Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to my dealer today, and was asking him, If I could swap out the 07 xtr disc with Magura Marta SL's and he said he would be happy to do so. However, he told me that he suggests staying with xtr's as magura disc's are very hard to bleed and there customer service is terrible. they had so many problems maintaining the brakes that they sent it to another dealer but couldn't get the problem resolved.

I have ridden both XTR and Magura's and i feel margura is way more responsive. but if i am spending this much money i don't want to put up with the hassle. keep in mind i live in Illinois and there aren't many high end bike shops.

What are your thoughts about the brakes? Are they known to be this much of a hassle? your opinions please.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a Cannondale with Martas and I love them....when they're working right. I think finding a tech that can work on them is important. My new Stumpjumper Marathon will have Martas as well so I'm glad I know at least one guy in town that can maintain them for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Magura customer service is pretty good, wife had a problem with the seals on her Julies, Magura sent me new seals for free. The seals they sent were for a different year so I e-mailed them and they duly sent the right seals free of charge....doesn't sound Iike bad customer service to me.
Nowt wrong with Shimano brakes though, my Saints are very nice.

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
I have Marta SL's on my s-works epic, and i love them. They shop however did say they are hard to bleed. I run my brake levers reverse from what the traditional setup is, and the shop had a problem getting them to bleed properly.

As for their customer service........My experience with them was AWESOME! It was cool because the guy that actually fixed my brakes was the guy i spoke with on the phone...it wasent some person that knew very little about bikes like most people have answering the phones. He got me all fixed and ready to ride.

My buddy has the new XTR stuff on his epic, and he loves my martas also.....he loves them so much that you might see a new xtr setup on ebay now so i he can fund the purchase of them! I think the Marta SL's' are a GREAT choice for your brakes, I love them, and i anyone that i know of that has tried them has had nothing but good things to say about them.

You said these are for the Epic correct? Make sure when your dealer orders them, that he specifies they are for an Epic, there is a 90 degree line that they put on the rear caliper so it doesnt interfere with the brain, if he doesent specify that, you will get you brakes, then have to wait a few more days and pay some more $$ for the right brake line with adapter.

Once you get them on, you will love them!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have the Marta SLs and have been running them for a couple of years...other than the rebleed after I cut the hoses to length, I haven't done anything to the brakes (other than pads).

·
Registered
253 Posts
pics, plus... stans rotors?

Here's my new Epic w/ the maguras. It is my first time on discs. Anyone know the feasability of using the lighter weight Stan's coated aluminum rotors? They seem light, but not sure what the Magura rotors weigh in comparison to see if it would be worth it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
vboy19 said:
I was talking to my dealer today, and was asking him, If I could swap out the 07 xtr disc with Magura Marta SL's and he said he would be happy to do so. However, he told me that he suggests staying with xtr's as magura disc's are very hard to bleed and there customer service is terrible. they had so many problems maintaining the brakes that they sent it to another dealer but couldn't get the problem resolved.

I have ridden both XTR and Magura's and i feel margura is way more responsive. but if i am spending this much money i don't want to put up with the hassle. keep in mind i live in Illinois and there aren't many high end bike shops.

What are your thoughts about the brakes? Are they known to be this much of a hassle? your opinions please.
I have '07 XTR disc brakes on my Epic and had Marta's on my '05 Epic. If I had to choose, I'd have to pick my '07 XTR discs. More grip, excellent modulation, easier to set up and maintain. Very light system and a 140mm rear rotor (cool). I weigh 196 lbs.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm not able to speak about the customer service of Magura, as I have no experience with them. I was fortunate enough to test the new XTR vs the Magura SL and preferred the Magura SL by a wide margin in terms of modulation, stopping power and silence of operation.

Last weekend, I purchased a full Dainese armor suit along with a Specialized full-face helmet. I am so enamored with the feel of the Maguras that I refuse to wear full-fingered gloves. I'd rather scrape up my hands in a crash than not be in touch with those carbon levers.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Following up from my original post question, I learned that I can't use the stans rotor on my bike up front. I have them now on the back. The reason is that the size L/XL Epic Marathon comes spec'd w/ a larger disc rotor, 180mm, and the caliper is a custom unit for that size bike/rotor, meaning it can't be re-positioned for a smaller rotor. The smaller sized Epics come w/ a 160 rotor in the front so it would probably work for those. Also, the regular consumer Marta isn't the same as my front one.

At least, so I was told.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.