Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
A plethora of pinatas
1,260 Posts
Anthony said:
2008 Absolute Bikes St Marys Food Bank Old Fashioned MTB Race is scheduled for August 23rd 2008.

See here for details and to sign up: http://absolutebikes.net/mtn_fest/

Fun course, good cause, great trophies (if I do say so myself).
I concur, Anthony! Awesome event and trophies! My son has 3 of them and they are his favorites! See you in August!

·
"Yabut"
838 Posts
AKA Monkeybutt said:
Hmm…Never raced before. Sounds kind of fun. Do you sign up for sport if you have never raced before?

Maybe team bad betty and some rideAZ riders would be interested in doing one for old times sake?
Jeff, I think you would be labled a "sandbagger" in the beginner class.
Sure, I might be talked into racing this one. It is Flag, afterall. You know it's going to be a good course.

·
3,049 Posts
MyBike'sBroken said:
No kidding.

I was all set to rock this fixed last year when I broke my wrist, and now I'll miss it this year due to moving. Alas.

It's a fun course. Singlespeeders want a nice tall gear for this one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Marty-

Thanks for the compliments!

AKA Monkeybutt-

This is a non-sanctioned event, all for fun. I'd race whatever category you conscience will allow. Two laps is a solid ride (for sport), the beginner category (1 lap) does draw some complete beginners since it is a "fun" race. If you come in way ahead in your chosen category, we'll just heckle you.

Anthony

·
In the rear with the beer
1,314 Posts
AKA Monkeybutt said:
Hmm…Never raced before. Sounds kind of fun. Do you sign up for sport if you have never raced before?

?
I did this in the sport class last year and literally got last place (except for one dnf...which was my buddy). I'm thinking i'm going back where i belong this year in the beginner group......

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've done this the past two years and it's been a blast. First year I rode Sport (two laps, 10-miles each) and finished halfway in the pack. Last year rode single-speed (combined with the experts, 3 10-mile laps) and that 3rd lap did me in. Bonked hard and placed last, 5-minutes before they were going to call the race. Got in just before the sky opened up, too.

Course is a LOT of fun... pretty rocky in places but the long, winding downhill back to the start/finish point is a blast.

I'm WAY out of shape and not sure I can hack the SS again this year (especially with the rigid fork on it now) so if I do it, I'll probably ride my full-squish and do the Sport.

Two years ago, between 1st and 2nd laps...

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,179 Posts
G-Cracker said:
I've done this the past two years and it's been a blast. First year I rode Sport (two laps, 10-miles each) and finished halfway in the pack. Last year rode single-speed (combined with the experts, 3 10-mile laps) and that 3rd lap did me in. Bonked hard and placed last, 5-minutes before they were going to call the race. Got in just before the sky opened up, too.

Course is a LOT of fun... pretty rocky in places but the long, winding downhill back to the start/finish point is a blast.

I'm WAY out of shape and not sure I can hack the SS again this year (especially with the rigid fork on it now) so if I do it, I'll probably ride my full-squish and do the Sport.

Two years ago, between 1st and 2nd laps...
Is that pinkie all healed up from your Spring Fling accident?

·
Registered
577 Posts
DurtGurl said:
Is that pinkie all healed up from your Spring Fling accident?
:thumbsup: Doing good, thanks! I can make a full fist now and have almost all strength back, but it still won't straighten completely. Not sure if it ever will. But considering the Dr. said it was one of the worst finger breaks he had seen, I'm happy.

Due to the slow healing and one conflicting even after another, I've been off the bike WAY too long, hence me NOT riding the SS for this race. LOL

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,179 Posts
MyBike'sBroken said:
Sure, I might be talked into racing this one. It is Flag, afterall. You know it's going to be a good course.
Is this right after Leadville? You might be a hurtin pup...

This might bring me out of my racing retirement! I was looking thru the race rules and the course map and got that old tingly feeling of excitement for racing. I said to myself, "well, if it's under $30 then maybe I'd consider entering this fun event". Waddya know, it's only $30!!! Six weeks to "train" should be plenty of time to gear up for those 3 laps. I've been riding for so long that of course I have to race expert. Afterall, I've got to give all the other 40+ ladies someone to beat.

And Jeff... you better register in Sport at a minimum! Go expert and get your money's worth with 30 miles - a buck a mile!

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,179 Posts
G-Cracker said:
:thumbsup: Doing good, thanks! I can make a full fist now and have almost all strength back, but it still won't straighten completely. Not sure if it ever will. But considering the Dr. said it was one of the worst finger breaks he had seen, I'm happy.

Due to the slow healing and one conflicting even after another, I've been off the bike WAY too long, hence me NOT riding the SS for this race. LOL
Glad to hear the healing is finally taking hold and you are back to biking. My pinkie hurt a full year after I broke it in April 2007. Shoot, it still hurts at times.

·
In the rear with the beer
1,314 Posts
I would like to note for those of us here who get passed a lot during races, at the race last year, the folks passing me were incredibly nice, at least in comparison to some of the passers in the mbaa races and others. I do my best to stay out of the way of the true races, but everyone on the course for this one was great. I had a flat too and pretty much everyone who passed by asked if i needed any help. Great vibe overall.

·
Ridin' Dirty
460 Posts
Only 5 weeks away!
I'll be there in Sport.
Anybody know of some good camping with a pop-up trailer around these parts?
Thanks!!

·
3,049 Posts
GueroAZ said:
For those singlespeeders what gear did you run?
When I prerode last summer I did two laps, the second in a little over 50 minutes. I was able to clean almost everything on a 38:18 (29er).

If I were going to race this year, I'd go up a bit from my normal 30:18.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.