Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I imagine you get about 10 posts a day asking "which fork", so let's call this one number 11, and I apologize if it gets old!

I currently ride a 2003 Trek 8500 (I purchase it 6 months ago as practically new old stock). I truly love my bike. It's featherlight, has XT/XTR components, and does everything I need it to do. The shock on the bike is a 2003 Rockshox SID Hydra-Air XC. A couple of buddies have commented to me that this particular model wasn't very good. I didn't really care, but lately my need for a lockout has become important, and my model doesn't have one.

I'm considering the following forks, and would like some input. Mind you, i'm a bit of a "weight weenie" as it's one of the things I love about my bike. I really appreciate everyone's input.

2008 Rockshox SID Team
2006 FOX F100RL
2008 RockShox Reba Race 100mm XC Air

Note: The bike has V-Brakes, and I'm not ready to make the $800+ upgrade to discs (new wheels would be required, it has ROLF Dolomites)

tia!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Probably can't go wrong with any of those forks, how much better they would be I couldn't say. I always thought the SID was good throughout the generations.

Magura also has the Menja and Durin XC forks that take V-brakes. I'm puting a Menja on my 00 S-Works Stumpjumper after its painted.

·
dirtbag
1,527 Posts
Have you looked into sending your fork to Push to see what they can do. From all accounts, they work magic and I'm going to send my Stumpy bits to them this spring. Looks like the options you're looking for are older 06-08 forks, most likely from the used market. At that age, those forks would need some service if they haven't had it done already.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts