Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Johny Sokko!
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as we all love our Trance, I'm curious how many would love to have a true all around trailbike? It seems that a few other bikes have gotten the glory the past couple years (i.e. Motolite, 5 spot, Blur LT & Intense 5.5) as the one bike.

I own a Trance and Reign, I bottom the Trance often and the Reign is too heavy to climb all day (although it can, I think it just needs to be more nimble for an all day ride), but don't get me wrong it performs as it was designed to. Heck! Adam Craig wins Super D races on it!

My point is that making the bike just a little more diversified in travel will make the Trance the true ultimate one bike. I'm wondering why Giant made a special edition of the Reign (X). I'm sure it's stronger and now allows the piggy back shock, but it's only .75" longer in travel, not to mention they axed their 8" Faith. The Anthem is a race bike, but it can also be used as a light trailbike at 3.5” travel, so close to the Trance.

I would go out on a limb and say the Trance is their best selling Meastro bike, so why not offer a 5" version? They have proven in past two years that their Meastro technology is on top of the pile, a 5” version would be the ultimate compliment

I would like to hear the comments from all and would like to email Giant and give them a heads up (petition) what their die hard customers think about their favorite brand.

·
Registered
206 Posts
that would be perfect. I want a bike to do a little of everything. kinda like to old ac air with 4-5-6 inches of travel. 5 would be perfect.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Well I've never bottomed out the rear on the Trance (as far as I can tell - although I regularly use all the travel). However I'm finding it alot more versatile with 130mm travel up front. So yeah when I was after a new bike if the trance was 5" travel all round it would have been perfect as my one & only do it all type bike.
I think it would be a smart move if giant started making a 5" Trance which would leave room to move the anthem to 4" when duallies become more of a norm in xc racing.
A 6" travel reign would probably be too much for me.

·
Registered
797 Posts
just buy a Reign to begin with...

instead of trying to turn your Trances into Reigns. They end up weighing the same anyway, and you still only have 4" of rear travel. Which would you rather have, a 30lb Trance or a 31lb Reign (this assumes the same build on both bikes)? The difference in frame weight is only about a pound, and I have found no penalty for pedalling a Reign vs a Trance- again assuming the same build- for XC or heavy XC use (I do not use my Reign for DH/ FR). Now, a 26lb, 4" Anthem, with maybe a more relaxed head angle, now we're talking- that could "do it all.".

·
May contain nuts
2,444 Posts
dumper said:
instead of trying to turn your Trances into Reigns. They end up weighing the same anyway, and you still only have 4" of rear travel. Which would you rather have, a 30lb Trance or a 31lb Reign (this assumes the same build on both bikes)? The difference in frame weight is only about a pound, and I have found no penalty for pedalling a Reign vs a Trance- again assuming the same build- for XC or heavy XC use (I do not use my Reign for DH/ FR). Now, a 26lb, 4" Anthem, with maybe a more relaxed head angle, now we're talking- that could "do it all.".
Amen. A guy I ride with whose sole ride for the last few years has been various totally kitted Cannondale Scalpels, each weighing around 10kg, recently bought an 07 Reign 1 and says he may never ride the Scapel again, long epics included.

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would never trade my Reign for a Trance at this point but your right,at 5+" travel it would probably be there best seller.Even more so with the Reign up to 6.7"now.At 5.5" I would even consider it on the next round.

·
Registered
292 Posts
5" trance ok if original trance's geometry is maintained

Have both Trance & Reign, and for certain terrains the trance's suspension feels on par with Reign. When the going is real gnarly, the Reign is untouchable.

I Feel the Trance's suspension performs better for climbing, feels as if it tracks the ground better.

Could a 5" Trance maintain the same suspension action when climbing?

·
Registered
170 Posts
a 5 inch trance would be perfect for myself.

i have thought about replacing my trance frame with a iron horse mkiii mainly for the extra bit of travel. but then i read about all the problems theyve had with them over the years and decide not to hehe

the pace rc400 when it arrives over here in the UK does look like a strong contender though.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
No effect!

I don't think petitioning GIANT would have any effect within the next 2-3 years even if they listed and hadn't already had plans on doing such a bike. 5" Trance would prob make it a superb and truly AM type ride, but would it cut into the Reign's territory and maybe cause them to loose sales of bikes already being produced? These are the sorts of questions you need to ask yourself when dealing with such big companies.

Personally with the type of riding I do I am quite fine to have the Trance how it is and use a 100-130mm fork up front - personally only tried 115mm, but having a "wind down" 100-130mm would be very versatile I imagine. Maybe as I suspect I really don't have the cahones now that I'm older to do the sh1t I would when I was younger, but then again it's more fun to be riding than recovering right :D

·
Girt by sea.
463 Posts
I think I'd rather see Giant venture into the 29er world using the Trance as their frame platform. I'd buy one tomorrow.

Cheers,
Graeme

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I totally agree, a 29er Trance would be sweet :thumbsup:
Kalgrm said:
I think I'd rather see Giant venture into the 29er world using the Trance as their frame platform. I'd buy one tomorrow.

Cheers,
Graeme

·
Johny Sokko!
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do agree that 4.2" travel is ok, but the word is ok. The idea of 5" Trance fills more of a need than just an idea of 5 inches and I better keep up with the Jones's (me too factor). Most current high end bike companies have or just have gone to 5" for the flagship trailbike. People are riding their bikes differently now than they did 10years ago, all do to technology and growing enthusiasm, hence the need for longer travel. Even Trek redesigned their EX line to 5". If you look closely I think Giant is one of the bike co. that doesn't have a 5" trailbike and 29er.

I have been riding a 2005 model with adjustable 100mm ~ 130mm fork and it does work great and more confident on the descents.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Yeah, but when you have a superior suspension design that "feels" like it is 5" why worry. The Fuel lineup is only a single pivot design, relying soely on modern day shocks to make it not bob all to hell. get a Trance and a fuel and pout on an old fashioned, non Pro Pedal FloatR and see how that fuel bobs like a ccork in the water - experiment I plan on carrying out in the very near future.

Stoner said:
....... Even Trek redesigned their EX line to 5". If you look closely I think Giant is one of the bike co. that doesn't have a 5" trailbike and 29er.

I have been riding a 2005 model with adjustable 100mm ~ 130mm fork and it does work great and more confident on the descents.

·
Johny Sokko!
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lynx,

My last last reply was more information on the need of a 5" travel bike. The Trek example was not an indication that their 5" travel bike was better than the Meastro, it was more of a cheap shot at Trek. The Trek Fuel line has been irrelavant in the bike game and they even went to a 5" stroke.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.