Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to find if there was already some discussion in progress about it, but couldn't find, so I'm posting a new thread. :)

I'm trying to figure out which one of these two bikes would be the best one for a heavy duty trail bike, to handle rough, agressive riding, face some jumps and yet be a bike that I'd be able to pedal uphill. Currently I own a 2008 Yeti 575 Carbon XTR, sitting at 26.5lbs. Although the 575 is an amazing ride, it is basically a light trail bike and I really don't push the bike too much further its intent, not that it can't take it, but mostly because of its caracteristics. But I know it would never take as much abuse as, per say, a Heckler.

My concerns are that the Blur LT2 may not be as burly as the Heckler and have 10mm less of rear travel, but the Heckler must not be just as good and easy to pedal as the LT2 and may not have a rear suspension just as progressive and with a "bottomless" feel as the BLT2. Considering I'll probably spec a Pike whatever bike I buy from these two, I'm focusing on the overall capabilities of each one, but primely strenght, then pedaling performance. I'd like to keep it aroud 29-30lbs.

I read some reviews about the BLT2 at MBA (right, I know RC just really looooves everything he loves, so that's no surprise he loved the BLT2 and sticked with it - no doubt the bike is great, though) and Biclycling Mag, and in the MBA's review RC made an curious comment: he said the BLT2 now surpass the SL, the Hecler and the Nomad, and get over each one in its own field. If that's so true, so the BLT2 is the bike to choose. But I can't shake the feeling that the VPP may be a bit troublesome compared to the proven Heckler's singlepivot.

For a long time I have my eyes on the Heckler, but now I'm a bit confused about all of this, because the BLT2 seems very promissing and capable. Can anyone tell me more and compare the bikes? Suggestions on shock, fork and component specs are also welcome. Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

·
I fix choppers
993 Posts
Perfection????

I do not believe that exists. However, I have read every review and article regarding the Blur LT2 and and not only is there nary a bad review (not even any real nit picks), but the various reviewers seem to feel this rig is "the one". I am intrigued enough to seriously put the wheels in motion to get a frame. This is after enjoying the last three + years aboard a Heckler which has been hands down the best most fun bike I have rode in my 20+ years of mountain biking. I have rode all of the bikes mentioned in the MBA article and if RC's comments hold true regarding the BLT2 surpassing the SL, Nomad and Heckler it will be damn impressive. I thought long and hard about switching to a Nomad, but I just liked the Heckler's handling more. The new BLT has the same geometry so it should be right on. I can't argue w/ the merits of the VPP suspension: it does kick azz. The downside has been the additional maintenance, but it sounds like SC got it licked with their new design. All the reviewers test rode one that is right in the weight range you are looking at so you should be golden. I certainly could not fault anyone for going with a Heckler. It too is a fantastic bike, however its suspension is not going to feel as subtle or refined. Its all in what yr used to. I will likely be one of the first people around here to build a Blur LT with some beefy stuff as I will just switch the parts off my Heckler and add a new CCDB for it. Stay tuned...:devil:

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
BLT2 sounds like a great bike. I haven't ridden the new one.

I have a current generation Heckler - it's nice - climbs really well, I don't have much issue with climbing over square edged bumps but I have a coil shock on mine and I run platform off. The only real knock, just like a faux bar bike, is that it doesn't soak up the bumps during braking as well as a bike like a VPP or a Horst link will. It'll be perfect for my winter riding though with the 100% pivot bearing guarantee. Either one will be good, and like Hellbelly said, with the new VPP bearing system it might be as trouble free as a Heckler is.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you are a clyde (like me), I would (and SC did) suggest the Heckler. But the Blur looks like a great option, if I wasn't 275 lbs. The Heckler is also cheaper (for a same spec complete bike), so that also weighed into my decision.

