Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, this is probably a silly question, but alas, i am a newbie to the sport/culture. can anyone tell me if the 07 xtr rotors would work with shimano saint calipers? i got a set of saints as a gift (minus rotors), and found a really great bargin on a pair of 07 xtr rotors. thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
895 Posts
Black Japanther said:
hey guys, this is probably a silly question, but alas, i am a newbie to the sport/culture. can anyone tell me if the 07 xtr rotors would work with shimano saint calipers? i got a set of saints as a gift (minus rotors), and found a really great bargin on a pair of 07 xtr rotors. thanks in advance.
The xtr comes in two different diameter rotors = 160mm and 180mm
Make sure you get the correct Siant caliper adaptor (160mm) and you'll be fine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,199 Posts
Black Japanther said:
found a really great bargin on a pair of 07 xtr rotors. thanks in advance.
Are you sure that they are 07 XTR rotors? 2007 XTR has ony just become available. Not that it matters. If they are 06 they are just as good. This is an 07 rotor.

Ronnie.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,199 Posts
Black Japanther said:
wait a sec... the shimano component spec page reads: "center lock yes" for their 07 XTR rotors, but "center lock yes (larger type)" for their saint hubs! what gives?? does this mean the xtr rotors are too small for the sait hubs?? can anyone clear this up for me?
Your original question was a bit confusing. You did not mention using Saint hubs and I'm still not sure if that is what you mean. If you are going to use a 160mm. rotor you can use it with just about any caliper, assuming a compatible rotor and hub combination. The Saint center lock rotors have a larger spline than the other Shimano groups (XTR/XT etc.) and therefore you would need to use Saint hubs.

Ronnie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Black Japanther said:
wait a sec... the shimano component spec page reads: "center lock yes" for their 07 XTR rotors, but "center lock yes (larger type)" for their saint hubs! what gives?? does this mean the xtr rotors are too small for the sait hubs?? can anyone clear this up for me?

http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycle/products/category.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302050358&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181674&bmUID=1166947321008
Yup the Saint hubs centerlocks are different than the XTR centerlocks. I believe it's to allow more room for 20mm thru-axles for the downhill folks, not to mention perhaps a bit more distribution of braking force...

GL,
-don
 

·
Hardtail Freak
Joined
·
196 Posts
That is true, I can confirm this, I was buiding up my bike last year and thought I could use Hone brakes on Saint hubs, but it doesn't work. So I had to return my Hone brakes and go full Saint setup. Saint centerlock rotors can only be used with corresponding Saint centerlock hubs, or DT Swiss 440 freeride hubs with the Oversized Saint centerlock interface, which is what I have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
you can use Hone brakes with Siant hubs. the only thing that is propietory to the hub is the rotor, not the entire brake. Although the saint brake is far superior and you will enjoy that a lot more.
 

·
Hardtail Freak
Joined
·
196 Posts
Dover said:
you can use Hone brakes with Siant hubs. the only thing that is propietory to the hub is the rotor, not the entire brake. Although the saint brake is far superior and you will enjoy that a lot more.
You can only use Hone brakes with Saint hubs if you use a Saint rotor on the Saint hub. The centerlock interface is much larger on the Saint rotors and hubs, thus not compatible with the Hone rotors and hubs, You can however use a Hone caliper on a Saint rotor yes.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top