Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 573 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Plans are being set for the 4th running of Trans-Iowa. Stay tuned to the website for all the updates. :thumbsup:

Need a refresher? Check out some pics!

And the guy with the light on his bike in the picture above....his facial expression is PRICELESS!

As for me....I am out of the loop this year. The go-to-guys regarding TIv4 are Guitar Ted and Bd.Sahib

·
Really I am that slow
3,778 Posts
Yippie....

why does this excite me to no end on a sunday morning?

Why is depeche mode's Sweetest Perfection playing on i-tunes just as i'm reading about it?:rolleyes:

·
C-Hog
458 Posts
Great News!!!

I received an e-mail from GT just last night, letting me know that he would indeed be holding another Trans-Iowa event in 2008... and that David Pals would be assisting him. This is fantastic news for everyone in endurance mtn biking. Mark and David are two of the greatest individuals I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Although the time we have had together (so far) has been far too limited, I consider them both to be dear friends, and all-around great guys. We need more folks like them. And we need more events like Trans-Iowa.

Jim Cummins
Promoter, Dirty Kanza 200

ps: Plans are also underway for a 2008 edition of The Dirty Kanza 200. Our date will (again) most likely be sometime in mid-to-late May. Watch for more details.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Wow! Thanks!

C-Hog said:
I received an e-mail from GT just last night, letting me know that he would indeed be holding another Trans-Iowa event in 2008... and that David Pals would be assisting him. This is fantastic news for everyone in endurance mtn biking. Mark and David are two of the greatest individuals I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Although the time we have had together (so far) has been far too limited, I consider them both to be dear friends, and all-around great guys. We need more folks like them. And we need more events like Trans-Iowa.

Jim Cummins
Promoter, Dirty Kanza 200

ps: Plans are also underway for a 2008 edition of The Dirty Kanza 200. Our date will (again) most likely be sometime in mid-to-late May. Watch for more details.
Jim, you are far too kind to say so yourself, but you are a promoter at the top level and I have used a lot of what you have implemented in Dirty Kanza into T.I.

Looking forwards to working with d.p. and everyone should also know that Jeff Kerkove designed that header. Thanks Buddy! :thumbsup:

Just like Jeff said, we'll be posting updates along the way so stay tuned. Thanks for all the positive comments and vibes. :D

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Fyi

Pivvay said:
Gears or SS? Hannon and Ira were killing me at 30mph on the single. :eek:
Just so you know, it was your accounting of T.I. V3 that was one of the influences for me to run this again. Thanks!

Those first hand accounts are always special, but something about yours just grabbed me.

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Thanks GT!

Guitar Ted said:
Just so you know, it was your accounting of T.I. V3 that was one of the influences for me to run this again. Thanks!

Those first hand accounts are always special, but something about yours just grabbed me.
You and Jeff the ones that did all the hard work. Those cue sheets were amazing. Glad you and DP are keeping the race going. Two awesome guys and a really cool and unique race.

·
your ankles are fat
335 Posts
Good to hear you guys(GT/BD) are pullin' the trigger on gettin the word out so early for next year, I'll endeavor to be there.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Key word: "early"

PaddyH said:
Good to hear you guys(GT/BD) are pullin' the trigger on gettin the word out so early for next year, I'll endeavor to be there.
Yeah, thanks Paddy. I'm hoping to see you, Dallas, and Lyndsay tow the line again sometime down here.

Early is the key word.

d.p. and I are going to try to be a bit more efficient and accurate than we've ever been before for T.I.

Things to look for: Loop course again. Additional cue sheet checkpoint(s) Start in the dark. The ususal B maintenance roads, and lots of hills. ;)

My goal is to have the '08 course in the bag and ready to go before winter. d.p. and myself have lots of work to do.

Until then................

·
Registered
345 Posts
Looking forward to it!

Joe

Guitar Ted said:
Yeah, thanks Paddy. I'm hoping to see you, Dallas, and Lyndsay tow the line again sometime down here.

Early is the key word.

d.p. and I are going to try to be a bit more efficient and accurate than we've ever been before for T.I.

