Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone actually ridden their 2007 Superlight on real trails? I can't find one report on this forum! Maybe I've missed it but I'm REALLY looking forward to someone actually test driving their new ride and telling us about it! And an added bonus would be a comparison to earlier Superlights. I also have a Turner Burner and cruise the Turner forum--it's nothing but ride/equipment reports and all interesting reading. I have a medium ano SL frame on order and am itching to hear about what I'm going to be riding, so please help me and others out!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Full report coming

UPS Tracking shows my bike arriving 2/1, a heck of allot sooner than I thought!

I will spend the entire weekend getting to know my new friend and will post the ride report.

BTW, I am not coming from another dedicated XC frame but a Heckler built up light.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
xcguy said:
Has anyone actually ridden their 2007 Superlight on real trails? I can't find one report on this forum! Maybe I've missed it but I'm REALLY looking forward to someone actually test driving their new ride and telling us about it! And an added bonus would be a comparison to earlier Superlights. I also have a Turner Burner and cruise the Turner forum--it's nothing but ride/equipment reports and all interesting reading. I have a medium ano SL frame on order and am itching to hear about what I'm going to be riding, so please help me and others out!!
Mountain Bike Fiction had a ride report on the new Superlight last month. It was the cover. They seemed to like it alot.

Otherwise, it looks as though they are just now starting to ship out, so no one really has any real time on one.

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read the MBA story

mtnbikej said:
Mountain Bike Fiction had a ride report on the new Superlight last month. It was the cover. They seemed to like it alot.

Otherwise, it looks as though they are just now starting to ship out, so no one really has any real time on one.
They've always liked the SL and like the 2007 even better. A bike manufacturer can always "improve" on some design but that doesn't mean the previous version sucks. I've got a 7 year old Sugar with vees that I still take to Moab for old times' sake. In fact, I flipped a coin in 2000 between the SL and the Sugar. I now know that my medium Sugar has a 23.9" effective top tube vs. the older SLs 22.5: I've gotten used to a longer tt. When I read the article and saw that the 2007 has a 23" tt I was sold.

My Burner has a 23.25" tt and is real plush but doesn't accelerate uphill like my 2003 single pivot Sugar 2+ (ok, I have three bikes!) so I'm hoping that the 2007 SL will be a compromise between the two. And I can't wait to build up that sweet frame--but of course I have to wait.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I rode mine for the first time yesterday, but got in little action on real trails. A friend and I went riding on a frozen lake nearby. We got in some time on a hardpacked snowmobile trail and the bike felt awesome. Once I leaned to trust the bike it cornered extremely well, even in the snow. I've ridden hard-tails for the past decade or so and was concerned with rear-flex, but I've noticed none. The bike pedals very nicely. With the propedal activated you hardly feel the rear end moving, even while hammering. We're planning a trip south to find some trails some time this week and I'll give a full report then. Until then, I hope this helps some.

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

dirtyroadie said:
I rode mine for the first time yesterday, but got in little action on real trails. A friend and I went riding on a frozen lake nearby. We got in some time on a hardpacked snowmobile trail and the bike felt awesome. Once I leaned to trust the bike it cornered extremely well, even in the snow. I've ridden hard-tails for the past decade or so and was concerned with rear-flex, but I've noticed none. The bike pedals very nicely. With the propedal activated you hardly feel the rear end moving, even while hammering. We're planning a trip south to find some trails some time this week and I'll give a full report then. Until then, I hope this helps some.
although riding on a frozen lake, I think we would all agree, isn't the same as hammering on dry trails! I can't imagine a better fs bike for a hardtail guy to buy to make the transition to suspension. I also have a hardtail (ok, I have 4 bikes!) but since I've been riding fs my hardtail is on my trainer. I bet you'll feel the same after you get to know your SL better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Finally got some serious riding in on the Superlight yesterday. Three of us traveled to a state park and did some riding out there. Basically everything but the bike and the weather went wrong for me. We started out going up some hiking trails which ended up getting us stuck, we turned around and started riding down. At one point I bit it on some ice and landed on my ass. I later found out that I had my Rudy Project glasses in my rear pocket and they got crushed... complete with prescription insert. Oh well, it was time for new glasses anyway. We kept riding and found some marvelous trails. In the downhill sections the bike tracked extremely well and I was able to ride a lot more confidently than I have been. I was able to keep up with the other two, but they were on a new Blur 4x and a new Nomad. Where I thought the bike really stood out was on the climbs. Even in choppy climbs the rear wheel tracked over everything, I never even felt I had to turn the ProPedal on on my RP23. Later on in the ride we were doing a log bride and I slide off the side and bit it again in a rock garden, landing square on a knee that was already bothering me and scratching up the stanchion on a F100 with two rides on it. Oh well, it can be repaired. The summary of the story is I love the bike. Not as fast going down as some of the bigger bikes out there, but there's more to mountain biking than going down (although some may argue with me).

·
Registered
559 Posts
07 SL Rides AWESOME!

got mine last Friday and ridden it 4 times now. the local riding is steep up and down. about 2,500 feet of climbing with a screamer 1,500 vertical descent in about 1.5 miles
tight, twisty singletrack thru the trees with a few small drops thrown in

Coming from a SWorks Endo for comparison
it pedals like a hardtail. much easier to get up the hill
about 1.5 inches shorter wheelbase, so it is much quicker handling

Mostly an XT build
RP 23 shock
Swapped out the fork for a Talus 32 100/120/140
Nevegal 2.1 in the rear. Nevegal 2.3 up front
Plenty of rear tire room by the way

I am faster up and down the hills on this thing.

This is one oustanding trailbike!!! Love it. worth the wait.

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you adjust your Talus' travel?

fat.tires said:
got mine last Friday and ridden it 4 times now. the local riding is steep up and down. about 2,500 feet of climbing with a screamer 1,500 vertical descent in about 1.5 miles
tight, twisty singletrack thru the trees with a few small drops thrown in

Coming from a SWorks Endo for comparison
it pedals like a hardtail. much easier to get up the hill
about 1.5 inches shorter wheelbase, so it is much quicker handling

Mostly an XT build
RP 23 shock
Swapped out the fork for a Talus 32 100/120/140
Nevegal 2.1 in the rear. Nevegal 2.3 up front
Plenty of rear tire room by the way

I am faster up and down the hills on this thing.

This is one oustanding trailbike!!! Love it. worth the wait.
It would seem that changing between the three travel settings would make a big difference in the the headtube angle, the quickness or not of the steering and the climbability vs. descendability--longer travel upfront means you're not as low in the front when climbing but more confidence inspiring going down. I've always just had 4" travel bikes front and back. My question really is: do you think the overall ride of the '07 SL is "better" in one of the travel settings on the Talus, so much so that you'd just decide to leave it in that setting. And, BTW, I'm still waiting for my frame while you're out riding that sweet machine! And furthermore you have dry trails in February. That's just a dream right now in Colorado.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Singletrack magazine (UK based) has a review of the new Superlight in the new issue (issue 33). I can't recall the detail but the summary was that basically it rides like the old one, which is no bad thing.

·
Registered
559 Posts
My CO buddies are crying the blues right now. But you guys just wait a bit longer and it will bust wide open again. Front range, then high country.. Drool... The trails here in the SF area dried out quickly from last week's rain.

I definately adjust the travel. Climbing with it in 100 locked out. I leave the rear shock unlocked and do not notice any pedal induced bob. It really is a great climber. I have not tried climbing with the fork in a a longer setting.

As for descending, i have done some short descents at 100mm and if feels pretty good. But there is a noticable difference with the fork in the 140 setting.

This pic is with the fork at 140.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am very interested in sizing questions with the new geometry. Has anyone that had the previous Superlight ridden the new one yet? Did you get the same size or go down a size and get a laid back seatpost. I am just under 6'3 and have a 34 inch inseam and have a large on order. I had an XL SL in the previous model and it felt good with the 24.5 to tube. Your thoughts from those that have had the same challenge on sizing would be helpful.

·
Registered
559 Posts
according to the SC sizing chart, at 5-8 I am right in the middle of the 07 SL chart for a Medium frame. I prefer a larger frame, went with the 07 SL Medium and a 110 stem. The bike fits me well. It does not feel to big. If were any taller, the bike may feel too small.

hope this helps. It all comes down to preferences.

I did speak with someone at SC bikes via email, who told me the sizing of the 07 SL was about the same as what you would feel on an 06 Blur XC. Try shooting them an email at [email protected]

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More test rides please

I finally got my '07 SL frame a few days ago. Even if I did get it built up today there's no riding on trails here on the Front Range of Colorado, so any test reports from me will be in the future, maybe not till after Moab in mid-March. When I do ride it I'll be comparing it to my '04 Turner Burner and '03 Sugar 2+. All three bikes will have essentially the same build except the SL will have an '07 Fox F100 RLC and the other two have Rebas. The Turner is a very plush four-bar linkage suspension and the Sugar is a single pivot.

To say I'm excited and frustrated at the same time is correct. I've been wanting a Superlight for years now and finally I do own one! That said, I've seen a few test rides from people coming straight off hard tails so the entire concept of suspension is very new to them. Anybody out there either coming off an earlier version of the SL or another fs Santa Cruz bike or a Specialized FSR or anything full suspension who can give me an idea of how this new frame rides compared to their other full suspension bike? I'm itching to give you all my impressions but that's not for awhile.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I just got done with some serious dirt testing on my new SL. Wow. I have ridden many full suspension bikes - G.F. Sugar, Specialized FSR, GT I-Drive, GT LTS, Norco, Blur and Nomad - nothing, I mean nothing pedals like this bike. I have yet to test it out on super steep downhills, but I climbed some stuff on my SL that I have not cleaned in a while, and I tell you, this bike is made to climb. I couldn't believe the switchbacks I pulled off on this bike! I am usually tentative on a new rig, but I was right at home within about a mile on this baby. I can't wait to take him out again:thumbsup:
http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=236661&stc=1&d=1171955999

Attachments

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's what I'm talking about

asa said:
I just got done with some serious dirt testing on my new SL. Wow. I have ridden many full suspension bikes - G.F. Sugar, Specialized FSR, GT I-Drive, GT LTS, Norco, Blur and Nomad - nothing, I mean nothing pedals like this bike. I have yet to test it out on super steep downhills, but I climbed some stuff on my SL that I have not cleaned in a while, and I tell you, this bike is made to climb. I couldn't believe the switchbacks I pulled off on this bike! I am usually tentative on a new rig, but I was right at home within about a mile on this baby. I can't wait to take him out again:thumbsup:
http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=236661&stc=1&d=1171955999
Finally, an '07 with dirt on it after a ride! It's good to hear of its climbing abilities because I'm way more of a climber than a downhiller. I don't necessarily need the SL to be plush because that's what the Burner is, but I want a bike that pedals uphill instantly and basically just does everything well. It's all personal opinion whether a bike does this or that well. I've ridden full suspension for ten years now and know what I need my bike to do. 4" of travel front and back is enough for my riding style. Go out and ride your bike some more for me, will ya?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Posted on Superlight Love forum ...

I just got by SC SL on Saturday, and I love the bike. I got the 1999 LX OTS build, and couldn't be happier with the purchase!

Re-post with a few edits:

I took the bike out today on a 14 mile loop through the Marin Headlands: probably not the best terrain for this bike, but I know the route and wanted to compare this ride to the four bikes I had previously tested on this loop. The weather was perfect, but there were some seriously muddy spots ... one of which had me half-way to the hubs under mud/water. Horrible for the trail [absolutely no choice], but I didn't fall down.

Fire road descents on this were just okay: nothing like the SIR9, but equal to the RUSH and the Racer-X, from what I could tell [I am very new to this]. This bike won't let me out of the saddle on the steepest climbs, as the rear wheel immediately loses traction. I don't know what this says about the bike, the rider, or both ... but I found out that I didn't actually need to get out of the saddle to climb hills on this bike -- just sit down, and start pedaling: the bike will do the rest.

The suspension was perfect: there is absolutely NO pedal bob, but the ability to smooth out the bumps and help me navigate a rocky, steep, descent was great. I am a total newbie to FS, but I have no regrets on this purchse!

(Photos in my gallery: there are even some with mud!)

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Test rides--on fire roads, that is

Here I was the one griping about no real test ride reports--I now own a built-up '07 and all I can do is ride bike paths or a steep service road that's near real trails but they are all muddy now (and snowy since December). As I peddle along I can only dream how this bike will perform on a real rocky singletrack. I have Moab in a couple of weeks and a few spins up and down Amasa Back and Sovereign should give me some idea, but for now, sorry folks. I can tell you it's light and quick...on fire roads, that is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.