Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$2,200.00 Stumpy FSR Comp vs. $1,899.00 Ibex Atlas Pro

I know the 2007 Stumpy FSR Comp won the MBAction trail shootout and has a proven performance history, but I am worried about the fact that it is mostly specialized spec components. On the other hand I know the 2007 Ibex Atlas Pro is a new production bike and therefore unproven, but Ibex did buy the frame design from Azonic. If you look at Azonic's sight they produce the frame out of 7005 Alum tubing and it sells for approx $900.00. While Ibex uses the same frame design except made out of lighter 6069 Alum tubing and sells it for approx $799.00. From what I could tell 6069 Alum is pretty high quality material. In addition, the Atlas Pro's component group alone could be sold aftermarket and net more than the bike is worth. However the Single Pivot Point design does worry me. So any other opinions or info anyone would like to share about these two rides!!!!

Azonic's Atlas Frame
http://www.azonicusa.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=52_30&products_id=205

2007 Stumpy FSR Comp Specs:
FRAME FSR M5 manipulated alloy frame w/ Transform monocoque TT, sealed cartridge bearing pivots and rear shock mount, replaceable derailleur hanger, two sets of water bottle bosses, disc only, 120mm travel
REAR SHOCK Fox Triad, custom on-the-fly 3-position switch 1) lock out 2) Open 3) ProPedal pedal assisting damping, adjustable rebound, 7.75x1.75"
FORK Fox Float 120 RL, 120mm, rebound/compression adj, lock out, alloy steerer
HEADSET 1 1/8" Threadless, alloy cups w/ 10mm insertion, sealed cartridge bearing
STEM Specialized adjustable rise, OS 31.8, 3D forged w/CNC finish
HANDLEBARS Specialized XC low rise 31.8mm OS bar, 2014 butted alloy, 6 degree up, 8 degree backsweep, 620mm width
FRONT BRAKE Avid Juicy 5, hydraulic disc, G2 Clean Sweep S/M: 185mm rotor, L/XL 203mm rotor
REAR BRAKE Avid Juicy 5, hydraulic disc, G2 Clean Sweep S/M: 160mm rotor, L/XL 185mm rotor
BRAKE LEVERS Avid Juicy 5
FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano M581 LX, 34.9mm clamp, bottom swing, dual pull
REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM X-9, 9-speed, long cage
SHIFT LEVERS SRAM X-7, aluminum trigger 9-speed
CASSETTE / FREEWHEEL Shimano HG50, 9-speed, 11/34t
CRANKSET Truvativ Stylo, 2pc crank/BB
CHAINRINGS 22S/32A/44A 4mm thick outer, 4 bolt 104/64mm
BOTTOM BRACKET Truvativ GXP, sealed outboard cartridge bearing
PEDALS Shimano M-520 SPD
RIMS DT custom for Specialized X430, 24mm w/eyelets, 32h
FRONT HUB Specialized Stout disc, sealed cartridge bearing, high/low flange, 32h
REAR HUB Shimano M-525 disc, 32h, alloy QR
SPOKES DT Swiss 1.8mm stainless, black, alloy nipples
SADDLE Specialized BG Rival, hollow Cro-Mo rails
SEAT POST 2014 butted alloy, black, 30.9 x 350/400mm

2007 Ibex Atlas Pro Specs:
Frame: Single-Pivot 6069 Aluminum - 5" Travel
Fork: Manitou Minute Super SPV* - 140mm
Rear Shock: Manitou Evolver ISX-4 SPV*
Shifters: Shimano XT Rapidfire
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR
Crankset: Shimano XT (44/32/22T)
Cassette: Shimano XT (11-32T)
Chain: KMC X9
Brakes: Shimano XT Hydraulic Disc Brakes
Levers: Shimano XT
Rims: Sun SOS Welded Mid-Width Rims
Hubs: Shimano XT Centerlock
Spokes: Richmond 14G Black Stainless
Tires: WTB Moto Raptor Race 26" x 2.24
Headset: Cane Creek S-3
Cockpit Set: Ritchey Pro Alloy
Saddle: WTB Pure V Race FR
Pedals: Shimano M520 SPD Clipless

·
Registered
524 Posts
I say go for the Stumpy. I owned an 04 and have since given it to my brother, but it's an awesome bike. You really can't go wrong buying a specialized. They put alot of their brand components on their bikes, but I wouldn't worry about that. They just do it to keep the prices down I guess. The components are solid and you can always upgrade in the future.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Hard to beat the Stumpy, but...