Things to look for: Loop course again. Additional cue sheet checkpoint(s) Start in the dark. The ususal B maintenance roads, and lots of hills. ;)

My goal is to have the '08 course in the bag and ready to go before winter. d.p. and myself have lots of work to do.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Many thanks

Guitar Ted said:

Early is the key word.

Guitar Ted, thanks for going through this again. Bd.Sahib, thanks for joining in the fun.

After TIV3 my butt was black and blue, my fingers were numb for weeks, and the toenails from both of my large toes fell off. Somehow the memories of the side effects are nothing compared to the utter (or should I say "udder"?) ADVENTURE that this race was! I am so looking forward to doing it again.

·
Which way? Uphill.
833 Posts
It's only August and I've now got a serious contender for me to use as winter time motivation.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Announcing the T.I.V4 Tune Up Ride

Have you been wondering what doing something like Trans Iowa might be like, are you considering T.I.V4, or are you up for a century on gravel "just'cause"? Well, you are in luck.

Post GTDRI II, d.p. and I were lamenting the fact that we had to cut the course short to make it on scheduled time. We decided to re-attempt the route on October 27th, 2007. Then after discussing this with a few blokes thinking about T.I.V4, we realized it might just be a fun way to get a bunch of like minded folks out and use the ride as a kick off to your winter training for T.I.V4. Or not...............maybe you just want to ride it for fun. That's okay too.

We'll be meeting in Marengo, Iowa early in the morning, so lights will be required. We probaly won't get back in till after dark either, so be prepared. More on times and route cues later on the T.I.V4 website.

·
Registered
364 Posts
And don't forget to get your blaze orange on

Guitar Ted said:
Have you been wondering what doing something like Trans Iowa might be like, are you considering T.I.V4, or are you up for a century on gravel "just'cause"? Well, you are in luck.

Post GTDRI II, d.p. and I were lamenting the fact that we had to cut the course short to make it on scheduled time. We decided to re-attempt the route on October 27th, 2007. Then after discussing this with a few blokes thinking about T.I.V4, we realized it might just be a fun way to get a bunch of like minded folks out and use the ride as a kick off to your winter training for T.I.V4. Or not...............maybe you just want to ride it for fun. That's okay too.

We'll be meeting in Marengo, Iowa early in the morning, so lights will be required. We probaly won't get back in till after dark either, so be prepared. More on times and route cues later on the T.I.V4 website.
Might want to leave the plumage off your helmet for this one. Coinciding with the opening day of pheasant season.

postscript: The course is well marked w/ empty Busch Lite cans.

·
Rusting Steel
117 Posts
bd.sahib said:
postscript: The course is well marked w/ empty Busch Lite cans.
That's how T.roy and I new were weren't lost/off course this year. :thumbsup:

Oct 27th huh? Might have to venture up for Halloween Iowa style!

-thad

·
Team Hammer
108 Posts
Where can a guy find a place to stay near Marengo? Williamsburg ok or should I be looking elsewhere?

Also, how much lighting equipment should a guy bring along? Just something for the bars or do you guys think a person should have more?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
364 Posts
SquidBuzz said:
Where can a guy find a place to stay near Marengo? Williamsburg ok or should I be looking elsewhere?

Also, how much lighting equipment should a guy bring along? Just something for the bars or do you guys think a person should have more?

Thanks in advance.
I should preface by saying I'm not associated with any reputable lodging of any form, any where, or any time.

The closest is the Sudbury here in Marengo.
http://www.sudburymotelandrv.com/
Williamsburg is about 15 miles, the lodging for the Amana Colonie$ is probably 10 miles or so.
http://www.amanacolonies.org/lodging.htm
Iowa City/Coralville and other communities geographically located to take full finacial advantage of the college sports markets are about 30 miles away.

I'd guess 3 or 4 hrs of lighting and whatever your comfortable w/ on descents of around 35 mph or so. We origionally looked at the 27th because of the full moon. I've ridden most of the course under those conditions with a small cateye bar mounted light but I wasn't looking for road signs or at maps either.

1 - 20 of 573 Posts