Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody own the overseas alloy ASR and also own/owned an older alloy ASR?

Yeti says on their website the frame tubes are bigger and stiffer. Can you feel the difference? Are they noticeably bigger visually?

They say the seattube has been bumped to 31.9mm. What does that mean? In the specs it says 30.9 mm seatpost diameter. And a seat collar of 35mm. Is this just a misprint?

I am assuming these specs apply to 2008 and 2009, that is nothing has changed in the 2009 models, other than the price?

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
6%

I remember hearing 6% stiffer when the bike first came out.

Different cable routing (side instead of bottom)
Bigger tubes
Bigger seatpost
Larger front der clamp.
slightly slacker geo.

The weights I have seen have been coming in just a fuzz heavier (.05 lbs)

I snagged one of the last Golden bikes and have no intention of "upgrading". I love the '07 vintage bike. It just fits me like a glove.

·
Registered
361 Posts
for what it's worth

mtbdcd said:
Anybody own the overseas alloy ASR and also own/owned an older alloy ASR?

Yeti says on their website the frame tubes are bigger and stiffer. Can you feel the difference? Are they noticeably bigger visually?

They say the seattube has been bumped to 31.9mm. What does that mean? In the specs it says 30.9 mm seatpost diameter. And a seat collar of 35mm. Is this just a misprint?

I am assuming these specs apply to 2008 and 2009, that is nothing has changed in the 2009 models, other than the price?
I just picked up my new '08 ASR - Alloy (Medium). Race build with the following changes: flat Reynolds EC-70 Bar with ODI lock grips and Cane Creek Ends, King Hubs w/ DT XR4.2D wheels (Stans and the stock Maxxis tires) XTR Pedals, and King Cage.

25.3 lbs ready to ride.Was thinking it would come in under 25 - guess that's the price of liking bar ends!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"From" 31.9 on the seattube makes sense.

Used2B what size do you ride? How tall are you? I am a touch over 6' and ride a medium but the short headtube requires more spacers than i like since i use a low rise handlebar.

Also, you had a Carbon for awhile, but sold it?

Thanks for the replies.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Md.

mtbdcd said:
"From" 31.9 on the seattube makes sense.

Used2B what size do you ride? How tall are you? I am a touch over 6' and ride a medium but the short headtube requires more spacers than i like since i use a low rise handlebar.

Also, you had a Carbon for awhile, but sold it?

Thanks for the replies.
I ride a Medium and I'm somewhere between 5'8 and 5'9. Anyone shorter than me has been picking Small's. Most folks I know that are 6'1 are bumping up to the Large frames. I'm unique in that I like a longer frame with a flat stem and few/no spacers. I run a Syntace low rise with a 1cm spacer, my stem flipped down, and a 100mm stem.

I did sell my Carbon when a small financial crisis appeared. Again, I'm unique, but I like the Alloy version more for a do-it-all bike. I could get a carbon for next season, but I actually prefer my alloy bike. Maybe after riding them for 4 years I'm just used to them? The carbon was great for XC racing. unbeatable in my mind. For the trail bike, endurance racer, and XC racer combo I like the forgiveness in the alloy frame (you can call it flex but for me it smooths things out and flows with the trail a bit like steel) and the durability. My ASR does everything and goes everywhere... If I was any faster on the ASR-C it wasn't enough to notice.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trying a size large is what prompted the looking at the new alloy frame. I am a touch less than 6' 1" more line 6' .5" and have long legs, shorter torso. So the med's top tube is good for me, use a 110mm stem.
If i went to the large would probably have to drop to a 90mm stem. I am like you, on my previous Kona King Supreme, had a 100mm stem, turned down with flat handlebars. But Kona puts a real long headtube on their bikes. Curious if the handling will feel a lot more sluggish on the large.

I do notice the front(top tube) flex on the alloy ASR more than any other bike i have owned. But only on payment or hardpack corners. Never off road. As far as stiffness at the bb, the asr alloy seems pretty good to me. In fact the ASR is probably the most responsive FS bike i have owned when it comes to accelerating. Wish the engine had some more power.:) And as you mention very comfortable bike.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Sluggish

mtbdcd said:
Trying a size large is what prompted the looking at the new alloy frame. I am a touch less than 6' 1" more line 6' .5" and have long legs, shorter torso. So the med's top tube is good for me, use a 110mm stem.
If i went to the large would probably have to drop to a 90mm stem. I am like you, on my previous Kona King Supreme, had a 100mm stem, turned down with flat handlebars. But Kona puts a real long headtube on their bikes. Curious if the handling will feel a lot more sluggish on the large.

I do notice the front(top tube) flex on the alloy ASR more than any other bike i have owned. But only on payment or hardpack corners. Never off road. As far as stiffness at the bb, the asr alloy seems pretty good to me. In fact the ASR is probably the most responsive FS bike i have owned when it comes to accelerating. Wish the engine had some more power.:) And as you mention very comfortable bike.
I've hopped between the small and the medium. For me it wasn't that the Md felt more sluggish, it just felt a bit more stable and less twitchy.

The TT flex is hard to diagnose for me. I've always run a light fork and very light wheels, so any flex I feel is usually up there. As you say, It's noticable on pavement or when I really stand and hammer big wattage, but for normal riding it's indecernable. On the trail, I feel like the carbon tracked like and arrow, and just went stright over everything wheras the Alloy is more like a snake and flows with the trail. I like the way it flows!

I agree 100% about the acceleration. i have never been on a FS bike that will accelerate like the ASR. When I put the hammer down it jumps. That's why I love it so much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.