Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2008 Remedy

Anyone have any information about it? For 2008 the Fox 36 will be available with a 1.5 steerer tube and also with a 1.5 lower and 1/8 upper in OEM only on the new remedy 9.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yep - A fox 36 with the new flared 1 1/8 to 1 1/2 steer tube on the 9. I saw the remedy brochure from the Trek show--- The new flared steerer makes the front end stiff and mighty light - the best of both worlds so they say. From the pics ive seen it has Trek's new Active Braking Pivot and Full Floater suspension design just like the EX but with 6in of travel- that means it'll climb well and kick some trail on the descents (like the ex)...at least thats what Im hoping for!

·
Registered
682 Posts
The Remedy looks so sweet. Wish I could see one in person!!

·
fight the system
411 Posts
Its driving me nuts waiting for it. I'm either going to get the Remedy of a Enduro SL. I dont really want a dual crown fork but i'm not sure how goofy the rear wheel will be on the Trek. Either way something will be proprietary but if I have to keep waiting i might just get the SL. C'ome on Trek, I need pricing, geometry and parts specs!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well considering the EX9 ETA for new orders was Dec. a few weeks ago and Trek is already shipping some orders...

I think the geometry will probably be pretty similar to last year's. It doesn't have the new 18.5" size the Fuel EX series has. I think its only the rear QR setup that differs, not the rear hub itself...

Dealers can currently pre-order with ETA of Dec. or Jan. depending on where you are.

Bike Radar said:
Fox also comes to the party with an E2 version of the 36 TALAS RC2 fork on the top model Remedy 9. This will also be available aftermarket from Trek for riders who want to upgrade from the RockShox Lyric 2-Step or RockShox Lyrik Solo Air on the Remedy 8 and Remedy 7.

There will be three models of Remedy, all using the same hydroformed Alpha Red aluminium frame. The Remedy 9 will retail for approximately US$4,300 with Shimano Deore XT crank, SRAM XO derailleurs and shifters, Avid juicy Carbon brakes and Bontrager Rhythm Elite wheels. The Remedy 8 will have Deore XT crank, shifters and derailleurs with Bontrager Rhythm Comp wheels for US$3,700 and the US$2,700 Remedy 7 will have Shimano Deore gears, Avid Juicy 5 brakes and Bontrager Rhythm wheels.

·
fight the system
411 Posts
syadasti said:
I think the geometry will probably be pretty similar to last year's. It doesn't have the new 18.5" size the Fuel EX series has.
Damn, that isnt what i wanted to hear.:madman: I'm 5'10" and end up right in the middle of the M and L. Large is too long and Med i end up with the seatpost maxed out. I'll go for the Med but I hate dumping 4K on something that kinda fits.

Are you sure about the back wheel? cause if that is true that might be enough to got trek.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jakomonster said:
Damn, that isnt what i wanted to hear.:madman: I'm 5'10" and end up right in the middle of the M and L. Large is too long and Med i end up with the seatpost maxed out. I'll go for the Med but I hate dumping 4K on something that kinda fits.

Are you sure about the back wheel? cause if that is true that might be enough to got trek.
I'm 5'10.5" and I ride a medium 07 RFX with 22.9" ETT w/90mm 10deg stem works great for me. I also have a 18" Enduro Pro with 23.4" ETT w/70mm 0deg stem and it also fits well. Last year's Remedy in 17.5" had a 23.3" ETT. Its an all mountain bike, not an XC bike, so fit should be ideal. If you are after a trail bike with more XC geometry, you really should be looking at the Fuel EX.

The Trek definitely seems better not even considering the pricing or aesthetics - both of which Trek handily beat Specialized for 2008. This is the first bike line Trek has ever made that has caught my interest. I think they got a home run with this design - seems like they got everything spot-on. My Enduro will have to go for the Remedy 8 :D

I haven't seen the Fuel EX bikes in person, but I assume they use standard hubs and their blog mentions it was one of the design challenges:

Trek Blog said:
Not much has been said about the pivoting rear QR; can you explain more?

Answer: With the ABP system, one of the challenges in making the design work with a standard hub was how to control the angle of the QR lever once it was tight. Some of our first prototypes had the QR threading directly into the pivot axle. The problem was, some people like to run their QR's facing backwards, some people run them forward. Bottom line, there is no right way - they all work. But people are going to want to run them the way they always have. We also want to keep parts to a minimum - especially the parts you wouldn't want falling off in the dirt.

The solution to this was to use a separate nut for the QR. This nut is held in place on the ABP nut with an o-ring. The QR nut can then turn relative to everything else, just like a normal QR, but it stays in place on the frame when you pull the QR out. Tightening the QR works just like normal - thread the QR in, close the lever with the normal amount of force, and because the nut and the QR spin together, independent of anything else, you can "aim" it in any direction once it's closed.

