Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 348 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone get either of these yet? considering a purchase but would like to hear from some who have purchased/tested already. read some online reviews but still unsure. would love to swap out the fork on either (coil lyrik on sanction or pike on the force) rather than what they come with but gt says no-way. currently have a 2006 gt i-drive 5.4....debating whether to toss in a grand in upgrades or go for a whole new bike.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just picked up a Force 2.0 last Thursday after much research but have not had the chance to ride it (snow). I am truly excited about it though and plan on upgrading the fork to a 55ata soon. I did however ride one at rays this past weekend where GT had a demo going on. Overall I think I made a great purchase as I demoed the bike through jumps, the pump track rock gardens, lots of wood terrain and mainly the xc loop. The bike seemed to soak up everything big and small and surprisingly, was very predictable jumping. Climbing felt solid and I did not notice any pedal bob or suspension input into the pedals and vise versa. I wish I had more to say but Rays is not an ideal test bed for an AM bike. I will say though that from what I did ride, I will be looking forward to some great rides once this winter weather turns.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't know the weight on the Sanction, but it would be more than the Force 3.0, which weighed in at 32.4# at the LBS.

·
Registered
20 Posts
kvd623: have you ridden your new bike yet? It looks like it should be a good thing. I'm deciding what one I should get at the moment. I've looked at the kona dawg but think that the GT looks better. I just need to work out weather i want the 3.0 or 2.0. I do like the white frame on the 2.0.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No rides yet. Yesterday was beautiful, but I was at work all day.

Color may be relative. I got mine at Performance and as you can see above, their version is a really dark slate grey/green. The GT web site shows the 3.0 with a silver.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tommorow is the day.
I'm heading into my lbs to test ride a GT force.
I think that I'll be going for the force 2.0 I think that it has a good spec and should do me for a few years of good times. i'll see what i think of it after the ride.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Wow, That's a nice ride Catman. That's the one I want but I may have to wait until the end of this year to afford one and there's no way I'm selling my GT I-drive Team. keep us posted on future rides.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well I got my first couple of rides in over the weekend, and I have to say that this is a great bike!

Very plush. I do notice the extra weight compared to my HT... then again, it could just be that these were my first trail rides this year.

I still need to do a little tweaking... still some slight bob when sprinting out of the saddle. Maybe some saddle height and foward/aft positioning. Lower back was a bit sore and tight after an hour and a half of trail riding.

Still getting used to clipless. Couple of low speed sideways falls in tight turns because I couldn't get out in time. Also I dont think that I am taking advantage of the upstroke quite yet. Hopefully soon, it will all become natural to get in and out.

Overall a great climber with little to no pedal bob (untweaked), and bombing downhill was a lot of fun!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm very happy with it.
The worst thing is that after going on a ride for about 2 kms i got a flat already :( So I've already had to pull the rear wheel off.

·
Beemer2
125 Posts
Beautiful

I love it, two of my sons and myself all want Force 2's, where did you buy it and did you pay list price? I've called every GT dealer from Houston to Biloxi, Miss and no one plans on stocking the high end GT's so we have to just chance it and order them through a dealer ($100.00 off each from list price if we order three-wow, what a deal). GT told me to deal with Performance Bike, but they can't sell them through the internet as per agreement with GT!! I'm about ready to go get a Reign1 and ride!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm from australia my lbs stocks them and had this on the floor. sucks for you guys that they don't stock them. I paid 3000 for it (sucks being so far away from usa) I would recommend this bike but it would be good if you could ride one to make sure you are happy.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ocguy2004 said:
anyone get either of these yet? considering a purchase but would like to hear from some who have purchased/tested already. read some online reviews but still unsure. would love to swap out the fork on either (coil lyrik on sanction or pike on the force) rather than what they come with but gt says no-way. currently have a 2006 gt i-drive 5.4....debating whether to toss in a grand in upgrades or go for a whole new bike.
see a lot of Force's on here. has anyone picked up a Sanction? i hear the forks are 160mm/180mm lyriks. just wondering how the steep climbing is set at 160mm? or is this strickly/mainly DH FR use. was waiting for someone to stock this bike for several months...finally went out and got a 2007 specialized enduro expert...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sanction 1.0 Review and Upgrades

Well I have ridden my new GT Sanction 1.0. Stock in a size large it weighed in at 33.8 lbs.

With only two rides I can say that this bike is an awesome all around bike. I am coming off of a santa Cruz Nomad and this is very similar. I think that the GT climbs better and feels more balanced jumping than the Nomad. The Sanction is a little shorter in wheelbase and you can feel this on technical descents. The bike requires a little more rear weight bias than the Nomad. Other than that awesome ride!!

I have may some changes see the spec below.

Frame GT Sanction 1.0 large Frame

Fork- 2008 FOX TALAS 36 RC2

Rear Shock -2008 FOX DHX Air 5.0

Headset- Chris King

Stem - Syncros FL stem 80mm

Bar - Salas Pro Moto Carbon XC low rise

Grips - ODI Rogue Lock on

Shifters - SRAM XO

Front Deraileur - 2008 Shimano XT

Rear deraileur - SRAM XO

Disc Brakes - Avid Juicy 7 Carbon

Wheels - stock WTB/DT Swiss

Cassette -T 11-34

Cranks - Race Face Atlas Triple

Seat Post - Maverick Speedball remote

Seat - Selle Italia Flite TT

Pedals - Time ATAC XC

Tires - Specialized Resolution Pro 2.2 (measures a 2.5), Enduro Pro 2.2

Chain - SRAM

Tire Sealant - Stans

Weight- as pictured 32.1

Here is a pic of the build prior to the first ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
COMTBJUNKIE said:
Well I have ridden my new GT Sanction 1.0. Stock in a size large it weighed in at 33.8 lbs.

With only two rides I can say that this bike is an awesome all around bike. I am coming off of a santa Cruz Nomad and this is very similar. I think that the GT climbs better and feels more balanced jumping than the Nomad. The Sanction is a little shorter in wheelbase and you can feel this on technical descents. The bike requires a little more rear weight bias than the Nomad. Other than that awesome ride!!

I have may some changes see the spec below.

Frame GT Sanction 1.0 large Frame

Fork- 2008 FOX TALAS 36 RC2

Rear Shock -2008 FOX DHX Air 5.0

Headset- Chris King

Stem - Syncros FL stem 80mm

Bar - Salas Pro Moto Carbon XC low rise

Grips - ODI Rogue Lock on

Shifters - SRAM XO

Front Deraileur - 2008 Shimano XT

Rear deraileur - SRAM XO

Disc Brakes - Avid Juicy 7 Carbon

Wheels - stock WTB/DT Swiss

Cassette -T 11-34

Cranks - Race Face Atlas Triple

Seat Post - Maverick Speedball remote

Seat - Selle Italia Flite TT

Pedals - Time ATAC XC

Tires - Specialized Resolution Pro 2.2 (measures a 2.5), Enduro Pro 2.2

Chain - SRAM

Tire Sealant - Stans

Weight- as pictured 32.1

Here is a pic of the build prior to the first ride.
Like the changes to made listed here. wasn't crazy about the 160mm/180mm lyrik fork since i do enjoy a climb now and again and the lowest setting of 160mm seemed a bit much. i'm also using the TALAS 36 on my new ride...like it so far. although i actually swapped out my specialized tires for kendas (see you swapped the kendas for spesh) ... like that "stick-E" rubber ;) also see from your pic that you added the large chain ring. i went from 3 on my i-drive 5 to 2 on my spesh enduro and don't really miss it....plus my rings are 24/36 rather than 22/32 so i get a little extra crank out of them. i think i would have had to make similar changes that you did had i gotten the sanction which would have increased my total cost...was able to get the spesh enduro expert and quite a price break since it was an '07 model. only draw back is that fox removed the air valve from the boost chamber on the DHX 5A so you cant add or remove air from the piggy back...but i had them kick t up to 170psi for me, so that doesnt matter much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. The fork that came on this bike is the Rock Shox Lyric Two Step Air. The travel was 160 or 115mm. Not sure why GT lists this on their website at 180/160mm. Maybe someone will see this and fix it. I pretty much switched everything on this bike. A lot of the parts came off the Santa Cruz Nomad that I had. I even upgraded to a FOX DHX Air 5.0. I stil have the Lyric fork and the rear shock if anyone wants them. I went with the Specialized tires for the varying conditions here in Colorado. If you can find a trail free of snow you will be in mud right now. Soon it will be hardpack and rocks. The Spec tires seems to be really good all around tires and do not wear as fast a Kenda's. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments!!

1 - 20 of 348 Posts