Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all,

I just recently purchased a Scalpel 4 with a Lefty DLR and upon opening the bike from the box I noticed that the fork boot was damaged. I cannot seem to find anywhere a set of instructions on how to remove and replace the boot. Will the boot slip over the disc tabs and fork axle? OR does the leg need to be dropped out of the upper and the boot installed from the top?

I noticed in a post from Eliflap when he was installing his uber-light boot, he had to cut his old boot off to remove it?!

Suggestions?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there ZImm,

I appreciate the attempt to help, but here's the kicker: no where in the manual is there mention on how to change the boot, just to change the boot when it gets damaged. This manual is essentially the same as for my '08 DLR2. This my friend is why I am frustrated - I've done the internet research, nowhere can I find a blog, nor a video, nor a set of instructions on how to change the boot with a newer (bonded clamp style) Lefty.:madman:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Right. The owner's manual supplement is very helpful, but doesn't cover how to change the boot.

The boot is easy to change when you've split the telescope (separated the upper from lower leg). But you would only do that if you're changing bearings or races. Believe me you don't want to do that if you don't have to.

That said, it has been said by very knowledgeable people on this board that it is possible to slide a new boot over the spindle, over the disc brake tabs and into position. But it ain't easy. I believe others have mentioned taping over the disc tabs to "ramp" the boot over a little easier, and lubing generously. Sounds like it might be a bit messy, but not too bad.

jasonsheep said:
Hi there ZImm,

I appreciate the attempt to help, but here's the kicker: no where in the manual is there mention on how to change the boot, just to change the boot when it gets damaged. This manual is essentially the same as for my '08 DLR2. This my friend is why I am frustrated - I've done the internet research, nowhere can I find a blog, nor a video, nor a set of instructions on how to change the boot with a newer (bonded clamp style) Lefty.:madman:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Here you go: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=2447445&postcount=2

From the master himself.

jasonsheep said:
Hi there ZImm,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good day folks,

Might I say that I am thoroughly impressed! This Cannondale forum is truly a marvelous thing! Thanks for all that helped.

From, a very gracious Lefty owner.

I'll let you know how it goes when I get the new part in.

P.S. Has anyone installed an inverted Lizard Skin fork boot onto a lefty? Pros? Cons? I had a set installed on my Shivers a few years back, but those stanchions were a wee bit larger than the Lefty, and also round...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah yes, it would seem that the stanchion under the boot is greased and a Lizard Skin would do everything in its power to rob it of its slippery(ness).

Once again, many thanks!

Happy holidays everyone.

jasonsheep

·
Ridin' dirty!
2,230 Posts
kopaczus said:
I did that and I failed miserably. The inner tube would just get stuck under the upper tube and go into the bearings. Then it just gets torn and all fun is over.
You need to use a short piece of inner tube and stretch it before installation... that way it'll just get shorter when the lefty compresses and doesn't get caught in the bearings...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.