On another note - when the Qr is pulled out, there is only one spring on the lever side, and it is specially wound to have the last coil tight on the QR rod, so it doesn't fall off. - Dylan Howes

August 08, 2007 at 05:39 AM

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
amor587 said:
Found this pricing for the Remedy's online:

Remedy SL 1 $2499.99
Remedy SL 2 $3099.99
Remedy SL 3 $4099.99

Not sure how accurate it is, but it's probably a good baseline. Source: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7loh5/id50.html
That looks like how the Remedy was listed on the 2008 dealer pricelist I saw - forget which level customer pricing that was. I forgot the pricing was the same for the Fuel EX9 as the Remedy 8 - sweet:thumbsup:

·
Registered
545 Posts
jakomonster said:
I haven't actually looked closely, but if the rear design is the same as the Fuel EXs, then they are using a standard hub with a proprietary QR skewer. Translation: you may use any standard QR hub but are limited to the proprietary skewer.

- at about 3min mark

·
fight the system
411 Posts
syadasti said:
If you are after a trail bike with more XC geometry, you really should be looking at the Fuel EX.
This is the first bike line Trek has ever made that has caught my interest. I think they got a home run with this design - seems like they got everything spot-on. My Enduro will have to go for the Remedy 8 :D

I haven't seen the Fuel EX bikes in person, but I assume they use standard hubs and their blog mentions it was one of the design challenges:
I already race xc on a 5" travel bike and won some 24hr solo's with it. I'm a masochist and even pedaled my 45lb DH bike w 3" gazzaloddi's up 4000ft elev so i could ride back down. I'll be using my 6" travel bike to race 100 milers and do 6 hour trail rides because I want to and can regarless what the rest of the world suggests. As long as i have a fork that can drop down for long climbs i'll be a happy camper (hence the TALAS).

I totally agree about the Trek line. i've never thought much about them till now. They have something really good going, the 1.5 to 1.1/8" head set is the icing on the cake.

thanks for the info on the back hub. That was a big sticking point for me and it sounds like they came up with a great solution on the first try. The last detail for me is if they kept the stays narrow enough for my duck foot style pedaling. I polish off my crank arms and tend to hit my heels on wider stay bikes. I wish i could ride one before i plunk down the cash but if i wait till i see one i there might not be any left.

Remedy SL 3 might be on order...

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jakomonster said:
Remedy SL 3 might be on order...
The 8 also has adjustable travel Lyrik 2Step - 160/120. I would think the geometry would be too steep/low to be useful at 100mm anyways. I never use that setting on my RFX of course the damn fork was broken out of the box (only two(160 and 130) of the three settings work).

·
fight the system
411 Posts
Ok, i'm confused. Is it Remedy 7, 8 and 9 or SL1, SL2 and 3?

either way is that the mid range version with full xt and lyrik? thats a pretty smoking setup too and for a grand less than the top tier... any one know the difference between the two? from what i see
top vs mid
Fork: Fox 36 / Lyrik 2 step
Brakes: Avid J carbon / xt?
cranks: XT / XT
drive train: X9? / XT
wheels: ??
stem bar post seat: ???

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jakomonster said:
Ok, i'm confused. Is it Remedy 7, 8 and 9 or SL1, SL2 and 3?

either way is that the mid range version with full xt and lyrik? thats a pretty smoking setup too and for a grand less than the top tier... any one know the difference between the two? from what i see
top vs mid
Fork: Fox 36 / Lyrik 2 step
Brakes: Avid J carbon / xt?
cranks: XT / XT
drive train: X9? / XT
wheels: ??
stem bar post seat: ???
I already posted this above. Here it is again:

Bike Radar said:
Fox also comes to the party with an E2 version of the 36 TALAS RC2 fork on the top model Remedy 9. This will also be available aftermarket from Trek for riders who want to upgrade from the RockShox Lyric 2-Step or RockShox Lyrik Solo Air on the Remedy 8 and Remedy 7.

There will be three models of Remedy, all using the same hydroformed Alpha Red aluminium frame. The Remedy 9 will retail for approximately US$4,300 with Shimano Deore XT crank, SRAM XO derailleurs and shifters, Avid juicy Carbon brakes and Bontrager Rhythm Elite wheels. The Remedy 8 will have Deore XT crank, shifters and derailleurs with Bontrager Rhythm Comp wheels for US$3,700 and the US$2,700 Remedy 7 will have Shimano Deore gears, Avid Juicy 5 brakes and Bontrager Rhythm wheels.

1 - 20 of 243 Posts