broken after some rides

any similar cases ?

real new or not ?

·
FIRENZE rulez !!
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sebastian21 said:
If you dont tight the G bolt to 12nm... after some use.. there will be a play with the rear shock and the link......
i not agree ... which play ?? at a low value than 12 is however all firmed ....

12 Nm is a lot of torque !!!

somedoby can explain me why 12 and not 5 Nm ?

G bolt is M6x43 mm

when installed , and put the nyloc nut in , tight it and at 12 Nm for me the shock can not move free ... seems too tight

if you tight at 6 for example , and bolt , nut , frog , shock , all is firmed ok ... why i must apply more more torque ?

however the bolt and the nut are blocked at 6 as at 12 ...

the frog can work better if laterally compressed with a bolt at 12 ???

.. searching for a solution ... :madman:

·
FIRENZE rulez !!
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if you search in the worldwide forums there are many situations like yours.

here in Italy several broken

i heard from Holland are arriving differents bolts tomorrow

..stay tuned .

time for a recall ????

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine broke also. Mine was in a frameset. Had it on dinning room table showing it off to my wife when a loud pop came from my frame. Not sure if it was the bolt being over tightened or it was the carbon fiber. Anyway found the bolt head broke after building it up and rechecking before a six hour race. I just use one from old Scalpel. I do keep a check on it. It has loosened up twice since then. Same thing happened to another friend of mine also.

·
Registered
520 Posts
My Scalpel was picked up and shortly after, 3 or 4 rides I noticed a looseness in the rear suspension. Same kind of looseness that would happen with the 06 Scalpel. That bolt you guys are talking about always wants to come loose and the nut ends up dissapearing. Anyway about the new bike, it seems as though the bolt isn't the right size for the spacers also. The ID of the spacers is larger than the OD of the bolt and results in the looseness. I can't see anything that can be done except for Cannondale to come out with a proper bolt size. Or maybe I'll just pay a machine shop to fix it by milling it to fit a more standard high stress bolt.

·
FIRENZE rulez !!
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
every bike full suspended has 1 or 2 screws in the linkage

so every bike can faults ...

i don't think that there a project error , absolutely correct.

my opinion is only a cheap screw, born to be a pasta machine screw, not a scalpel screw

100.000.000 cheap screws vs 100.000.000 titaniun screws : lot of money saved ...

"eliflap's frame is however out of warranty , it's sanded , who cares of his screw ..." they said i guess

and i changed it immediately

·
Registered
53 Posts
Are the Titanium Screws that you are all using identical to the ones Origional ones. I ordered some screws but they have way more thread than the origional ones. The smooth part on the origional screw is the exact distance to get thru the frame or frog and the shock leaving just enough thread for nut.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
eliflap said:
somebody can help to understand ?

why Cannondale gives to that bolt 12 Nm ?

bolt is item # G
the bolt marked "K" came loose today on a ride, i tightend it back up and with very minimal force, the other side, marked "J" sheared off... can you get replacements easily?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Down here in CR I have assembled a few brand new sacalpes that comes whit that bolt already broken, and I realized that the aluminium spacers that comes with the shock are a little bit small, so we add a shim washer (0.2mm) betwen those spacers tight the bolt to 7Nm and no more broken bolts.

I did the same for used saclpes and the same result.

Hope this help you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.