Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
HMFIC
370 Posts
I was shopping for an '08 F100RLC for a project and I think that Cambria price is similar to or better than any other pricing I could find out there. The free headset is a bonus, although in my case I already had a headset. If you can get that package with free shipping, that price is pretty hard to beat from what I could see on that particular fork model. Prices may come down a little more on the '08s as Fox is now shipping the 2009 forks.

Ultimately, I came across the $449 deal on the Fox 32 TALAS RLC posted elsewhere in this forum and jumped on it. It's for my wife's bike, so while I wasn't originally in the market for an adjustable-travel fork like the TALAS - it's $100 cheaper and the only penalty vs. the F100RLC is a teeny bit of weight. She'll dig the adjustable travel once I show her how to use it, so I think it should work out great. That fork is an alternative you might want to consider.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think that Colorado Cyclist ships to Canada - can't find it on their shipping rates website. Otherwise, the TALAS would be a great deal. Does it have the lockout blowout, and everything the F100 RLC has?

·
HMFIC
370 Posts
wushudrew said:
I don't think that Colorado Cyclist ships to Canada - can't find it on their shipping rates website. Otherwise, the TALAS would be a great deal. Does it have the lockout blowout, and everything the F100 RLC has?
Looks like it. Spec pages are on the Fox website for the '08 models here, if you want to read up on it. I think the TALAS has all the features of the F100RLC, with the adjustable travel 100/120/140 at the cost of some extra weight. I figure for $449, if we decide the extra weight's just not worth it or she doesn't like the fork, I should be able to eBay it for darn near what I've got into it.

I'd give Colorado Cyclist a call on the shipping-to-Canada thing, they were super helpful on the phone and were able to quote me a shipping number within seconds when I called. Can't hurt to ask!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im not too sure my bike would like the TALAS, reason being that my ride was designed for 100mm travel (04 specialized stumpjumper fsr). i know i could just leave it on 100mm and be done with it, but would the 120-140mm travel options severely affect the handling of my bike? itd mess around with the angles, im sure, make the handling more slack?

i called colorado cyclist and was told the shipping cost would be $25-30. im liking the deal, depending on whether the extra travel would be beneficial to me or not.

·
HMFIC
370 Posts
I'm no big-travel guru, so others can probably better comment. That said, I think the whole point of an adjustable travel bike is that you can add the extra travel for the longer/rougher downhills (where you'd benefit from a slacked-out HTA) and twist the knob back to the regular 100mm setting for climbs and normal riding. No question it will change your geometry vs. stock spec when you raise the front, but that's sorta the whole point, I think...

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
SBK is right, but... Were it me, I'd want to start with a bike that was nominally designed for 120mm. That way, I'd be "centered", and the TALAS would let me go 20mm in either direction: +20mm for downhills, and -20mm for climbs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So it seems that from a geometry and warranty issue, I'd be better off going with the F100 RLC. The extra travel is good, but I think the 40mm on the TALAS isn't that necessary. Also, if my frame decides to explode, I dont think specialized will replace it if I have the TALAS.

·
Registered
121 Posts
An F100 RLC and a TALAS RLC set at 100mm are the same geometry wise. The Talas will have slightly more weight, and a different feel but the geometry isn't changed. They have the same offset and travel. So that won't affect your warranty (or shouldn't) And didn't the high end Stumpy' s come with a Talas? I can't remember. I agree you might not need it but at $100 cheaper to have more options is pretty nice. Also are you going to keep that frame for a while? If not, and a year from now you want to move up to a 5" travel bike you are still set with a sweet fork... Or even a 6" bike...
Good luck with the decision!! Both are great forks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.