Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My son in-law rode my old Stumpjumper the other day. I hung it back up in the garage afterwards and found a day later maybe 2-3 tablespoons of fluid on the floor directly under the steering head. What gives? Just take the steering head apart and re-grease everything?
Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bike is hanging upside down (I know, not the best with hydraulic brakes) and both fork tubes are dry. I'm wondering if somehow I got a little water inside the frame the last time I washed it and water is draining out through the headset. But the liquid feels more like oil than water. Puzzling.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
You have an oil leak. Find it.
Harsh but fair (and accurate). I pulled the bike down and found the oil was leaking to the headset along the underside of the top tube. It's coming from the rebound adjuster knob on the top of the rear shock. I suppose that's going to be a dealer-only fix. After a little research, it's going to need replaced. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.
Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
722 Posts
Harsh but fair (and accurate). I pulled the bike down and found the oil was leaking to the headset along the underside of the top tube. It's coming from the rebound adjuster knob on the top of the rear shock. I suppose that's going to be a dealer-only fix. After a little research, it's going to need replaced. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.
Thanks,
Jay
"I knew it, I know it." That quote is from my nephew. Okay this time I was brutally honest and I apologize. My buddies fork damper adjuster leaked down onto the rear shock. I thought at first it was the shock, but it wasn't an RP23! We found the stream on the underside of the left fork leg. Depending on the brand and model of shock, you may be able to send it off for a rebuild.

Worst case is a rebuild is not available such as for an older unit, replace with a used shock of same length and stroke, same brand and you can use old DU bushings and spacers to save a few bucks. Good luck my friend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In the unlikely event someone else finds themselves in the same predicament, here is what used to replace The Brain.
A Rockshox Monarch 7.25"x1.75" and
A pair of RockShox Rear Shock Mounting Hardware-3-Piece Set 1/2"x1/2" 16.0x8mm
If fit right in nicely.
Jay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.