Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im working out of town, and decided to head into one of the LBS down here.

They have a GF HIfi from 08 still available but it is the base model.

My questions though, are the frames the same through the different models (base, deluxe, and Pro)?

Is the frame clyde worthy? Im 260 lbs right now, but the weight is going down slowly.

The last question for now is, The MSRP was around $1600 and its marked down to $1200. What would you guys try to get it for? Is it good at the $1200 or try to get it lower.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'd pass. The chainstay or bridge is bound to break (see the thread re: this frame, and yes, mine broke too), and if that LBS isnt' local to you, will be a hassle getting the warranty replacement taken care of.

EDIT: My bad - Josh is right wrt to warranty issue support. I had incorrectly assumed that OP was checking out GFs out of town because of non local availability at his LBS. But I was reading too much into the situation.

·
Registered
934 Posts
bycyclist said:
I'd pass. The chainstay or bridge is bound to break (see the thread re: this frame, and yes, mine broke too), and if that LBS isnt' local to you, will be a hassle getting the warranty replacement taken care of.
Incorrect. Keep the receipt for date of purchase and ANY Trek/Fisher dealer in the country can take care of warranty issues for you without any hassle.

·
Registered
432 Posts
i have a '08 Deluxe (same frame) and i've weighed everywhere from 270 - 250 on mine and i've had no problems frame wise. now, i've never taken it off any 3 foot jumps but it's held up to 2 foot drops, rock gardens, nasty roots and everything else i've thrown at it.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
I'd do it if the price is right for you. Fisher warranty is second to none and if/when it breaks, you could very well end up with a tasty '10 model to hang all of your parts off of, gratis (other than the down time).

Like Josh wrote, any Fisher dealer can handle a warranty claim.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
I'd do it if the price is right for you. Fisher warranty is second to none and if/when it breaks, you could very well end up with a tasty '10 model to hang all of your parts off of, gratis (other than the down time).

Like Josh wrote, any Fisher dealer can handle a warranty claim.
I hear nothing but great things about the Fisher warrenty. HOWEVER, if this is a 26" bike and something does happen - you will more then likely not get another Fisher. i contacted GF about this and they said if they cannot replace the part - they will replace the frame with a Trek Fuel... which for fans of G2... this sucks. This is the idea GF is currently kicking around according to Gary Fisher customer service.

·
Registered
632 Posts
warrenty experience

Twenty Times said:
I hear nothing but great things about the Fisher warrenty. HOWEVER, if this is a 26" bike and something does happen - you will more then likely not get another Fisher. i contacted GF about this and they said if they cannot replace the part - they will replace the frame with a Trek Fuel... which for fans of G2... this sucks. This is the idea GF is currently kicking around according to Gary Fisher customer service.
They will most likely give you a choice. When I had issues with my CAKE 2 DLX, they gave me a HIFI frame+fork for the price of the fox suspension (ie frame free), or the complete HIFI pro for a reduced price. I took the complete bike.

two years of great riding on the white HIFI pro, had the LBS look at a small paint crack on the chain stay and the factory sent a new 2009 red HIFI frame and rear shock replacement for free.

These guys dont mess around - reputation is HUGE.

For me, I am staying with GF for a long long time....because i know (as does the LBS) that if there is a problem I will be taken care of. So if you dont mind a 29er replacement for your 26er, cool.....or if you want a 26er replacement, TREK has them in your size.

yours truely, a happy GF owner.

23lb 13oz HIFI photo

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
I weigh About 240. Riding a 2008 Hifi. Snapped the frame Twice now. Fisher does have the best warranty and good service. insted of replace the frame this time they are giving me a credit toward a Roscoe. Per my request. The roscoe is much beefyer. better sooted for a heavy rider.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.