Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Calling all Coilair owners i have a coilair supreme. And have a problem with the crank arms/magiclink flexing and hitting the chainstays, any one else have this problem??

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a regular 2008 Coilair and don't know how that would even be possible. I can't imagine there being any flex the way the rear triangle connects to the lower bracket and the rocker arm.

I would have to guess you are bending the cranks; otherwise you would have to be flexing the whole lower part of the frame...and nothing personal...but I really doubt that.

Pics...or a better explanation?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Unlike "our" Coilers, The chain stays pivot on the magic link on the new ones. I would expect a nominal amount of lateral flex, but not enough for the cranks to hit the chain stays.

It could be a just be a matter of having the correct spacers in the X-type BB.

I'd see my dealer, or ask TECH from Kona.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just thinking, that lowest bolt would have to be REALLY loose or defective for it to allow enough play for the cranks to contact the chainstays.

OP: Have you brought it back to the shop you got it at? Curious to find out what the issue is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bike gone back to shop waiting outcome from Paligap.just wondered if it was a isolated problem all nuts and bolts ok, had a look at a Coilair Deluxe and with 2 hands you can get it to flex, mine 1 hand and it touches chainstay do have photos.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my new '08 coilair supreme (18").

Clearance is fine when pedaling as usual but as soon as I pump out some force to get up a hill, the right crank hits the chainstay. And I too can bend the crank to touch the chainstay, it doesn't even take a lot of effort. Something has WAY too much flex here.
The crank already left some pretty nasty marks on the chainstay from rubbing against it.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Sailfish,
Are in the US or Europe? Have you taken bike back to retailer? Have you had any feedback from Retailer/Kona? Mine has been back in shop for nearly 2 weeks and heard nothing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm from Europe (Austria).
The bike just arrived today so I haven't taken any action at all yet. Also, I should mention that the bike was bought from a german bike retailer through ebay. (1800€ winning bid I might add, the auction expired during a soccer match of germany vs poland or something like that :D)

So far communication with that retailer wasn't great so I'd like to avoid sending it in at all costs.

I do have a LBS that carries Kona bikes though, maybe I'll let him have a look at it.

Already tried opening a thread on the konaworld.com tech forum but whenever I submit the thread all I get is a blank page. The FAQ there says the forum is moderated but the blank page leads me to believe that it's a bug.

//edit: I qualify as a clyde by the way, at the moment I'm weighting in at 105kg/225 lbs. But I don't think that justifies flex like that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rode again today, and after riding I remembered this issue. I see what you two are talking about. I grabbed a crank, and with enough pressure you can make it contact the chainstay. I tried flexing the chainstay on the magiclink pivot, but didn't see much flex.

Therefore...I think it is an issue of weak/flexy cranks. Wonder if a set of better quality cranks would resolve the issue. Curious to see what your LBS say.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Try it with pedal pro on and go up a hill. Mine touches on every turn of the crank only on the drive side, bike shop says no problems with cranks flexing its the frame/magiclink.They did mention getting cranks with a lager Q factor. If it flexes on a new bike imagine once you get some wear on the bushes/bearings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just took my bike out for the first ride, loving it. But the flex is really an issue, esp. since I discovered small marks on the left side too. I'm also inclined to believe that its frame flex and not the crank.

Kona hasn't responded yet. I'm unable to post on their forums, can't even send a pm. Tried to send an email now and included a link to this thread, hope that works.

It's pretty funny because I originally wanted to get a Yeti 757 but didn't because of the rear flex... now i get this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I received my mail from Kona now.
They told me to bring it to the closest authorized dealer so they can check all if pivot screws, spacers and whatnot are are assembled correctly. I'll do that and we'll see from there... odd that it's only the Supreme having those issues. (could also be a coincidence though.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like you two got some bad setups. Mine is the entry level model...and no issues. It's only when I grab the crank and bend it towards the CS. Tried every conceivable way to flex the rear triangle and didn't notice any flex in the magiclink. You mentioned drive side issues. If anything it seems to be easier for me on the non-drive side.

thanks to all this though, I have now noticed some side to side play in the cranks and bb.:madman:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Jaxon,
Yes i had a demo Coilair Deluxe no issues with it, it just seems to be the Supreme. The clearance was twice the distance of mine about 18mm where mine is only about 9mm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey SM,

I'm assuming you are referrring to the clearance between the CS and the crank? Such as Sailfish's picture.

Either way, hope you guys get it figured out. I was really hesitant buying a new model with minimal reviews but I've had mine a little over a month and am truly loving it. Great bike.

·
Registered
350 Posts
hey everyone, a few things to look out for.

#1) Some of the early bikes apparently got shipped without having the magic link/frame and chainstay/magic link pvots properly torqued and locktited. In addition, some did not have the paint removed under the bolthead prior to assembly.

There should be a bulliten to all dealers, who should be able to check this for you.

#2) Some of the cranks may not have the correct spacers under the BB cup. There should be a minimum of 10mm crank to chainstay clearance, regardless of which crank or model bike,

Sailfish, yours looks a little close....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pete36 said:
So is it an assembly problem then?
Appears to be according to Shock. And Shock should know as I am pretty sure he works for Break Therapy and the ones that designed the magiclink system. If you are having any issues, I would just bring it by your Kona LBS and have them check everything out.

It definitely didn't happen to all of them as mine has been SWEET! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.