It's just hard to compare the Stumpjumper FSR to anything else because of factors linked to it's overall reputation and the suspension linkage design. To me personally, it comes down to whether or not you have enough faith in the simplicity of the Atlas single pivot, and the ability for of the Evolver to minimize pedal bob. You already acknowledge that the Atlas is pretty much superior in all areas of the component spec. The last remaining issue as already mentioned is a comfort level in buying sight unseen, without a test ride. Your call. There are merits in both bikes. I've already plunked my hard earned cash on an Atlas Expert. If you have some time to wait, I'll have a ride report posted in the Ibex forum by Monday, 2/12.

Bob

·
Registered
834 Posts
The Horst Link, Fox Float/Triad Pro Pedal suspenders front and rear, LBS service warranty, Specialized warranty on frame plus you get to ride it before buying is a no brainer for me.

Are these all worth the extra $300?

-Horst Link vs Single Pivot advantages and disvadvantage.
-Compare the Fox Forx vs Manitou Forks performance and pricewise. $
-Trip to the LBS for whatever questions, complaints, adjustments, repairs and warranty issues. $
-Specialized name appeal plus resale value. $

-Getting to ride before buying - priceless.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Stumpy

Stumpy simply provides better specs: One chooses FS 1st by frameset, then fork, then shock...Stumpy has a leg up there (i.e. FOX vs Manitou), a lifetime frame warranty, a chance to test ride it, and proven track record over many years.

I can't commment on the ride of the Ibex, but single pivot is a great ride also, however, it depends on setup, pivot placement, and parts mix on how it performs.
Good luck, Jim

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a stumpy comp 07 and I love it, climbs as good if not better than my hardtail and bombs down everything. I personally perfer the sram over the XT, sure the shifting isnt as crisp but it stays in tune sooooo wel. If you live in a big city you should have a lbs that demos them, take one fer a spin on a local trail and see how it feels. My only complaint is that the seatpost cant be lowered, so it made steep decents a bit awkaward at first, but now its fine.

·
Company CSR
1,027 Posts
JimC. said:
Stumpy simply provides better specs: One chooses FS 1st by frameset, then fork, then shock...Stumpy has a leg up there (i.e. FOX vs Manitou), a lifetime frame warranty, a chance to test ride it, and proven track record over many years.

I can't commment on the ride of the Ibex, but single pivot is a great ride also, however, it depends on setup, pivot placement, and parts mix on how it performs.
Good luck, Jim
To be fair, I think the Stumpjumper Comp should be compared more properly to the IBEX Atlas Expert at $1499 or, actually, the IBEX Asta Expert X9 at $1399 (Asta is our 4-bar XC series most like the SJ). The components on the Atlas Pro flat blow away the parts mix on the Stumpjumper Comp. While some may favor the Fox name, others like Manitou better... and you're assuming Fox to be better even when comparing mid-level Fox stuff (on the SJ Comp) to top-of-the-line Manitou (Atlas Pro) which just isn't so.

The IBEX also carries a Lifetime Warranty on the frame. IBEX has a track record proven over many years, though certainly not as many as Specialized. I can't deny the factor of the pre-purchase test ride, but that is more than offset by the lower IBEX prices and our 30-day Satisfaction Guarantee.

Regards,
Jack A.
IBEX Bicycles

·
Registered
98 Posts
well if the 30 day moneyback gurantee includes the cost of shipping back to ibex, maybe you could get it and demo the stumpy head to head, and decide what you like best. I would PM jack from Ibex maybe he could give you the details.

·
Registered
349 Posts
olderguy makes a great point. i bought my 06 SJ at near full retail, i prob could of shopped around or purchased used but the extra $ spent at the local LBS for adjustments, questions, etc has been worth it hands down. i'm sure the ibex is a great bike too.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
New Questions????

Is the Atlas frame powdercoat or anodized???

How much did Ibex change the frame dimensions from Azonic's design???

And what size Atlas frame does the posted 28lb target weight refer too because I will be needing a 20.5 inch frame since im 6'-2" with a 34" inseam???

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The target weight refers the middle sizes, prob around the 18.5 frame size. That is without pedals of course.

Their paintjob would probably be the least expensive, its an area to save money in but it still looks great.

Look at the geometry charts
http://www.azonicusa.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=52_30&products_id=205

Atlas Geometry Chart
Frame Size
16.5" 18.5"

20.5"
Rear Travel
5" 5" 5"
Head Angle
69° 69° 69°
Seat-Tube Angle
72° 72° 72°
Effective Top-Tube Length
22" 23" 24"
Chain-Stay Length
16.9" 16.9" 16.9"
Offset (mm)
39mm 39mm 39mm
Wheelbase
41.9" 42.9" 43.9"
Actual Standover
26" 27.5" 29"
Effective Standover
29" 30.5" 32"

Crankarm Length
175mm 175mm 175mm
Stem Size
6°x100mm 6°x110mm 6°x120mm
Typical Rider Height
5'3" - 5'9" 5'8" - 6'0" 5'11" - 6'4"

looks the same to me

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.