Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
I think I saw the light blue sx trail in the opening of Roam. It made me all Jealous and full of envy; I wanted to powder coat my enduro expert to look like it.

Are you more of a Freerider or one of them Downhillers?

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
The thing I don't like about the new Demos is that the chainstays are really short and the head angle is really slack, so your weight is way over the back tire.

I have an 05 Demo 8 and I'm looking for a change. After riding an 06 SX Trail I for a week I will most likely end up with an SX Trail, it's just a very fun bike that really wants to be in the air and ridden hard.

For some other similar bikes check out the Morewood Shova LT or the Commencal Supreme DH. Not sure if you're looking for other manufacturers but...

·
Registered
13 Posts
yeah, an SX would serve you great. A friend of mine has one and loves it. He can ride the light freeride/all mountain trails during the week and shred some of the local DH runs on the weekend. Should you buy one you won't be dissipointed.

P.S that was Darren Berrecloth on the baby blue Sx with the pink manitous in Roam

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well...I just finished building up an '07 and I got some ride time on it and I'm so stoked! I can't believe how well this things works in every condition. Mine is pretty heavy at 37lbs but I'm using heavy wheels and 2.5" tires F&R. I can actually pedal up hill way better than my 34lb Heckler....and the downhills feel like butter. Best of all this thing just jumps sick....it's so balanced in the air. I didn't have to do any work on the jumps...I just went off and the bike somehow balanced itself out perfectly for me in the air. Yep, this is the bike.

So...Demo 7 vs. SX Trail??? I don't think there's going to be a "HUGE" difference between the two. If I were buying a complete bike I'd buy the Demo 7 I and if I were just buying the frame then I'd get the SX Trail (I just bought the frame for a killer deal). I think I'm going to buy my little bro a Demo 7 soon and if I do I'll do a thorough compare of how the two compare. The price differential on the complete build vs. the parts is just way too compelling to buy a Demo 7 I. You get the frame ($2,200) + the Totem Coil ($900) + everything else for $2999 at most bike shops. The SX Trail 1 build kind of sucks so you kind of have to splurge for the SX 3 and fully build it's $4K+ (ouch). That's why I opted for the frame.

Good luck.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You're not going to get a lot of fact based opinions on the Demo7 as very few people have one yet. I got mine 2 weeks ago but can't ride it due to recovering from a bronken wrist.

You can run a dual-ring setup with Front Derailluer as this is the setup I have - there are cable mounts and all.

The Demo7 also has a travel limiter standard which gives the bike 7.3" of travel - remove the limiter and you have 7.7" travel - so an extra inch over the SX Trail.

From my limited bouncing around on the bike it feels very plush which I really like. The Front and Rear seem well matched but until I hit the trails I won't really know.

·
i drink shower water
1,189 Posts
For Freeriding and Some DH (not solely DH) i would get a SX. Berrecloth was rocking it the opening part of Roam. Plus my buddy just got one, i rode it a bit in Moab. Its a nice rig.. I have never rode a demo 7 but i have a rode a demo 8 and i would choose the SX over that. Of course if you are gonna ride mainly DH and race then get the 7.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
it comes down to ridin.......are you going to ride very hard stuff with drops and all....or more trail rides

·
Registered
658 Posts
CountryBoy said:
How well will the sx take downhill, because i want to start downhilling.
Lots of types of DH, from highspeed down trails, fast with occasional 2-4 feet drops, to extreme like the redbull rampage(not for most mortal souls).

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've sold my Intense M3 now as I haven't ridden it since putting Totems on my SX Trail. I ride my SX Trail on shore, trails, dirt jumps, downhill courses, etc. and I haven't felt it was out classed once. It truly is the best bike I have ever owned in my life. You'll be limited to what you can do with the Demo 7 as it will be a killer on trails and longer rides so it's going to be good for shore and DH mostly.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.