Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm looking to upgrade my 08 giant trance x2. Brakes, Shock and Fork. I'm leaning on the avid elixir cr brakes can I run there 180mm rotor in the front? The shock i'm thinking of a fox rp23 rear but I don't know what "size" shock i should be ordering, and for a fork I would like to stick with a fox brand air. Can some one chime in and help me with my choices. I am keeping an open mind.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well, without knowing what and where you ride, it's difficult to make suggestions BUT I'll give my 2 bits anyways:

1) Brakes are pretty dependent on preference, so I'd hunt around to see what I like before I made a purchase. There's really not a horrible choice amongst the mainstream brands if they're set up properly. I like the Formula R1s but they're really pricey; Hayes Stroker Trails (I run the Stroker Carbons) feel good and they're really well priced; Shimano's SLX brakes are nice too.

The front rotor diameter is limited by your fork, not your frame. I run 185mm (7") on mine and it's great.

2) I wouldn't bother with a rear shock upgrade unless you absolutely hate the stock propedal tune. Personally, I'd buy a new wheelset with hubs that work with a 15mm or 20mm fork. Lots of affordable online options there -- you can get 1600g wheelsets through CRC (Hope hubs / Stan's rims) for about $500 or so.

3) Fork: consider a longer than stock fork with a travel adjust. I run an '09 Revelation U-Turn (110-140mm) and a 20mm axle and it's awesome. If you want to stick with Fox, they make a 140mm talas with a 15mm axle and that'd be an option too. Definitely get something that you can slam down for climbing unless you want the front end to wander.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Budget for brakes/fork/shock? Also riding style/terrain?

Also, re: shock, IIRC the TX uses a funny shock length which isn't available in the aftermarket selections......would need to double check that though. IMO, I would find out exactly what you don't like about the shock, put it in words and send it off to PUSH industries, apparently they can work magic on forks. That's where mine will be heading this winter (fork/shock) for servicing and some tweaks.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Good advice above.

I know you said Fox, but for a fork I'd get a 2010 Revelation Team. Look them up, do some research.

Definitely new Wheelset, and possibly new tire(s), before spending too much on brakes. You'll see a bigger performance gain on good wheels plus tires that suit your riding style over a new brake system (unless your current brakes suck).

With the $500 or so you have left you could send your current shock to PUSH Industries, and possibly still be able to find a good deal on a used brake set with the money remaining. Or at the very least you can swap your front rotor to a 7"/180mm rotor and give yourself a little more braking power where you need it most.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd go with a Revelation fork, either U-turn or one set at 140mm with a 20mm thru axle.

As for brakes, I like Shimano XT's. Reason why I like XT's is that they use mineral oil. Easier to deal with.

As for your shock, I wouldn't fuss with it. I sent a shock to PUSH which was a fine experience. However, I liked the way it felt BEFORE I sent it out. I did this on an 05 Trance, which has less travel. I currently have an 08 Trance X2 & like the stock shock just fine.

If & when it my shock needs a rebuild I might send it back to PUSH, but it will only be for the simple rebuild, not the more costly "upgrade," which for me turned out to be a "downgrade."

I agree with the other posts as to upgrading your wheelset. I like the Stan's idea. But there are plenty of good options out there.

I

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
OK, I'm going to play the voice of reason here......Why do you want to upgrade? Have you worn out or broken any of the parts you're looking to upgrade? Just plain don't like the parts? Or are looking for features they don't have?

Now not playing the $$ smart biker, my suggestion would be a new set of wheels, maybe something along the lines of a tubeless set like Stans Flows on Hope Pro2s. The Flows are nice and wide @ 28mm which'll improve the foot print of your tyres, most especially wider tyres in the 2.5"> range.

As to the shock, I would have liked a shock with lock-out when I had my Trance, but that was mostly on the road, pushing really big gears, but never really on the trail unless standing to sprint. maybe consider sneding the FloatR to PUSH for a custom tune. If you're looking def at a new shock, also take a look at the new offerings out by RS, they sure looked interesting to me when they launched them and def competative against the Fox stuff with some cool features.

As to the brakes, what's the issue with the stock Hayes Strokers? (not familiar with them at all) If it's not enough power, then maybe going to a 180/185mm rotor on the front will help this, or maybe different compound for the pads and/or a bleed on them.

chriscorv5 said:
Hello, I'm looking to upgrade my 08 giant trance x2. Brakes, Shock and Fork. I'm leaning on the avid elixir cr brakes can I run there 180mm rotor in the front? The shock i'm thinking of a fox rp23 rear but I don't know what "size" shock i should be ordering, and for a fork I would like to stick with a fox brand air. Can some one chime in and help me with my choices. I am keeping an open mind.

·
Scott is a tool.
883 Posts
I have the same bike, but with Aussie spec and i changed eveything.

Righto,

I'm an unashamed Rockshox user, so my recommendation is Revelation U-turn with a 20mm axle, super stuff, pretty light, you will notice a performance improvement immediately.

Wheels, i'm running the XT M775 wheelset, overall an ok wheelset. Bit heavy though and i've had the rear hub issues that plagued many sets. I would suggest a set of Stan's Flows on Hope 2's, with a 20mm front hub, but if you decide to stay Fox you can have them with 15mm up front. The hub is convertible to different axle sizes which is great!

Brakes, I have Elixir R's which are essentially CR's without pad adjust and a carbon lever, can't fault them really, but would seriously consider XT's, they're just solid and reliable.

In regards to the shock, i have the RP2 with switchable Pro Pedal. FWIW i never use Pro Pedal, and i have a friend that has the Float R on his TX with permanent Pro Pedal and it just doesn't feel as smooth. So i'd say either track down an RP2 from Fox or Giant in the right dimensions, or send yours Push and have the Pro Pedal removed or finally Push are going to be releasing Pushed Rockshox Monarchs for the TX.

This is what mine looks like now.

Wal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts