Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
i think that big a fork on the spot is a poor idea but others do not. i see it as a attempt to make the spot behave more like a rfx while taxing the frames longevity. if i were to be swayed and use a 160mm adj fork on a spot, it wouldnt be a 2 step but somethin with more positions such as a talus. now theres a fine fork for a rfx.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cactuscorn said:
i think that big a fork on the spot is a poor idea but others do not. i see it as a attempt to make the spot behave more like a rfx while taxing the frames longevity. if i were to be swayed and use a 160mm adj fork on a spot, it wouldnt be a 2 step but somethin with more positions such as a talus. now theres a fine fork for a rfx.
It's not trying to make the Spot an RFX, it's just the only fork I got right now.
Thinking of building up a 2008 Spot and right now it's my only option.
Anyone try this ? Will the bike handle really poor ?

·
Wicketed
607 Posts
I had a Z1 150mm on my 08 spot, which was okay, but i much preferred the ride when i swapped down to the pike.
but, as you say, it's your only option so go for it. the spot is a really versatile beast.

·
"Furruccio....Bite Me!"
233 Posts
If that's all you have, go for it. You won't rip the head tube off the bike, like CC may be implying. :D

It will descend real nice at 160, and climb real nice at 115.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
PizzaMan said:
It's not trying to make the Spot an RFX, it's just the only fork I got right now.
Thinking of building up a 2008 Spot and right now it's my only option.
Anyone try this ? Will the bike handle really poor ?
It's not your only option - how about you sell the Lyric and get a Pike.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
It'll ride just fine. It's not making the Spot a RFX but it does give it a very similar geometry. So it's not a hucking bike just because it has a longer fork. I rode mine primarily in the 160mm setting (fork was an 08 Talas).

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pulled the trigger today on one of the last 08' Spots.
Now the only thing in question is warranty wise.
I e-mailed Turner but they probably didn't get my mail (holidays etc...) since I didn't get any response.
Want to build up the bike tomorrow so I thought maybe someone here may know before I build it and screw up.
FAQ's say 130-150 is recommended , but is 160mm still OK warranty wise?
I don't want it to be an RFX or something, but right now it's the only fork I got and it may take some time to sell it and get something else.
This is my 3rd Spot since 2003, but this is a story for a whole new thread, promise to share after the bike is built and obligatory couch photos taken.
Thanks
PM

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
PizzaMan said:
I e-mailed Turner but they probably didn't get my mail (holidays etc...) since I didn't get any response.
Want to build up the bike tomorrow so I thought maybe someone here may know before I build it and screw up.
I don't want it to be an RFX or something, but right now it's the only fork I got and it may take some time to sell it and get something else.
This is my 3rd Spot since 2003, but this is a story for a whole new thread, promise to share after the bike is built and obligatory couch photos taken.
Thanks
PM
I emailed Turner that same question a couple of weeks ago. I was told that a 160mm fork is the largest they would warranty on a 2008 Spot

·
whoa!
1,277 Posts
PizzaMan said:
Fist bump to ya Pizzaman, , , I've got one of the Sangria frames on the way as well. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Could you tell me whether the 2008 rear brake is setup for post mount or 51mm IS? My 06 Flux is 51mm IS but that is hardly a good indicator.

BTW, good luck on the fork choice. I'm in the dark, dark void stuck somewhere between a Talas RLC, Float RLC, Revelation 426, and whether or not to go with an axle or QR. I'd go with one of the axled forks instantly except I've got a new set of '04 Crossmax SLs looking for a place to spin and it doesn't really look like the 04s are adaptable to any of the axle configurations. . .

·
Hisforever
1,867 Posts
three amigos

we are stoked! i just ordered the last medium 08' rfx i could find. it will ship monday.

only 1 thing. the british racing green is getting stripped. for a raw or polished homemade deal.

·
12,942 Posts
good deal guys! congrats on the new rides.

the rear is a IS mount but any IS to PM adapter will work. most brakes are either supplied with this mount or its available as a choice. if ya went through a turner dealer, they should have ya covered when ya ordered yer brakes. its the same as yer flux. oh, ditch the sl's and set it up with a 20mm ta unless ya weigh less than 135 lbs or so. if it were me, id get a pike 454 air u turn.

im with ya robbie, the brg didnt grow on me as i thought it might.

·
whoa!
1,277 Posts
cactuscorn said:
good deal guys! congrats on the new rides.

the rear is a IS mount but any IS to PM adapter will work. most brakes are either supplied with this mount or its available as a choice. if ya went through a turner dealer, they should have ya covered when ya ordered yer brakes. its the same as yer flux. oh, ditch the sl's and set it up with a 20mm ta unless ya weigh less than 135 lbs or so. if it were me, id get a pike 454 air u turn..
Thanks for the info Cactus, , , I figured someone would have some good stuff in this forum. . .

As far as the brakes, I'm gonna go with a set of 2008 Maguras and bolt the rear caliper up directly then.
They been working good on the Flux so far.

·
12,942 Posts
love my louise. i have 2 sets of '07 bats and another set of '05 fr's ive yet to mount on anything. my bats are PM's and center far better with much less effort than a IS type. theyre also much more adaptable to a variety of forks than a IS only caliper as ive found out. many IS to IS adaptors are getting harder to find unless ya wanna pay shimano $50 to $100 per. rediculous prices. i thought they were quoting me retail when i placed a order. right now im buyin up magura adaptors as fast as i can find em lookin for a match to my boxxer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.