Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to get a closeout Flux frame and new fork (thanks Chad and Dave!) and build up a bike for endurance racing and the occasional ride on the few XC type trails near by. Aside from the fork and stem the parts were all lying around. Clearly the crank is obviously a candidate for replacement but the 34 tooth middle ring works ok. Fork feels great and the maxle light works for my fat ar$e. I had a 29er Reba that was a wet noodle in comparison. I have the fork set at 120mm to experiment. I haven't weighed the bike yet but based on some build weights posted here recently I an certain it is lighter than my Pinarello road bike with Zipp 404s. I will likely take out one more spacer and cut the steerer at the weekend. I am keeping the wheels too. Although heavy, one flat in four years of riding 819s has me sold. I have tried DT Swiss and Stans rim strips on other rims and hated the results. Pics and build spec below.

Frame:: 2008 Turner Flux, Large, Candy Blue
Rear Shock :: Fox RP23
Fork :: 2009 RockShox Reba Team w/pop lock
Brakes :: Avid Juicy 7s w/Dangerboy Levers & 160mm Rotors
Cassette :: Shimano XT 11-34
Chain :: Sram 990
Crankset :: Shimano Hone 22 / 34
Derailleur (Front) :: Shimano XT
Derailleur (Rear) :: Sram X.9 medium cage
Grips :: Lizard Skinz Lock-On
Handlebar :: Truvativ Team Carbon O/S
Headset :: Cane Creek Solos
Pedals :: Xpedo (300 gram don't remember the model)
Seat Binder :: Turner
Saddle :: WTB Rocket V Ti
Seatpost :: Thomson
Shifters :: Sram X.9 Triggers
Stem :: Ritchey Axis WCS 90mm O/S
Hubs :: Hope Pro II
Rims :: Mavic 819
Tires :: Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.2s Front & Rear

·
Moosehead
1,908 Posts
very nice, interested to see how you like the 120mm setting. if the reba drops down easy to 100, definitely check it out for fun factor espec compared to your spot and niner. are those slick dangerboys fit specifically to the juicy's or are they more of a universal fit?

enjoy, even clyde's get a kick out of a speeder, eh? the bigger you are, the faster it feels.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the dangerboys 2-3 years ago and they are specifically for avid brakes..at the time you could get them for most brands but I think they are out of business now. Straitline makes similar ones. The Reba is easily changeable to 100mm via internal spacers. I'll definitely do change the travel at some point.

·
Mt Wilson Motoboy
410 Posts
Very nice but...

... I still don't see a reason to go there yet. The 4" Burner config is still very functional!

OK! I'm really green with envy! Nice ride.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
That's definitely a burly build for a Flux but a great start nonetheless. I love the looks of the new Reba! I am willing to bet that as soon as Spring rolls around you'll manage to find some magic deal on a light wheelset ....

How do those Racing Ralphs work for you? My experience with Schwalbe tires has been less than stellar for our terrain and conditions.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The racing Ralphs are good in the dry and have massive volume - wider than 2.35 high rollers and 2.4 mtn kings (which are useless IMHO) but they aren't so good in the wet or mud. High rollers are my favourite UST tire but for the Flux I'll probably try ignitors or advavantages. I love mavic UST rims but I don't like their hubs- I don't think they make aftermarket UST rims lighter than 819s?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
wilks said:
The racing Ralphs are good in the dry and have massive volume - wider than 2.35 high rollers and 2.4 mtn kings (which are useless IMHO) but they aren't so good in the wet or mud. High rollers are my favourite UST tire but for the Flux I'll probably try ignitors or advavantages. I love mavic UST rims but I don't like their hubs- I don't think they make aftermarket UST rims lighter than 819s?
That's exactly my experience with every Schwalbe tire other than the Big Betty. On a recent trip to Utah I used Big Betty in the front and Fat Albert in the rear. Came back home and went riding on that same setup on some very rocky trails and the rear tire was slipping and sliding all over the place. Put the 2.35 HR back on and the rear calmed down and everything was good again. I have kept the BB up front and have ridden at Blue Mountain with that setup with very good results.

On the Flux I have been using DT 4.1d rims laced to DT 240s hubs with Stan's yellow tape for the past 1.5 years. I have been running Crossmark and Ignitor UST tires with a little bit of sealant and I don't remember the last time I flatted. Very reliable and reasonably light setup.

My wife runs Stan's Olympic rims on DT 240s with yellow tape and Crossmark regular (non-UST) tires on her XC bike with zero problems, but she weighs 125lbs.

We'll have to ride together some time! I have friends in NJ I ride regularly with and we usually meet up somewhere in the Hudson valley. I would love a good tour of Ringwood, every time I have ridden there I have been mostly on double track and never found the goods.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
6thElement said:
The new trail at Ringwood is great, mucho props to Art for his hard work (+ all the other trail workers).
Yep - everyone loves the new trail ! as I am sure you know 6th you can do a massive ride starting in pompton lakes at the soccer field - cannonball up to skyline and then yellow and blue into ringwood proper - tool around there on the single track (fresh cut / race course etc.) and go back to skyline and then the soccer field via yellow and cannonball - I think NYBike would see more than enough single track on a route like that! I prefer riding from TOS so you never need to ride fire roads for more than a few yards.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.