Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im about to make the move to a FS MTB ( finally ! ) and have found myself wondering, what would the difference be between the 208 and 09 versions. The 09 has gone to a set up more like the Stumpjumber , while the 08 has more of a new Epic style. Has anyone ridden these and could tell me what the differences are in the real world ? Specs look quite similar and being a newbie to this side Im just looking for a bit of direction.
Thanks !

·
Registered
39 Posts
Go 09

I got the 09 FSR XC Comp for Christmas and love IT... it also has greater travel at 120mm (more like the stump for less $) No comparison to ride I can offer... but the trickle down of travel and components makes the 2009 a better deal (my opinion only and others may disagree:)

·
Registered
216 Posts
See if you can find yourself an '08 stumpjumper fsr comp. I picked one up in Sept '08 for $1560 + tax. I'm guessing that is probably about what you will have to pay for the '09 FSR XC Comp. You'll be much happier in the long run with the stumpy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the input - Ill do some diggin and check on the Stupmy - Seems like when last my guy looked, neither they nor Specilalzed had my size in a strumy on clsoeout.If I could find one at what you paid for it, Im totally there ! --
Thanks again !

·
Registered
216 Posts
Not as good of a price as what I got but only $250 more than what an '09 FSR XC Comp would cost you. Looks like they still have all four sizes and if you live outside of CA probably no sales tax. Though I'm sure if you keep looking you can still find an '08 stumpy fsr comp for an even better price. What you get for the added $250 is probably still worth getting the stumpy.

http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?LibId=38168

·
Registered
47 Posts
You don't want to regret not getting a stumpy if you can afford one. I just picked up an 09' FSR comp for 2,050 + tax. It is more money than the FSR xc, but its worth it. The components are better, the frame is better, the ride is better. I tried them both out on some pretty technical single track and I could tell a difference. However, the FSR xc was alot of fun to ride. I noticed the shifting was much better on the stumpy, but the FSR xc was not bad. The 09' FSR xc has the old stumpy frame with lower quality components. Their not bad, just lower quality. Really its a win, win no matter what you decide.

If you decide to buy a FSR xc, go for the 09' over the 08'. You get a little bit more for the money. Again, its a win, win situation. Your going to love any of those bikes. Congrats!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Here is a good review on the 09 FSRxc. At least for the suspension design change between model years, they mention two improvements, "The new rocker layout keeps the shock clean and now there's enough seat drop for steep descents. "

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was up in Asheville, NC last week and Liberty Bikes had 3 '08 Stupmpy FSR Expert Testbikes for sale, $2400 each, and they lloked brand new. Liberty's demo rules are "stay in the parking lot", so they've never been abused. For the extra $$ you get the AFR w/Brain rear shock, and the F120RLS Fox fork w/Avid Ultimate 7 brakes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.