Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 Spot frame arrived this morning and to say I am extremely impressed with the quality of the frame and finish would be a understatement! If this thing rides half as good as it looks it will be killer! I made a quick stop down at the LBS and picked up a new headset. It was kind of slow and the owner was able to press it in for me right then. While waiting I also met a fellow MTBR member & Homer Miles E while at the shop…real nice guy!

I was hoping to get a majority of the build done today, but I am coming down with a cold and started to feel pretty lousy while swapping the fork from my old ride to the Spot. If I have the energy I will drop off the RP23 shock that came with the Spot and my existing DHX Coil to have the bushings swapped. As promised, here are some pictures. Sorry for the crappy quality, but I couldn’t find my digital camera and had to use my phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
You must have been hit pretty hard it you don't have the energy to finish building that up! Beautiful bike, you'll have to get some pics that do it justice when you get a chance.

Hope you feel better soon and tomorrow's snow doesn't keep us off the trails too long! :)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
miles e said:
You must have been hit pretty hard it you don't have the energy to finish building that up! Beautiful bike, you'll have to get some pics that do it justice when you get a chance.

Hope you feel better soon and tomorrow's snow doesn't keep us off the trails too long! :)
Ya, about an hour after I left the shop it hit me like a ton of bricks. I have been in bed since then:madman:

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Sweet looking base mang! I'm a big fan or red.

Funny how you got sick right after meeting Miles ... you didn't shake hands did you? :D
Yeah he's a blast to ride with, and he's a good nav on road trips, just make sure you have chicken shops programed in your GPS. :p

Health-up and get that scooter built! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Definitely try the RP23 1st - if you are around 200 lbs or more it will work better with a low volume can - also just order some fox reducers from the lbs so that you can then swap shocks on the bike in less than 5 minutes without the hassle of swapping reducers.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wilks said:
Definitely try the RP23 1st - if you are around 200 lbs or more it will work better with a low volume can - also just order some fox reducers from the lbs so that you can then swap shocks on the bike in less than 5 minutes without the hassle of swapping reducers.
Personally I just prefer the feel of a coil shock over air. My plan was to sell the RP23 to help fund some new wheels, but now you all have me thinking. Is there anything about this suspension design that lends itself better to an air shock over a coil?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
moosehead said:
nice looking horse, enjoy. if ur hucking and DHing with zilla and miles at diablo, coil is definitely your friend. if you stay a little closer to the planet, the rp23 pushed is the best.
I am no freerider. The largest drop I have done to date is about 42". I don't ever see myself going any bigger than 4 feet. In addition to liking the feel of coil, I also like the fact that they are pretty much bullit proof for my style of riding. I know too many guys that have blown air shocks on pretty small hits. I am also not looking to build a really light weight bike. My goal is around 30lbs with a coil shock and AMP seat post. If I sell the RP23 I will have enough cash to pick up a set of Easton Havoc wheels which should be over a pound lighter (and stronger) than my current Sun SingleTracks.

But I will give the RP23 some thought

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.