Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008/2009 Rockhopper w/out disk brakes. I've been getting more and more into some single-track downhill action lately and want to do some upgrades. My v-brakes just aren't cutting it anymore, especially when wet...which in the NW is almost every day. I went to my local bike shop and asked about upgrading to disk brakes and he more or less told me I'm better off just buying a new Rockhopper comp. since parts get to be pretty expensive. But I don't want to upgrade to a comp. and be stuck with the same crappy stock wheels (my back wheel has a decent wobble to it). Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't i be better off spending money on quality wheels and new brakes since the frame (M4) is the same on both bikes? This way i'd basically have a Rockhopper comp. with better wheels and (hopefully) hydraulic disk brakes instead of mechanical.

Soooo, after a bit of creeping around this forum I think I've found maybe a good kit??? The link is below. I'm trying to stay on a decent budget without going too cheap. I just want to make sure i get the right wheelset with hugs that will accept a disk kit. From there, i'll start looking for an Avid hydraulic kit. Unless somebody can give me reason to save the money and get mechanical disk.

http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/mountain/downhill-freeride/sun-mtx-white-disc-custom/prod_119.html

·
Class Clown
3,643 Posts
Sounds like you know what you want to do. If I have a solid frame I like I would rather just upgrade it. That way you get the exact parts you want.

As for the wheels I can't speak on those ones personally, but they seem extreme for a rockhopper. Keep in mind you can go down some hills, but the hopper isn't a downhill bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.