Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Roco TST-r. But the shop I bought it from had no maunals or information with it.

Marzocchi's site has a PDF user guide, but it just lists what features it has, and doesn't mention how to adjust the things.:madman:

No worries I thought, It can't be too different from my DHX Air, and I am sure I can figure it out.:rolleyes:

The TST adjust is obvious:thumbsup: . I finally figured out the rebound knob:p . But how do you adjust bottom out? Is it air pressure in the piggy back?:confused:

Also, if I want to change the spring, how do I do this?

·
Registered
471 Posts
There really is no bottom out adjustment, just set the piggyback pressure within the range printed on the shock (something like 180-220psi). In order to change the spring you have to remove the rebound knob with a small hex key inserted in the center of the knob. Then just loosen the preload on the spring and slide out the spring retainer at the other end.

700 Posts
TheDon said:
Thanks for that!

So what does the air in the piggyback do?

The site says "Ext. adjustable bottom-out resistance via air valve"

Must be adjustable bottom out! surely!
Hello, I must have overlooked this thread, sorry. I get consumed when I am on this site....;)
So here's the real deal. You can tune bottom-out resistance with changing the air pressure. You can also, in a more advanced way actually reset the IFP inside the shock. I wouldn't try it unless you have rebuilt a shock before though. the stock shock has a 37.5mm IFP depth but you can increase volume to 40mm or decrease volume to 35mm. Again this is advanced. You will notice a big change from minimum air pressure to maximum.

As far as changing the spring, most lengths just require loosening the preload tension and removing the rebound knob with a 2mm allen key. The only length that is a bit more difficult is a 8.75 x 2.75" shock. The best way to do these is to actually mount the reservior end in a vise, then take an 8mm allen and insert it in the slot on the spring collar, leverage the spring down and then very carefully slide the collar out. If you forget the careful part you could end up with a nice blood blister on your index finger or your thumb. I have only witnessed it. It doesn't look fun.

Cheers,
MTD USA

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Not to totally hijack this thread, but I have a couple question regarding my 2008 Roco Air TST R for Marz Tech Support.

The rebound adjuster no longer makes an clicking sound or feel when adjusting. It still appears to work, but has me wondering. I have assumed the clicking is some sort of ball detente that does not really effect performance. Should I be concerned.

I also have had a hard time getting the shock to feel as plush on square edge hits.

Also, I am running the minimum bottom out pressure in the shock and still have never gotten full travel. Any suggestions?

For what its worth, the shock is on a Knolly Delirium T.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Yeah I know, but I figured if it had Marz tech supports attention it might be worth a try. Plus I think there is some similarity between the two (excluding the obvious air vs coil differences)

700 Posts
string said:
Not to totally hijack this thread, but I have a couple question regarding my 2008 Roco Air TST R for Marz Tech Support.

The rebound adjuster no longer makes an clicking sound or feel when adjusting. It still appears to work, but has me wondering. I have assumed the clicking is some sort of ball detente that does not really effect performance. Should I be concerned.

I also have had a hard time getting the shock to feel as plush on square edge hits.

Also, I am running the minimum bottom out pressure in the shock and still have never gotten full travel. Any suggestions?

For what its worth, the shock is on a Knolly Delirium T.
Highjacked and now you have my attention:D . It's funny you mention this, everytime I here about our air shock not getting full travel the bike ends up being a Delirium. I have a feeling that this frame has a rising leverage rate that is doing this. Normally our air shocks have one of the flatest spring rates out there. It's almost identical to a coil shock but with only slight progression at the end. So I think with the combination of the rising rate on the Delirium and the slight rising rate of the shock (all shocks do it) you have trouble getting full travel.
That's all I can figure. I have worked with a lot of bike frames, lengths and designs and for some reason (not good or bad) the Knolly always stands out. That's really the only reason I mention it. I have never plotted the leverage rate on a Delirium.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Marzocchi Tech Department said:
Highjacked and now you have my attention:D . It's funny you mention this, everytime I here about our air shock not getting full travel the bike ends up being a Delirium. I have a feeling that this frame has a rising leverage rate that is doing this. Normally our air shocks have one of the flatest spring rates out there. It's almost identical to a coil shock but with only slight progression at the end. So I think with the combination of the rising rate on the Delirium and the slight rising rate of the shock (all shocks do it) you have trouble getting full travel.
That's all I can figure. I have worked with a lot of bike frames, lengths and designs and for some reason (not good or bad) the Knolly always stands out. That's really the only reason I mention it. I have never plotted the leverage rate on a Delirium.
That is pretty much what I thought on the full travel. Not really a big issue for me, I figure if I land hard enough its good to have that little reserve left. I am not really blaming the shock, just trying to determine what options I have to get a little more of the final travel. I have thought about playing with the bottom out pressure, but have been worried about going below the minimum pressure setting.

Also, any thoughts on the lack of clicking sound or feel when adjusting the rebound. Should I be concerned? (its definitely makes tuning a little tricky, but I just have to reset to max or min and then count rotations (or partial rotations) of the dial).

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
string said:
That is pretty much what I thought on the full travel. Not really a big issue for me, I figure if I land hard enough its good to have that little reserve left. I am not really blaming the shock, just trying to determine what options I have to get a little more of the final travel. I have thought about playing with the bottom out pressure, but have been worried about going below the minimum pressure setting.

Also, any thoughts on the lack of clicking sound or feel when adjusting the rebound. Should I be concerned? (its definitely makes tuning a little tricky, but I just have to reset to max or min and then count rotations (or partial rotations) of the dial).

Thanks for all your help.
possibly set the IFP to 40mm and run lowest PSI that would give the flatest curve correct?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.