'm in the process of slowly replacing every one of the stock components, have already changed the shock to a Fox rp23, the fork to a Fox 36 Talas, and the rear derailer to a XTR mid length. All changes being completed one at a time so I have a bike to ride most of the time
Brian, I have the Mag 32 and I really like it.

My question to you is did you feel a big change with the RP23? and the Talas?

·
Registered
17 Posts
For those of you who have suffered from the experiance of using the marzocchi xc600, which is total junk, Marzocchi has replaced mine with a 2010 st2 44 140 mm air shock, it comes with a spacer to drop it too 120 mm. I had to be persistant with my griping to the lbs and they kept sending it back to marzocchi (twice), until I got the replacement. I'm selling my marzocchi because I just bought a fox vanilla.

·
Registered
50 Posts
mikerod87 said:
Brian, I have the Mag 32 and I really like it.

My question to you is did you feel a big change with the RP23? and the Talas?
Yea, the Suntour fork felt like it had too much compression damping. Once i set up the Fox fork right the sharp edge bumps like curb sized rocks and holes just disappear. The shock is much the same. both ends seem to have very stiff slow speed compression but when the bigger hits come it all opens up and takes it. makes pedaling almost like a hardtail. Maybe they'll loosen up more as they fully break in, I don't mind pedal bob as long as the thing can take the crap I throw at it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.