Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Go back to school
648 Posts
There's no kit but the change is fairly common. Call Marzocchi USA and politely ask for the parts list. Don't be a dick or they will pretty much just tell you they wont ship you the parts unless your a distributor.

I am kind of surprised your asking for this. I know the advantage of a coil is in the simplicity but the ATA system is very simple as well and provides more adjust-ability in almost every aspect (and I'm 99% sure its lighter than the Ti spring).

A lot of people complain that the ATA system sticks down. Here's the 1 hour fix. 20 minutes once you have done it a few times. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=563366

I have a pair of 2009 888 ATA's and they are excellent forks. They actually have better small bump compliance than my 2005 HSCV Junior T's. Probably the Teflon bushings. Plus with PAR bottoming out really isn't an issue. If I ever did any upgrade to my 2009's it would be 2010 lowers and stanchions : ) Even better bushings minus 300+ grams.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks man
Great answer, but my problem isn't the sticks down, it's the stickiness in the movment of the fork,
Somthing that I never felt with a spring one.

·
Go back to school
648 Posts
I just realized that your fork uses TST2 damping with an ATA spring. I went off on a tangent about why ATA isn't bad but...TST2...has it's shortcomings.

With that said I would recommend keeping the ATA spring but swap out that TST2 with something like RC3. Unfortunately the 2009 44 didn't come with RC3 but I don't know why you couldn't either get a 2010 44 RC3 cartridge or a 2009 55 RC3 cartridge.

My upgrade recomandation:
Enduro Fork Seals
Enduro Assembly Lube
Red Line suspension fluid
2010 44 RC3 cartridge (and required accessories)
and if your feeling rich you could also throw on some 2010 44 lowers for those sweet slotted bushings.

Short of buying nickle coated uppers that is pretty much the best upgrades you can do to that 2009. Call Marzocchi for parts.

·
Registered
579 Posts
My 2008 55 ATA shot it's wad for the second time in a year. Called Marz and they shipped a brand new 2009 RC3 as a replacement. I bought the air fork because of weight but never liked the lack of small bump compliance. The RC3 is much smoother and really sucks up the chatter.

·
Go back to school
648 Posts
Sorry for all my confusion esku. Here is my revised post haha.

RC3 does perform a lot better than TSTMicro but does not provide the lockout feature. If you use lockout a lot that is something to consider. When I bought my HSCV cartridge from Zoke it was around $150 so I wouldn't be surprised if it was ~$200 for an RC3 cartridge. Kinda pricey if you ask me.

Since it could be more than $200 for RC3 I would do what I previously suggested and give those forks a nice thorough cleaning, put some good seals and lube in and see if that improves the stiction. This way if it doesn't make any improvement your only out ~$60 instead of $200.

Enduro seals for your 55 (35mm)

Assembly Lube
Red Line 10wt

If you do the rebuild and it's still sticky, throw in the RC3 damping and youve got a sweet 55.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts