Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helping a friend get his new used bike ready.

The 2008 pike only gets an inch or two of travel before it stops. From what I've read it means the oil has leaked into the lower leg.

My question is would a pike motion control rebuild kit have the seals needed to fix the issue? The only kits I've seen are for the 05+ pikes. Is this the correct kit?

Thanks!

Eric

·
Registered
472 Posts
all the RS forks with 32mm legs were very similar inside- same rebuild kit for most years/models. A kit marked 05+ should work fine for a 2008. Be careful what you buy though, sometimes if it says it's a Motion Control kit it has parts for the MoCo cartridge *only*. The leak usually comes from the rebound damper.

FYI when this same problem happened to my 08 Recon, I was able to fix it just by pulling the fork apart then rebuilding it without any new parts. Never leaked down again. Might be worth a try.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perfect! That's the info I needed. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally got around to tearing the fork down. Norton05, I took your advice and just cleaned it up and tossed it back together with some new oil. I did find a small piece of clear plastic that may have caused the leak. It's working 100% with full travel.

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts