Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turner website is updated for 2007. Here is how the Sultan is sized up....

Turner Sultan XC/AM

The Sultan is a full-suspension XC frame for riders who love the speed, plushness, and flow provided by 29-inch wheels. Two big 29-inch wheels spinning down the trail... For some guys it's the ultimate feeling in off-road riding. We took a conservative approach in designing the 2007 Turner Sultan 29'er. The result is an awesome trail bike that exploits the larger wheel's advantages (faster speed, bigger tire contact patch, and greater gyroscopic stability) without compromising the performance characteristics that every Turner frame is famous for. The Sultan's geometry is designed to work with, not against, 29-inch wheels to achieve neutral handling, and can be easily set up with a variety of 3 to 5 inch travel forks. The Sultan features a big wheel variant of our famed Turner rocker suspension to deliver the same plushness and pedaling efficiency as our 26-inch suspension frames.

MSRP $1,895

Lookin' pretty sweet!

http://www.turnerbikes.com/2007/sultan.html

Sorry if this is a repost... still sweet!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Damn the geometry of those bikes is huge :eek: Looking at the specs and compared to my Trance I'd have to ride a Large instead of XL like I do now :eek: Well maybe I'd fit an XL, but with a 90 stem instead of 120 like I ride now.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
LyNx said:
Damn the geometry of those bikes is huge :eek: Looking at the specs and compared to my Trance I'd have to ride a Large instead of XL like I do now :eek: Well maybe I'd fit an XL, but with a 90 stem instead of 120 like I ride now.
..Dave designed the Sultan to be run with a shortish stem. I have run a size large Turner over the years in every model I have owned & am currently on a Large Sultan w/ 70mm stem.

PS. I love this bike, I am often heard to say it is the best one I have ever thrown a leg over (and that's a pretty extensive list) :thumbsup:

·
meow?
175 Posts
I want mine sooo bad...

something I did notice though. the rear isn't as pretty as the new Spot, etc. coming out this on year , looks like a Buner IMO.

anyone know if the XL has dual taco's?

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
IwantCake said:
anyone know if the XL has dual taco's?
Nope

LyNx- I ride an XL Burner with 120 stem, I also test rode JNC's Sultan, I will probably go with an XL and 90mm stem, like JNC said, they are designed to have a long TT and shorter stem. The large and 70mm stem sure handled nicely, cockpit was a little tight for me though.

Personally, I was wanting more travel than the Reba too, but that's just me.

·
meow?
175 Posts
rroeder said:
cool... thanks. :thumbsup:

I would like a bigger fork also, I do like the Reba for the size travel it is though. I just couldn't wait on a the fork companies to make something "we" obviously think should be available. thought about going to a WB, but I read so many mixed reviews I shyed away from them. maybe next year when they get the small little bugs worked they seem to still have.

has anyone thought of running a DUC? not sure if DT built the frame in mind for a dual crown, but would it be a safe longer travel option?

I saw one somewhere with a Lefty, but I don't think I could ever go that direction.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
IwantCake said:
has anyone thought of running a DUC? not sure if DT built the frame in mind for a dual crown, but would it be a safe longer travel option?
I've thought about it. DT didn't seem to have a problem with it, and after all the tubeset is nearly equivilant to the Spot, which is DUC approved. If the DUC floats your boat otherwise, go for it. :thumbsup:

Don't forget that the Sultan is approved for up to a 130mm fork, so if you're planning on pushing it hard a White Brothers 130mm fork makes it a very capable trail bike.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
IwantCake said:
Longer travel, but not much longer. The DUC + 29er travel limiters is only 112mm of travel. A-c is about the same as a Reba in 100mm mode.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.