·
emtb.pl
879 Posts
Cannot realy say for the new heckler as I only had an hour on it but both LT&LT2 are quicker uphill than the previous Heckler. To keep bob in reasonable range Heckler needed good platform to my taste, LT just a bit and LT2 doesn't need any. LT2 feels quicker uphill than the Nomad on my course. LT didn't. LT was quite annoying in terms of service - nothing like the simplicity of the Heckler. The LT2 seems more maintaince-free, at least for now.
I am 205lbs and ride LT2 with rp23. If you're heavier, go with coil. Heckler with coil sounds bulletproof. LT2 coil will be much quicker uphill though.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I can't say I notice any bob on my 07 Heckler, I run dhx-5 coil Push'd and it climbs fine, I must try and see if there is a demo BLT2 around to try, can it really be that much better than the trusty Heckler, :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
it really just comes down to the suspension platform. VPP makes the BLT a great climber and good on the downhills- but it could be great downhill with the right build. The Heckler can be built up to be a downhill beast but will always be a slower climber.

·
Registered
245 Posts
krolik said:
I am 205lbs and ride LT2 with rp23. If you're heavier, go with coil. Heckler with coil sounds bulletproof. LT2 coil will be much quicker uphill though.
SC told me that a coil would not fit on the LT 2???

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
badastronaut800 said:
it really just comes down to the suspension platform. VPP makes the BLT a great climber and good on the downhills- but it could be great downhill with the right build. The Heckler can be built up to be a downhill beast but will always be a slower climber.
And what would be a good build? I'm planning using a full 2008 XT set, including 20mm wheelset and brakeset with 180mm rotors, for the Heckler or the BLT2. What I haven't decided yet, apart which bike to get, is the fork I'll stick upfront. The 36 seems to be a bit overkill on the BLT2, but seems it kinda fits better on the Heckler. But I think for both the Pike seems to be spot on. I've heard something about the Pike to be pushed up to 150mm and get the maxle light for 2009. That would be a even better choice for both bikes.

But would the LT2 beefy enough as the Heckler with such package? I think the stroke in the Heckler must be very linear, while the shock in the LT2 may be more progressive, am I right? That would compensate the 10mm less of rear travel on the LT? The new VPP seems a good deal, but I still have a keen on the proven single-pivot simplicity of the Heckler. But I'm more and more interested to know about how the LT2 handles the big stuff. You see: I'm having a hard time making my mind. Boy... :madman:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
krolik said:
Cannot realy say for the new heckler as I only had an hour on it but both LT&LT2 are quicker uphill than the previous Heckler. To keep bob in reasonable range Heckler needed good platform to my taste, LT just a bit and LT2 doesn't need any. LT2 feels quicker uphill than the Nomad on my course. LT didn't. LT was quite annoying in terms of service - nothing like the simplicity of the Heckler. The LT2 seems more maintaince-free, at least for now.
What set-up are you using? How dou you feel the LT2 over agressive riding? Do you have any concerns on the VPP linkage when throwing big hits at it?

·
Learning to Fly
156 Posts
Well, if you get the LT2 and don't like it you shouldn't have any problem selling it. Could probably even sell it used and get a new heckler frame and some change if you take good care of it.

Or... by the time you really put the LT2 through it's paces the Nomad2 or VP2 could be an option. :thumbsup:

·
emtb.pl
879 Posts
Black RONIN said:
What set-up are you using? How dou you feel the LT2 over agressive riding? Do you have any concerns on the VPP linkage when throwing big hits at it?
I'm running it with 36 talas and 650b wheel in front and rp23.
go here if you're interested:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=409967&page=5
as for sensation, I ride at 130 most times as 650b adds 15mm to the a-c height. At 160 the bike feels extremely solid over big stuff at speed but indeed a tiny bit choppery on trail.
LT2 is much stiffer lateraly than the LT (at least in XL sizes) and the stroke feels constant and linear in this comparison.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I switched about a year ago from a previous generation Heckler with a coil DHX to a Nomad with DHX air, the rest of the kit came of the Heckler including my Talas 36. A year down the line I am really enjoying the Nomad, great bike, the VPP does have a lot of feedback in the granny ring though. The thing is, the Nomad is definitely nicer, but is it nice enough to justify double the price for the frame? in my opinion, no. I am starting to get some creaking in the rear, so it has held up well, but changing all those bearings is going to be a pain.

If I could do it all over again I would still keep my Heckler and use the money difference between both frames to get myself a nice set of wheels, I believe they would make a bigger difference in the ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.