Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used '06 Jamis Diablo for the wife to use on some lift assisted DH. She weighs about 135 lbs.

The previous owner replaced the stock Manitou Stance with an '07 Marzocchi Super T RCV.

It has non-replaceable coil springs with air preload in both legs, I let out all the air and cranked the external compression damping all the way down. After this weekend of riding at Northstar doing some 3ft drops to flat, nothing too big but definitely not straight up XC, she had only gone through about half the travel.

What can I do short of selling her fork and buying a Boxxer or Totem with replaceable coil springs to make it work a little better for her? Or should I just save my time/money/aggravation and buy a new fork because this one definitely won't work?

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
big_mountain_biker said:
Just bought a used '06 Jamis Diablo for the wife to use on some lift assisted DH. She weighs about 135 lbs.

The previous owner replaced the stock Manitou Stance with an '07 Marzocchi Super T RCV.

It has non-replaceable coil springs with air preload in both legs, I let out all the air and cranked the external compression damping all the way down. After this weekend of riding at Northstar doing some 3ft drops to flat, nothing too big but definitely not straight up XC, she had only gone through about half the travel.

What can I do short of selling her fork and buying a Boxxer or Totem with replaceable coil springs to make it work a little better for her? Or should I just save my time/money/aggravation and buy a new fork because this one definitely won't work?
Try pulling one of the springs out.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
big_mountain_biker said:
It has non-replaceable coil springs with air preload in both legs, I let out all the air and cranked the external compression damping all the way down.
By this do you mean that you increased (+) the compression damping? For the least amount of compression damping, I always assumed that decreased the damping (-). This could be part of the problem.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
006_007 said:
Try pulling one of the springs out.
Thanks :thumbsup: Never thought of that, sounds like a great idea. I think I'll give that a shot, anyone else try pulling a spring from a Marzocchi 2 x coil fork and running it with a single coil successfully? Is either leg a better option?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mtn. Biker123 said:
By this do you mean that you increased (+) the compression damping? For the least amount of compression damping, I always assumed that decreased the damping (-). This could be part of the problem.
I minimized the damping, turned it all the way in the "-" direction.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
you can also compress the fork a bit and open the preload valve to run negative preload.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
scottzg said:
you can also compress the fork a bit and open the preload valve to run negative preload.
Never knew that was possible, I'll give that a shot since I haven't been able to find a service manual for the '07 Super T RCV and I'm fork surgery virgin. Sounds like a really easy option, thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I tried the negative air pressure by opening the valve and compressing the fork. It made it a little more plush, but really didn't make too much of a difference.

I think I'm going to try taking out one of the springs.

I still haven't been able to find a manual for the '07 Super T, the closest thing I could find was an '06 Jr T manual. Based on the '06 Jr T all I need to do is unscrew the top cap and pull the spring out. Is this procedure similar on the Super T?

Thanks.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
big_mountain_biker said:
So I tried the negative air pressure by opening the valve and compressing the fork. It made it a little more plush, but really didn't make too much of a difference.

I think I'm going to try taking out one of the springs.

I still haven't been able to find a manual for the '07 Super T, the closest thing I could find was an '06 Jr T manual. Based on the '06 Jr T all I need to do is unscrew the top cap and pull the spring out. Is this procedure similar on the Super T?

Thanks.
pm Dave and bring the bike over... he might be able to help ya out on taking the fork apart. I would try something like an oil change or something first. Simple and swap. There's also a trail close by in Pinole which we can test it out on... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mrpercussive said:
pm Dave and bring the bike over... he might be able to help ya out on taking the fork apart. I would try something like an oil change or something first. Simple and swap. There's also a trail close by in Pinole which we can test it out on... :thumbsup:
That would be sweet. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) we're headed to Northstar on Friday and coming back on Saturday so we won't get a chance to come over before before heading to N*.

I'll go ahead and PM Dave to see if he is available on Saturday evening or Sunday.

I called Marzocchi earlier today, they actually recommended taking out both springs and making it an air fork :confused: I asked if I could just take out one and they said that I could but it still might not be soft enough. They were very helpful and said that typically riders under 140 lbs need to take out coil springs to setup the fork for their weight. I also want to change the oil, I was hoping to do both jobs in one fell swoop. I'll see if I can find some 5 or 2.5 wt oil. :thumbsup:

·
Dirt Diva Little h
540 Posts
Try the spring removal

I owned a Z1 FR1 and am 127# and had to remove one spring to get the proper sag and use the travel. Try it and see if the sag is right. What other adjustments does the fork have? Oil weight is a good call as well but I would try 5wt. Marzocchi runs 7.5wt. I have put 5wt in my 888 and that worked great and also in my fox 40 (damper) and it helped alot.
If you go the new fork route the totem coil rocks for light riders. The white spring is the lightest and you may have to get it direct from RS, I did. It is the plushest fork I have ever ridden and 6.1 pounds with the white spring and 1.5" steerer tube. And I did not have to change the oil weight. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I owned a Z1 FR1 and am 127# and had to remove one spring to get the proper sag and use the travel. Try it and see if the sag is right. What other adjustments does the fork have? Oil weight is a good call as well but I would try 5wt. Marzocchi runs 7.5wt. I have put 5wt in my 888 and that worked great and also in my fox 40 (damper) and it helped alot.
If you go the new fork route the totem coil rocks for light riders. The white spring is the lightest and you may have to get it direct from RS, I did. It is the plushest fork I have ever ridden and 6.1 pounds with the white spring and 1.5" steerer tube. And I did not have to change the oil weight. Good luck!
Thanks for the input. The fork has air preload in both legs along with external rebound and low speed compression.

I'd really rather not turn it into an air fork so hopefully removing one of the springs does the trick. Between the light weight oil and the spring removal I have a feeling it will work out well.

She was actually into the Totem, if these mods don't get the Super T to behave nicely she'll be getting a Totem coil.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
big_mountain_biker said:
Thanks for the input. The fork has air preload in both legs along with external rebound and low speed compression.

I'd really rather not turn it into an air fork so hopefully removing one of the springs does the trick. Between the light weight oil and the spring removal I have a feeling it will work out well.

She was actually into the Totem, if these mods don't get the Super T to behave nicely she'll be getting a Totem coil.
you're going into the right direction... Moco is where it's at... XD Why not a Boxxer??? Hmmmmmmm :D

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mrpercussive said:
you're going into the right direction... Moco is where it's at... XD Why not a Boxxer??? Hmmmmmmm :D
She doesn't seem to be into raising the front end any higher than it is. She also wouldn't mind going with a 1.5 steerer and ditching the reducers, but most importantly those 40mm stanchions are damn sexy :thumbsup:

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
big_mountain_biker said:
She doesn't seem to be into raising the front end any higher than it is. She also wouldn't mind going with a 1.5 steerer and ditching the reducers, but most importantly those 40mm stanchions are damn sexy :thumbsup:
A2C of the Boxxer is 4mm shorter than the super t. Totem is 5mm shorter than the Boxxer.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Sunday we took the fork apart drained the stock krapy fluid out and found the seals & dust covers were ultra dry. Thought I had enough Showa 2.5 to do both fork legs but I was wrong so I did the 2.5 in the left leg and Maxima #5 synthetic in the right at 100mm with a single spring, washer & preload spacer in the right side. Re assembled using RaceTec seal lube on the seals & dust covers wow soooo smooth compared to stock. Did some fiddling with air pressures & adjustments then suddenly it woke up. :rockon:

Now we wait for the ride results thanxz for all the feed back was all useful. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.