Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Green Mojo
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up IBIS Mojo bike with XTR Wheelset. I had planned and assumed I would go with XTR brakes as well, but I am reading all good things about the new Ultimates from Juicy. Anybody have any experience with the two? Weight and performance data? What is involved with this change?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Both are very new.. so I doubt most riders would be able to provide input on both, however I would be interested too if somebody has tried both... maybe guys from bike shops... Will, have you tried these yet?

The reports I have read on both individually, seem to support both are great brakesets...

·
Registered
83 Posts
2007 XTR disc brakes

I am running the 07' XTR's on my Mojo with the 180mm rotor on the front, 160mm rear. It's a good combo, you won't be disappointed if you go with the XTR's.

·
Green Mojo
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know the XTR brake system is good, I was just wondering where I might be able to find some comparison type information - performance comparison, actual weight differences, etc.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
bikerneil said:
I know the XTR brake system is good, I was just wondering where I might be able to find some comparison type information - performance comparison, actual weight differences, etc.

Thanks.
If you just want the numbers and so.. here is a scan from german Mountain Bike magazine.
from top to bottom
Price
weight (front/back)
Modulation
Performance
Stiffness

I hope this helps,
Cris

Attachments

·
Green Mojo
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, sure wish I could read German!!!!! Looking at numbers only it looks like Ultimate is better system (significantly better).

I am still hoping somebody might have some personal experience with both.

Thanks for posting this article. What was date of issue?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
bikerneil said:
Thanks, sure wish I could read German!!!!! Looking at numbers only it looks like Ultimate is better system (significantly better).

I am still hoping somebody might have some personal experience with both.

Thanks for posting this article. What was date of issue?
No prob... the edition is from Jan 07 ( I received it mid december)

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
ah one more thing... the xtr organic pads (stock) make the brakes very quiet, but give up some power... if you use the metal/sintered pads, I would expect the ratings would be very similar...

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
pecan said:
Actually the Juicy Ultimate uses an organic pad too
I know, but the organic compound avid uses is much better... that's the only problem I've had with shimano brakes, that its organic pads are not powerful enough... of course aftermarket pads are available for both too... such as Galfer, KoolStop, etc

·
Green Mojo
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am leaning towards the AVID Juicy Ultimates, so one final question: If I have XTR wheels, what is involved with setting up for AVID Juicy Ultimates? I understand there are some compatibilty issues. What changes are required to run Avid brakes on otherwise XTR bike?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
bikerneil said:
I am leaning towards the AVID Juicy Ultimates, so one final question: If I have XTR wheels, what is involved with setting up for AVID Juicy Ultimates? I understand there are some compatibilty issues. What changes are required to run Avid brakes on otherwise XTR bike?

Thanks again.
You can always get the DT Swiss adapters for your CL wheels so you can run any 6 bolt caliper. The Shimano CL and DT-Swiss CL adapters are actually easier to use (if you have a casette removal tool) than the regular 6 bolt Torx bolt mounting system.
Back to the original question, I have the 07 XTR on 03 XTR wheels and I love them. The only beef I have so far is that when riding in cold weather (as in -5 to 10 degrees Fahrenheit) the brakes lose a bit of power at the beginning of the ride..

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
As Flip said, you can use a centerlock to IS adapter, Problem Solvers, DT and Magura make one, and Shimano just released one (just saw it on a German magazine)

Here's what the DT looks like

·
www.evocycles.ca
33 Posts
Does anyone know how they compare in terms of brake rub and adjustments to avoid brake rub? I am getting an 07 Giant Anthem Advanced which comes with the XTR's but I have had nothing but problems in the past with hydraulics (Only used Hayes HFX-9 so far). I have been running Avid BB7's on my XC race bikes for about 4 years without any issues (brake rub is easily remedied by using the red dials to adjust disc clearance on the trail).

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
tsmit said:
Does anyone know how they compare in terms of brake rub and adjustments to avoid brake rub? I am getting an 07 Giant Anthem Advanced which comes with the XTR's but I have had nothing but problems in the past with hydraulics (Only used Hayes HFX-9 so far). I have been running Avid BB7's on my XC race bikes for about 4 years without any issues (brake rub is easily remedied by using the red dials to adjust disc clearance on the trail).
It's all in the setup... both would be just "as prone" to rubbing.... I have run XTs for 2 and a half years and my brakes only start rubbing if the rotor warps a bit (not the caliper's fault).

EDIT: The Ultimates would be easier to adjust if the XTRs are IS calipers..but again..it is a setup issue.... the first year 960 brakes did have stuck piston problems, but I expect the 970 to overcome these..

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
I'll respond to a number of things.

First, XTR vs. Ultimates: I rode both at Interbike and they are both excellent brakes. The XTRs were very strait forward and pretty comfortable, and look very durable as well. The Avids are incredibly adjustable and even more comfortable IMHO, but the carbon levers are vulnerable in a crash. I ended up going with the Avids because they are incredibly easy to set up (same CPS system as their mechanicals) and despite it's toxicity and the need for extra care in installation and bleed not to contaminate the fluid, DOT fluid is less prone to expansion and heat-fade than mineral oil. Also, Avid levers just feel awesome to me.

Using Ultimates with centerlock hubs: I have m-965 hubs and run centerlock rotors as well. I ended up just clipping the little tab off the inner (right) brake pad with a side-cutter so it would clear the centerlock carrier.

Concerning setup, the Avid CPS system could be set up correctly by a trained monkey. It's super easy and fast to adjust, IS or Post mount; doesn't matter. Not that the Shimano brakes are hard to set up, but the Avid system is so sweet, from a technical standpoint.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I will add my 2c and compare Ultimates to the old XTR 960s.

I have had the Ultimates for only a few rides. So far they work well. In use they feel similar to the old XTRs. The old XTR calipers are beautiful, but not as easy to setup as they require shimming and I often had some rubbing from time to time. The XTRs were easy to bleed, but I was never sure if I had a good bleed. With a little practice I feel I can get a better bleed with the Avids. To me the Avids are ugly especially with the CPS stuff, but they are super easy to setup and no rubbing for me. Function over form.

Avids come with clear instructions in a nice little book. Shimanos have the stupid fold out in 10 languages. This alone is almost enough to go Avid for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.