Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally starting to get the parts in for my luxury econo Sultan project!

Got the I9 flows today, scored the $260 jenson Manitou blowout fork.

Now onto Formula K18s 180-160 + Stylo team cranks, Thompson Post and Stem,

Cane creek headset........not sure about the saddle and handlebars?

Ohh and Xt front Xo rear with X9 shifters....

Here is my Girl for the Homers...
 

Attachments

·
Bite Me.
Joined
·
4,531 Posts
That's a good start - the K18s are good brakes. You could consider the Elixir Rs too for another quality budget option. I run a Rampage up front and swapped the one in the rear for an Ignitor - works really well for general all around riding. For rougher terrain I'd either put the Rampage back on back or go with an Ardent as JNC suggests. Go tubeless either way. More pics when it's done please (w/o the Vaseline all over the lens).:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cutthroat said:
That's a good start - the K18s are good brakes. You could consider the Elixir Rs too for another quality budget option. I run a Rampage up front and swapped the one in the rear for an Ignitor - works really well for general all around riding. For rougher terrain I'd either put the Rampage back on back or go with an Ardent as JNC suggests. Go tubeless either way. More pics when it's done please (w/o the Vaseline all over the lens).:p
Are you suggesting that i was using Vaseline with my un built bike on the bed?
I don't swing that way man.......

Tubeless all the way!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
997 Posts
interesting, i have as well a large sultan 08 frame sitting at home, together with i9 wheelset on flows, some formula oro greg minaar brakes and a manitou 120mm. the only difference are the colors, bronze frame with rasta wheels, polished brakes and black fork...

regarding tires i will be going with continental mountain kings 2.4, stem, post and seat clamp tune, handlebar syntace or easton, some XTR stuff foe the drivetrain and of course king headset ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hellocook said:
interesting, i have as well a large sultan 08 frame sitting at home, together with i9 wheelset on flows, some formula oro greg minaar brakes and a manitou 120mm. the only difference are the colors, bronze frame with rasta wheels, polished brakes and black fork...

regarding tires i will be going with continental mountain kings 2.4, stem, post and seat clamp tune, handlebar syntace or easton, some XTR stuff foe the drivetrain and of course king headset ...
Sounds Quite nice.........

With the $1250 blowout frame and the Jenson price on the fork I think I will come in with a hellava bike for under 4 G..

Tell me more about these tires!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
997 Posts
nomatic said:
Sounds Quite nice.........

With the $1250 blowout frame and the Jenson price on the fork I think I will come in with a hellava bike for under 4 G..

Tell me more about these tires!
same thinking when buying the frame ... :)

I am running the Mountain Kings 29ers on my Gary Fisher Superfly with tubeless 2.2 in the front and 2.4 in the back (I need traction where I am biking - very technical singletrails and often wet). The 2.2 is more like a 2.1 whereas the 2.4 29er is very wide, wider than the 2.4 26er that I am using on another bike.

For technical stuff, dry and also wet, the MK is a great tire. In my local biking group of about 8 bikers pretty much everybody changed over to the Mountain Kings after realizing how much of an improvement it was over the previous tires. I would take the 2.4 and run it tubeless (set up was very easy with Stans) with very low pressure (1,6- 1,8 bar) and for most technical trails you should have a great tire. backcountry.com has these tires for a very good price (I paid $100 for 4 tires shipped!). The weight is at about 720g if I remember correctly.

Cons? Rolling resistance is okay but for fire roads or even payments there are better tires. For "road biking" or racing I would go with the Racing Ralph.
 

·
Expert Crasher
Joined
·
6,359 Posts
Nice!

I'll second the recommendation for Ardents.

Saddle - Bontrager Inform R = perfect
Bars - Easton Monkey Lite XC low rise
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top