Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had a bike since 1999 and I've been lurking here since March. I ended up picking up an 08 Teocali frame and fork at a bargain price I couldn't pass up. Now I'm in need of some help picking out what I need to complete it.

I'm not looking for anything super expensive but trying to get the best bang for my buck. I don't see myself doing any major drops at this stage.

1. Wheels:
I had my eye on Mavic X317 disc or WTB Speed disc wheels. Thoughts?

2. Brakes:
I want hydraulic brakes but other than the bolt count to the wheel I don't know much more. Some of the wheels I've looked at have rotors already.
Do I need to worry about rotor compatibility?

3. Rear Cassette:
Will any SRAM cassette work?

4. Shock:
I'd like to upgrade the rear shock to a Fox RP23 and believe the 7.5 x 2 is the correct size?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Attachments

·
May The Force Be With You
2,423 Posts
1. Wheels:
I had my eye on Mavic X317 disc or WTB Speed disc wheels. Thoughts?
--- Mavic makes goood stuff. that's the route i would take

2. Brakes:
I want hydraulic brakes but other than the bolt count to the wheel I don't know much more. Some of the wheels I've looked at have rotors already.
Do I need to worry about rotor compatibility?
--most bolt patterns are universal 6bolt. Do the wheels come with rotors or do they just have them pictured for advertising purposes? I picked a set up from here for my hard tail! MOUNTAIN BIKE ROTORS | Moment Industries

3. Rear Cassette:
Will any SRAM cassette work?
-- i would imagine yes, but that is also dependent on the rear hub. if the hub is set up for an 8 speed cassette you won't be able to put a 9 speed on. just make sure they match before purchasing

4. Shock:
I'd like to upgrade the rear shock to a Fox RP23 and believe the 7.5 x 2 is the correct size?

-- you have to measure the shocks over all size(A] eye to eye length) and the stroke ( B] the length of smaller diameter cylinder of the air shock.) https://www.sicklines.com/tech-info/shock/fox_dhx_without_coil_top.jpg

·
Registered
352 Posts
4. Shock:

Yes

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got to start the build. It took forever to get the frame from Seattle from my sister. For a large the frame is bigger than what I had expected.

I still need to put on the new chain, rear derailleur and swap out the rear shock.

Also, going tubeless was super easy with the WTB Frequency rims.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All built

I think I'm done with her.
Got a 32 mile ride in today since we finally had some temps under 100.

Did the forum dump a bunch of pics because a lot of the older ones I uploaded are now gone??

Attachments

·
May The Force Be With You
2,423 Posts
Look'n good! sounds like it's a bit warm where you are at! lol... lots of water and SPF50! "Stay white all day"!

·
Registered
2 Posts
What were the parts you ended up going with? I just purchased a stock 2008 Teocali that the original owner maybe used 4 times, I know down the line I'd like to build her up for sure the rear shock, and possibly the front, I'd like to have a lockout. The tubeless sounds great.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the list of parts I went with:

WTB Frequency i23 rims w/ SRAM X9 hubs w/ Stans rim tape and sealant
WTB Bronson 2.3 tires (seem to be wearing fast)
SRAM X7 rear derailleur
Fox Float RP2 rear shock and 7.875 x 2.25 is the correct size for an 08
UNO 80mm stem
Truvativ Hussefelt 30 mm rise bars
Avid Elixir 7 brakes
Ergon grips (man I love these)
Wellgo MG1 pedals
SRAM PC 991 chain (Powerlink is slick)
SRAM PG 980 9-speed cassette

I think that's everything I updated. I've been meaning to take it into work to weight it but haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe next week.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Were you able to re use the hardware and bushings on the Fox Float RP2? My SR Suntour finally gave out and want to get a new rear shock and wanted to know if the original hardware would work

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want to upgrade my fork and not a lot of non tapered options. I know I can use a tapered fork if the headtube has an internal diameter of 44mm with a pick and mix bottom headset cup. Anyone know if it's 44mm?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The final pic as I gave the bike to my cousin. Learned a ton getting back into the sport building her up. The tiny cassette does make me laugh now.
received_2344722129102908.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
The final pic as I gave the bike to my cousin. Learned a ton getting back into the sport building her up. The tiny cassette does make me laugh now.
View attachment 1312605
Hey!

So I'm currently rebuilding this bike, I've had it for years and never really done much with it. Can you link me the parts you used? I don't know much about bike parts, what measurements are required etc etc... List of things I see it needs

New rear wheel
New cassette
New chain
New tires
New fork
New rear shock
New rear cable for derailer
New front single speed crank

Seeing on how much used bikes are costing now days, figured I'd just stick with what I had and go from there.

Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts