Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, bit of a greenhorn here, so bear with me.

I own a 2008 Trance x2, ( http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/mountain/1288/29375/ ) which I love, save the BB is kind of low and I tend to bang the pedals a lot on rocks and I'd like a slacker head angle for the kind of trails we ride which typically involve a lot of hiking / technical uphill riding and some very steep downhills ... I'm in Trinidad BTW (small island in the Caribbean)

Anyway, here's my question, bear in mind i have to buy everything from abroad, so recommendations are very helpful. A car rear ended me and bent my rear wheel. my local LBS can't get it exactly straight, so it has a wobble to it, so I want to buy a new set. Based on what I've read, the Mavic 321's seem like a good bet.

Went to BWW and saw the Mavic's I want with options for the hubs: http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=26

Now being on a budget, would the pure XCR 6-bolt, be an upgrade over my stock hubs? and would everything just transfer over smoothly from the old wheels (disks and cassette) if I go with these? If not, what's my best bet, reuse what's on the old wheel?

Secondly anyone have a fork recommendation to give me the slacker HA and higher BB that the stock 120mm Fox 32 F120R ?? Web link would be nice ...

Thanks in advance!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,464 Posts
homiedclown19 said:
Hi guys, bit of a greenhorn here, so bear with me.

I own a 2008 Trance x2, ( http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/mountain/1288/29375/ ) which I love, save the BB is kind of low and I tend to bang the pedals a lot on rocks and I'd like a slacker head angle for the kind of trails we ride which typically involve a lot of hiking / technical uphill riding and some very steep downhills ... I'm in Trinidad BTW (small island in the Caribbean)

Anyway, here's my question, bear in mind i have to buy everything from abroad, so recommendations are very helpful. A car rear ended me and bent my rear wheel. my local LBS can't get it exactly straight, so it has a wobble to it, so I want to buy a new set. Based on what I've read, the Mavic 321's seem like a good bet.

Went to BWW and saw the Mavic's I want with options for the hubs: http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=26

Now being on a budget, would the pure XCR 6-bolt, be an upgrade over my stock hubs? and would everything just transfer over smoothly from the old wheels (disks and cassette) if I go with these? If not, what's my best bet, reuse what's on the old wheel?

Secondly anyone have a fork recommendation to give me the slacker HA and higher BB that the stock 120mm Fox 32 F120R ?? Web link would be nice ...

Thanks in advance!
I've heard some decent things about the XCRs, in that budget I would be tempted to spring for some Hope pro2s, I know nothing about the 321s, so can't comment on them.

Yes, everything should fit, I guess just make sure the spoke count on the XCR matches that of your current hub.

Fork wise, a lot of people here have put rockshox pikes on their Trance Xs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
laxman2001 said:
I've heard some decent things about the XCRs, in that budget I would be tempted to spring for some Hope pro2s, I know nothing about the 321s, so can't comment on them.

Yes, everything should fit, I guess just make sure the spoke count on the XCR matches that of your current hub.

Fork wise, a lot of people here have put rockshox pikes on their Trance Xs.
Thank you sir! Just one question, any details on the Pike I should be looking at? Have a link? Thanks again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Dude, seriously, e-mail [email protected] and let him sort you out :thumbsup: He's my "LBS" to Barbados and his prices are always great and he knows how to build a good set of wheels. The 321's are heavy as $hite, so be for warned. I had them on my Trance with XT 6 bolt hubs and they weighed a ton.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,464 Posts
LyNx said:
Dude, seriously, e-mail [email protected] and let him sort you out :thumbsup: He's my "LBS" to Barbados and his prices are always great and he knows how to build a good set of wheels. The 321's are heavy as $hite, so be for warned. I had them on my Trance with XT 6 bolt hubs and they weighed a ton.
what about the pure XCR rims or 4.2Ds?

You could build up a set with XCR hubs for like $400 or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LyNx said:
Dude, seriously, e-mail [email protected] and let him sort you out :thumbsup: He's my "LBS" to Barbados and his prices are always great and he knows how to build a good set of wheels. The 321's are heavy as $hite, so be for warned. I had them on my Trance with XT 6 bolt hubs and they weighed a ton.
Great advice! Thank you sir I'll mail him for sure ... BTW did he arrange your RIP 9 for you? Or did you bring that direct?
 

·
May contain nuts
Joined
·
2,422 Posts
homiedclown19 said:
BTW, here we are in action:
719 rim is a good strength/weight/size for a TX. Pike 454 Dual Air is 4.5lb, cheap and reliable, if you can find one.

Pics look great. What is surfing like In Trinidad?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Mavic ST great wgt and durability not too $$$ IMHO...I have both ST and SLR, but for the $ the ST seems to be the better value
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Got it in direct through another friend before I met/learned about Larry, was lucky enough to know someone who got it in for me for cheap. Oh and if you're interested or maybe visiting BIM, check out our page on facebook for pics and more. If you're up this way I still have the XT/321 wheelset if you'd like to check them out. Personally I'd go for the Hope Pro2 hubs.

homiedclown19 said:
Great advice! Thank you sir I'll mail him for sure ... BTW did he arrange your RIP 9 for you? Or did you bring that direct?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Shimano has a nice new SLX level UST wheelset, XT is very nice. Get a 140mm fork (revelation, menja, Fox) with a through axle and buy a matching front wheel, I like the XT all mountain wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
Get a set of No Tunes Arch wheels with the ZTR hubs. They are about $440.00, weigh about 1600g and are plenty strong for small jumps, small drops and trail riding.

If you want to do drops and huge jumps keep the stock wheels. They are very strong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haggis said:
719 rim is a good strength/weight/size for a TX. Pike 454 Dual Air is 4.5lb, cheap and reliable, if you can find one.

Pics look great. What is surfing like In Trinidad?
Thanks for the Pike recommendation! Will keep an eye in the "internetz" for one ... Unfortunately I'm not a surfer, but there is a fairly strong following of avid surfers locally ... It's no Hawaii, but there's decent waves on the north coast where the pics were taken.
 

·
Scott is a tool.
Joined
·
883 Posts
spotthedogg said:
Shimano has a nice new SLX level UST wheelset, XT is very nice. Get a 140mm fork (revelation, menja, Fox) with a through axle and buy a matching front wheel, I like the XT all mountain wheels.
+1 on the XT All Mountain wheels. I run them on my TX with a Pike Air U-turn. I'd recommend the Pike if you can find one, or an 09 Revelation as they're essentially the same fork.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top