Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a question about how tight to make the rear wheel skewer to not crack the rear carbon triangle? I don't want the wheel to fall off either and don't know how much stress the triangle can take before failure. I removed the rear wheel and now don't know how much to tighten down the skewer.
Also, is there any maintence to do to a lefty carbon sl besides just sending it back to C-Dale to rebuild once a year or so?

Thanks,
Frank

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
riz39 said:
Hi,
I have a question about how tight to make the rear wheel skewer to not crack the rear carbon triangle? I don't want the wheel to fall off either and don't know how much stress the triangle can take before failure. I removed the rear wheel and now don't know how much to tighten down the skewer.
Also, is there any maintence to do to a lefty carbon sl besides just sending it back to C-Dale to rebuild once a year or so?

Thanks,
Frank
You can basically (within reason) go to town on the skewers. The Scalpels have aluminum dropouts.

Other than getting it rebuilt every year, you should clean the lefty off every ride make sure to wipe off the dust seals off after rides.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply! So, even though the rear triangle is carbon, since the dropouts are Al, you can tighten the screwer reasonably tight and not worry about collapsing the carbon triangle?
I'm planning on sending the shock back to C-dale for a rebuild. Any ideas on cost?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
riz39 said:
Thanks for your reply! So, even though the rear triangle is carbon, since the dropouts are Al, you can tighten the screwer reasonably tight and not worry about collapsing the carbon triangle?
I'm planning on sending the shock back to C-dale for a rebuild. Any ideas on cost?

Thanks again!
Dont worry about your skewer, just tighten it. I am not sure about the cost, it would depend on the time in the shop and any parts that it might need to have replaced (seals).

·
Tool
1,973 Posts
amillmtb said:
You can basically (within reason) go to town on the skewers. The Scalpels have aluminum dropouts.
Also, when you tighten the skewer, you're actually squeezing the hub, not the rear triangle. No stress will be transferred to the carbon chain/seatstays regardless of skewer tension.

-Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.