Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Paper or plastic?
10,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's that time of the year again. So, what were your highs and lows for 08? What are you hoping to achieve in 2009?

Come on, don't be shy.:)

·
annadel lives in my blood
434 Posts
Highs well got back into mtn biking around may
got in 625 miles on my stumpjumper comp best gift ever from the folks
helped out with an bunch races (bikemonkey events)
did an couple races (bikemonkey events)
rode an lot of places
rode
all of annadel
mt hood
sugerloaf
downeville
china camp
helen putnum
tamarancho
oh yeah
i lost 27 pounds

lows

hit an jump nailed my knee and elbow emt and ranger checked me out had to ride with an wrist brace that slowed me an little

goals to ride like there tommorrow

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
This year was good for me. After breaking my leg last year, I couldn't really start riding until February, and when I got back on the bike, I was 35 lbs heavier and had almost no muscle in my right leg (below the knee, my quad was much smaller too).

I started riding modestly in February - mountain biking in Folsom on the weekends. In the beginning of April, my doctor cleared me for full activity so I was able to start riding in Auburn again, and also do a few races at Prairie city. That rocked, even though I got spanked in the sport class ;).

As we got in to summer, my main riding friends for mtb were super busy and couldn't ride much, so I took to the road. I did a ton of road riding (for me), rode to a second place finish with my team at Eppie's, did my first century (Tour of Napa Valley in 6 hours) and met a ton of great people from here.

In the middle of the summer I did start mountain biking again. The most important ride for me was on July 8. After I broke my leg I set a goal to ride the trail where I was hurt, on the one year date. I worked very hard to be in shape enough to do the ride, and went up and had a great time!

Since then, I've continued riding as much as possible, though work and classes at CSU, Sacramento have made it very difficult to find much time on the bike. Lately I've been down to one ride a week. I would like to hit 2000 road miles this year and I'm only 123 miles from that goal. A friend of mine wants to do some riding the week of the 29th, so we planned to do a couple of rides, maybe a century, and get me over that 2000 mark.

Overall, I had a great year. Got in great shape, dropped over 40 lbs and had a ton of fun on the bikes.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Bought a new bike. Rode more miles this year than last. Met more MTBR members on group rides. Took 10 min off last years Sea Otter time. Next years goals are to beat my Sea Otter time, add one more race to the schedule, meet more MTBR members through group rides, take 1 mtn bike vacation and more local trips (Tahoe, foothills, D'ville).

Attachments

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
2008: Placed in a few races, rode in some cool new spots including some int'l trips, added a Mojo to the stable, met a bunch of new mtbr folks, did over 350 combine man (and woman) hours of trailwork with the BTCEB, attended the IMBA conference and stayed relatively injury free

2009: Registered for the '09 Death Ride, a few mtb races and my first triathlon. Adding a new road bike in early 2009. A 5 week trip to Asia will keep me off the bike for way to freakin long but it's an awesome networking opportunity for future humanitarian projects(and all expense paid trip - woot, woot). Planning some cool social mtb events for BTCEB.

·
My spoon is too big!
881 Posts
Bought a new bike, which got me back into riding after a long time off. Rode more miles this year than the previous 5 years combined.

Life is good!

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
'08

Highs: Riding Downieville for the first time, getting a chance to ride the TRT more, watching my skills develop slowly but surely, and of course, meeting more cool MTBR folks.

Lows: Piling my plate so full with work and school that I didn't have enough time to ride.

'09

Goals: Get a road bike, complete the Rose to Toad's ride, ride at least 3 days of every week.

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
Gained 30 pounds and rode a heck of a lot less than in prior years.

Sounds bad, but the reason behind it is pretty awesome.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Plim said:
Gained 30 pounds and rode a heck of a lot less than in prior years.

Sounds bad, but the reason behind it is pretty awesome.
Wait until you get another one... :)

·
Forgiven
426 Posts
Recovered from an ankle injury in early 08 that lead to a slow return to fitness. Finishing the year strong although drinking mucho Fat Tire Ale.. Very thankful for a wife that encourages my cycling. Love to watch my oldest (a first grader) ride his bike to school with dad in tow, all the while watching my middle son freeride with training wheels.. always trying to keep up.

And mostly I am profoundly honored to have just ordered my youngest son's first wheelchair.. it arrives in Feb. He's getting mag wheels so his tiny fingers don't get pinched in spokes.. Mobility in the form of wheels is an incredible thing.

Oh yeah, and there's an Optimus Ti Vassago sitting in a box in the garage.. and UPS keeps dropping off all these cool parts. :D

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Highs:
  • Joined MTBR!
  • First real mountain bike race
  • First MTBR ride (Baycat's awesome Marin excursion)
  • The Passion shop rides, especially those led by Tom
  • Learned how to repair carbon fiber
  • Skeggs to HMB & back w/Menso et al.
  • Henry Coe Fall Circus
  • Upgraded to Expert
  • First night ride (Thanks Angel!)
  • And most recently, riding frozen trails under a full moon
Lows:
Lots of races & rides I missed. It took a lot of time and hassle to finally get the bike I wanted (see 'carbon fiber', above).

And for 2009:
  • Boggs. After this I will know if I like endurance events or not.
  • So No Mas, but only if Boggs is more fun than suffering.
  • Adventure racing. Aside from a major hang up with running, this sounds entertaining.
  • At least one Silent Q
  • Food
  • Beer
  • Annadel
  • Oat Hill Mine
  • Tahoe
  • Cross racing!
  • All kinds of stuff I haven't thought of yet
  • Getting to know more of the MTBR crew

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.