Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new 66's....

Have to say the Owner's Manual is a bit spare. No recommendations on preload, nothing on how to access, change or set the air pressure. Very limited explanation on what RC3 actually is and nothing on how to get the best from it.

I tried the Marzocchi website and the "Tech" manual available for download is the same as the Owner's Manual I got with the fork. Could find anything in the Tuning section.

Anyone have a link to a proper tech setup manual ?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I think you are expecting too much from manuals! :D Just joking.

In my experience, owners manuals have always been pretty useless.

I have the 66 RC3 and never opened the manual, granted this is my 4th Marzo coil/oil fork.

To access the air preload, just unscrew the little cap at the top of the left leg. Use a shock pump to push air in until you get about 25-30% sag (45-55mm) when sitting on the bike. It takes very little air pressure, depending on your weight it might even be zero to maybe 10-20psi.

Compression and rebound are setup just like any other fork, to your riding preferences!

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
BanzaiRider said:

I have the 66 RC3 and never opened the manual, granted this is my 4th Marzo coil/oil fork.

To access the air preload, just unscrew the little cap at the top of the left leg. Use a shock pump to push air in until you get about 25-30% sag (45-55mm) when sitting on the bike. It takes very little air pressure, depending on your weight it might even be zero to maybe 10-20psi.

Compression and rebound are setup just like any other fork, to your riding preferences!
Sometimes it's easier to just count the strokes of the pump once you get it to your desired feel, hard to get most pumps to register accurate pressure that low.

·
Build More = Ride More
1,442 Posts
BanzaiRider said:

To add. The 66rc3 doesn't need any air if you weigh under 200 pounds. The mechanical preload adjuster will suit just fine. I weigh 200 lbs and only use 3 turns of preload and zero air and 3 clicks of compression from full open.

·
Registered
2 Posts
YoPawn said:
To add. The 66rc3 doesn't need any air if you weigh under 200 pounds. The mechanical preload adjuster will suit just fine. I weigh 200 lbs and only use 3 turns of preload and zero air and 3 clicks of compression from full open.
I weigh pretty close to 200lbs and of course the user guides were no help. I emailed the marzocchi email address asking for a better tuning guide and they gave me a phone number and extension to call and get help from their tech employees. they seemed pretty helpful. Of course all their reccomendations are best guess as each rider definately likes different feels of their fork/rear shock

·
Living the Dream
1,808 Posts
Is anyone under 170lbs able to get full travel.

I am not able to make this fork as plush as I would like because there is no option to get lighter springs with it. I weigh 165lbs and I am not able to bottom it. I run no air pressure and no mech preload. I have tried lowering the oil level and switching to 5wt. Anyone else have any suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Alpenglow:

I have a 2008 66 rc3 on a Highline just like you. I weigh 150-155, 165-170 with gear. I get full travel, the fork is plush and works absolutely great. Some differences between my fork and yours: I purchased the fork in May 2008, which could have seen changes from your earlier version. Also, I asked the guys where I bought the bike (as part of a build) to make sure the fork was in good order (oil levels, etc). I would recommend having the fork serviced/upgraded by a third party.

·
Living the Dream
1,808 Posts
Thanks.

Missing in Action said:
Alpenglow:

I have a 2008 66 rc3 on a Highline just like you. I weigh 150-155, 165-170 with gear. I get full travel, the fork is plush and works absolutely great. Some differences between my fork and yours: I purchased the fork in May 2008, which could have seen changes from your earlier version. Also, I asked the guys where I bought the bike (as part of a build) to make sure the fork was in good order (oil levels, etc). I would recommend having the fork serviced/upgraded by a third party.
I may send it into Zoke when I go on vacation. What oil weight are you using?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Alpenglow said:
I am not able to make this fork as plush as I would like because there is no option to get lighter springs with it. I weigh 165lbs and I am not able to bottom it. I run no air pressure and no mech preload. I have tried lowering the oil level and switching to 5wt. Anyone else have any suggestions. Thanks.
I did pretty much the same thing - except I was able to get full travel until I changed the oil (also to 5wt). I discovered that I had too much oil, and started dropping the level by about 3ml increments. I hit a sweet spot and it was back to full travel and the damping worked through the entire stroke. My guess is your oil heights are off.

Then I had to send my fork back to marzo to get new uppers, lowers (casting was bad, first batch production and the QR came lose/crappy bushings). basically a new chassis. Working fine now, although I think I'm gonna change back to a 5wt oil. Definitely needs an oil change, the fork had to be rebroken in and now its a little sticky.

Anyway, as far as the OT goes, you shouldn't need to screw with the top air valve - It'll make the damping ramp up more and increase it alot, but the spring in there should be a good weight for you. I'm running 4 clicks of compression (bottom of the left leg, red knob) 0 preload and no rebound damping (top of the left leg). Its fairly straight forward, its not gonna throw you any curveballs. Start with what feels comfortable. If you find you're getting lots of brake dive, up the comp damping. If you find its too harsh, lower the comp damping. If you feel like you're getting bucked, up the rebound damping. If you feel like you're not getting bucked, lower the rebound damping until you DO feel like you're getting bucked, then drop it just slightly. Faster rebound equates to better traction. i'd run about 20% sag so dial in the red knob on the top of the right leg as much as you have to in order to get it there. For smaller guys, harder to do, but marz IS making lighter springs so don't worry too much. I was told by one of their sales guys that we shouldn't expect them until after the release of the 09 forks/shocks since thats what they're focusing entirely on, but soon after. in other words, probably some time in october or november.

·
Registered
1 Posts
this is wierd..

the recommended settings for a 200lb rider are around 155 on the PAR and 120 on the ATA..
this feels very stiff, when I try to make it plush the PSI is around 30 on the ATA valve
is this normal?

700 Posts
bugasa said:
the recommended settings for a 200lb rider are around 155 on the PAR and 120 on the ATA..
this feels very stiff, when I try to make it plush the PSI is around 30 on the ATA valve
is this normal?
You got it right! The website is wrong.

I would say more like 130psi in the PAR and 40-45psi in the ATA. If it feels good go with it but it could pretty progressive with your current settings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.