Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a 2008 MKIII trail from RS cycles. It seems like it might be the best bike ever: 130mm coil spring fork, 5 inches of rear travel, robust shifting 8 speed drive train, real shock, good brakes and tires, and a refined D-W suspension.

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
I love mine. Fantastic bike.

Not as plush over small bumps as I'd like, but I'm sure my shock and fork could possibly use a rebuild. Maybe not. I'm just used to riding the plushness of my 7point with a Totem.

But I love my bike. With a short stem, it can descend with the best of them, and with the seat all the way up, it cab climb like a champ!

Congrats on the new bike!

·
GreeneDog
271 Posts
Best All around bike I have ever owned. To be the best bike ever it would need a little more refinement for me. Example, if the Ibis Mojo rides like the MKIII I may go along with that bike being call the best ever. That is a pretty bike.

I have an 2006 Sport, which would be very close to the Trail version. I have upgraded most parts, but not to all highend parts. I bumped most part up to XT level and a plush Manitou Nixon with 20mm axle. I love it.

Here is my statement about the MKIII. It is the best bike ever assembled for the money. At any trim level. The Comp might have been the best out of MKIII for pure value.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SenorSlacker said:
2006 MKIII COMP. Comp models are the best pure value bikes on the market period.
I used to think that, until you look at the reliability of the parts on the 08 Trail. 8 speed with SRAM pull ratios. Steel fork with coil spring. Cup and cone hubs with quiet stiff rotors and mineral oil brakes. A good seat. EA30 cockpit. Tires that are more concerned about you than you are about them.

I would have liked to see asymmetric rims, but that is about it.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
clark said:
Steel is 3 times stiffer than aluminum. 32mm steel stanchions rock. Who needs 25% here and there when stanchions are 300% stiffer?
35mm steel stanchions are 300% better

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
outfaced said:
:nono:

it is 3 times stiffer than pure aluminum, but aluminum alloys can be stiff like steel and there are 3 times lighter ;)

steel and steel alloys can be pretty diferent too
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel

and it is not all about stiffnes
I was surprised to learn that stiffness is independent of alloy. 7075 has about the same modulus of elasticity as all other aluminum ~ 10.

Here is a link from an enginnering lab:

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache...uminum&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=safari

(you might want to get rid of the last part of that address).

Any stiffness also goes as thickness cubed for a square section. If it is about the same for a round section 35*35*35 is 1.3 times 32*32*32 so steel at 35 is only 30% stiffer than steel at 32.

While we are at it stiffness also goes as length cubed... so if there are 100 mm of stanchion inside the fork. lets say the load is applied half way between the two bushings down at 50 mm. and there are about 150 mm above the center of the top bushing on my 130 mm fork. So the L that gets cubed is 200 mm.

If the fork were aluminum what travel would it need to have to deliver the same stiffness?

I get 138 mm. subtract (50+20) to get 68 mm of travel.

So my steel 130 mm coil spring fork handles the same as a Fox Float 68 while providing twice as much travel.

Good fork.

MKIII Trail: Best Bike Ever

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
airtym said:
Did I say something that made sense? I still wish I had been able to get the 2006 MKIII Comp, the green one. That thing rocked.
That's the MkIII that I have. Bought it for $950, sold all the parts off of it except the shock, seat tube, rear wheel, handle bar and saddle. Then replaced everything with parts I liked.

Fantastic bike.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
511 Posts
I went from a light weight vintage cannondale killer v2000 w/ xtr gear to a MKIII sport and all I can say is WOW. Where I loose speed on the uphill I go plowing past on the downhill. I love this bike! The parts upgrades have already started!

·
Registered
116 Posts
clark said:
MKIII Trail: Best Bike Ever
while i love and own a 2008 MKIII Trail, i think this thread is a little over the top. I took off the tora-289 and put on an 07 Fox Talas 36 RC2. Funny thing is that going from 130mm of travel to 150mm i actually saved weight. The new fork is really nice for the down and doesn;t hurt me on the climbs, unlike the pogo stick they call the 289. the drivetrain could be better. While i see the trail as a great bike, its not the "Best Bike Ever".

·
Registered
216 Posts
tnickols said:
while i love and own a 2008 MKIII Trail, i think this thread is a little over the top. I took off the tora-289 and put on an 07 Fox Talas 36 RC2. Funny thing is that going from 130mm of travel to 150mm i actually saved weight. The new fork is really nice for the down and doesn;t hurt me on the climbs, unlike the pogo stick they call the 289. the drivetrain could be better. While i see the trail as a great bike, its not the "Best Bike Ever".
Awww stop being such a hater. Hate the game not the playa:nono:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tnickols said:
Did you get enjoyment and pride in work from upgrading the bike? That is one of the qualities that makes it the best bike ever.

·
Registered
116 Posts
SenorSlacker said:
Awww stop being such a hater. Hate the game not the playa:nono:
Wait, i'm a hater? Did you not read the first few words of my post? I said i love my
MK III. I got more satisfaction from being able to ride a little bit tougher trails with the new fork than actually upgrading it. but to add on to my first post i could use the same reasons why its considered "Best Bike Ever" to use the other describe many other bikes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.